+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP waiting period, on arrival or application?

Ewd2

Mar 2, 2017
Hello,

I am a dual Canadian citizen and I arrived in Ontario just over 3 weeks ago. I have been a little busy so I will only now finally be applying for my OHIP this Saturday. Does the 3 month wait period start from when I apply, or when I landed 3 weeks ago? Would I need to provide them with any proof that I landed 3 weeks ago? Hoping this won't cause too many issues as my private insurance only lasts for 3 months

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ewd2 said:
Hello,

I am a dual Canadian citizen and I arrived in Ontario just over 3 weeks ago. I have been a little busy so I will only now finally be applying for my OHIP this Saturday. Does the 3 month wait period start from when I apply, or when I landed 3 weeks ago? Would I need to provide them with any proof that I landed 3 weeks ago? Hoping this won't cause too many issues as my private insurance only lasts for 3 months

Thanks!
It is supposed to start from when you actually arrived in Ontario permanently. So yes, in this case they may ask to see proof to show which day you arrived on (maybe something like an airline ticket or passport stamp).

If you have no proof of arrival (say you drove across the border with no stamp in passport), then this may be trickier. To be safe I would go in and register immediately to ensure the waiting period countdown has started.