+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit/ PR application and police clearance? or just NBI only?

Discussion in 'General - All Canadian Immigration' started by quennch, May 13, 2012.

  1. HI, any info would be greatly appreciated.
    For PR/OWP application, is the police clearance (rcmp) still needed or just the NBI?
  2. Police Clearance requirements -http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/index.asp

    You may need a criminal and security check if you are coming to Canada as a live-in caregiver, tourist, student, or temporary worker. If you are applying for permanent residence, you must have one done.

    Security checks, also known as police certificates, are required to determine if applicants have a criminal record. They also help visa officers make sure applicants are not a security risk to Canada.

    NBI - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/philippines.asp

    Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

    As you can see there is no definitive yes or no related to checks for an open work permit at this time. One could be required depending on the circumstances of your case.
  3. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5290ETOC.asp#police

    Police certificates

    You, and your family members who are 18 years of age and older and are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens must provide a valid police certificate, clearance or record of no information for each country other than Canada in which you and your family members have lived for more than six months consecutively during the past 10 years. If you or your family members were under 18 years of age when you lived there, you do not need to provide a police certificate.
  4. The link in the above is to live-in caregivers applications and would not necessarily apply to open work permits.

    It may be helpful to review the manual related to processing of work permits which is found here for Foreign Workers:

    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf - no reference is made to clearances so again this is a 'may' situation not a 'shall' unless there is a change to be made to the manuals in coming days or operational bulletins, but at present, while each person must not be inadmissible through criminality or other reason there is no specific statement for an open work permit that requires a police certificate be obtained.

    Again the link related to work in Canada is and states:


    You must also do the following:

    Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Police Certificates for more information.

    [emphasis added re: may]
  5. mine I didn't get police clearance from RCMP,but I passed my NBI..I got my confirmation of PR already...

    but my friend she got her RCMP as well as her NBI and the other countries she stayed for at least 6 months..

    just get both,anyway there's nothing wrong if you pass both,...
  6. what if i dont pass a police clearance as they requested? what will happen? but i passed a NBI!
  7. As per Zardoz it is very well said, you should provide it as long the Embassy requested it kung hindi naman nirequest much better.
  8. hello one of my friend got charged with 321 341 IPC act. these are very small offence of assault. it was an intentional case lodged by the other party to prevent him going abroad. they provoke him for fight and the case is now going on and as you know the indian judicial system case can be longer more then 15 years what should be done in this case.

Share This Page