+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Old tax return was never carried over

tsf14

Feb 17, 2013
I started in Canada as a student with a SIN number starting with "0" back in 2009. In 2011, i started working part-time and I was given a new SIN number starting with "9".

I was assured both in person in Service Canada and CRA over the phone, that my old number will be merged with my new number and everything will be carried over.

Unfortunately, nothing was merged and the numbers were being treated separately. I can still see both accounts separately online.

In 2011 I claimed my carryover tuition fees from 2010. Later I got reassessed twice, where they changed my claim amount to $0 (as 2010 did not exist with my new SIN). Out of sheer naivety, I did not bother to fight this and let it go.

After all these years, I just realized my mistake. Is there any way I can rectify this? Would it be hard to do given I did not fight my reassessment 5 years ago?

Going forward, I will be getting my PR soon. I know I will be getting a new SIN number, and this time I'll make sure it gets merged properly. I just want to make sure the very first SIN number (starting with '0') will not come back to haunt me.

(P.S: my credit report seemed clean enough, with no indication that the old SIN number is bothering with anything)

dlre

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you have a CRA online account, you can do so through the "adjust my return" or something like that. If you prefer to do it by papers, you can do so by going to http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/README.html and completing the T1-AJD