+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP waiting period: 1.5y in ON, but just became a PR

Canada224505

Jun 7, 2014
Hello! Please help me to clarify the situation!

1. I've been in Ontario for 1 year and 3 months: 7 month on Working Holiday Visa and 6 months as a visitor.
2. I got PR yesterday.
3. Do I still have 3 months waiting period despite of I can prove that I has physicall been in ON for more than 1 year?

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello! Please help me to clarify the situation!

1. I've been in Ontario for 1 year and 3 months: 7 month on Working Holiday Visa and 6 months as a visitor.
2. I got PR yesterday.
3. Do I still have 3 months waiting period despite of I can prove that I has physicall been in ON for more than 1 year?

Thanks!
Go into any Service Ontario office, and most likely they will demand the 3-months waiting period start only from the day you officially landed as a PR (so 3 months starting from yesterday). They will probably not care how long you were actually in Ontario as a visitor.

However there may have been a stage during your PR app that you qualified for OHIP and to start the 3-month wait. If you want to go through a bureaucratic process, you can appeal to the OERC (OHIP Eligibility Review Committee) to see if they will start your 3-month wait from an earlier date. http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/review.aspx

Canada224505

Jun 7, 2014
Thank you for the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee link! probably it's a good idea to try!
Actually hey did already give me a 3 months period but I still think this is a mistake because in their documents and requiremeints they mention "Ontario sesidency", not a PR status....
Any other opinions please?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you for the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee link! probably it's a good idea to try!
Actually hey did already give me a 3 months period but I still think this is a mistake because in their documents and requiremeints they mention "Ontario sesidency", not a PR status....
Any other opinions please?
It's not a mistake. The waiting period can't count while you're here as a visitor and ineligible for OHIP. Waiting period starts the second you actually become eligible for OHIP, which to Service Ontario is when you landed as a PR. They wouldn't care about your time here as a visitor.

What the OERC would review, is the stage in your PR app where it reached the processing point that made you eligible for OHIP. If this point exists, they will tell you the specific day you would have been eligible, and back-date your waiting period to that date. If you have any medical costs now and later find out you should have been covered, they should reimburse you.

Canada224505

Jun 7, 2014
Thank you, Rob_TO

The waiting period can't count while you're here as a visitor and ineligible for OHIP.
I understand that most likely this is how it works, but still havent found any mentioning of this fact in official docs. They don't ask "to be 90 days as an Ontario resident AND while being eligible for OHIP" They ask me to prove the Ontario residence, and this is still Ontario residence, even if it was the period that ineligible for OHIP. I don't as them to pay for that ineligible period, but expected not to have the wating period...
Thank you again, really appreciate our dialogue!