+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***Ontario Driving License***

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by Rossei, Mar 3, 2017.

  1. Can the G1 test be taken while under a Temporary Resident Visa? Visa-exempt country, so nothing but a stamp in the foreign passport to show.
  2. You can probably take G1 Written Test, however with that, you can only drive/learn when a G-licensed driver with minimum 4 years of experience is riding with you. To take G2 Road Test, you will have to wait minimum 8 months after G1 Written Test. Hence, a visitor normally doesn't apply for license here.

    This is what MTO says,
    • If you are a visitor to Ontario and want to drive while you are here, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country.
    • If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit (IDP) from your own country.
    • If you are taking up residence, you must get an Ontario driver's licence.
  3. #33 pranab24, Sep 14, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Hi @Rossei .... Could you kindly help answer my below question ...

    I have a driving license from US that expired in 2015 (it was valid for 3 years), and then currently I have a UK driving licence (since April 2017). I have always had an Indian driving licence since 2005 and valid till 2021.

    Will these driving licences help me in getting my G1 and/or G2 test waiting time waived off?
  4. Yes provided you can produce driving abstract from issuing country and a valid license. Since your US license expired, you will have to bring driving abstract from India (UK one won't credit you anything as it's very recent).

    Follow the table I posted at Post# 22 on Page 2.
  5. Hi @Rossei

    I got my driving license from Bangladesh which is issued in 2010. Therefore, I can most probably sit for G license straight after G1. Now, some people telling me if I go for G license straight and skip G2 my insurance will be higher. Is that true?

    Also suppose if I give the G2 license test and pass it then do I have to wait 12 months for the G license test?

    Thanks for your help.

Share This Page