+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligibility

Dillinger

Feb 9, 2013
Hello!

My fiancé is currently in Russia, and she's planning to come to Canada, Toronto to be exact, in May. She's currently 1.5 months pregnant. As soon as she comes, I'd like to get a marriage license, get married, apply for a marriage certificate, which takes 6-10 weeks, and then apply for permanent residency. It seems that she will give birth before she even gets her PR, is it possible for OHIP to cover the birth during the application process? Or do we have to wait until she's approved before she applies for OHIP? And, she'll have to wait 3 months before she receives OHIP, correct? This whole process is rather confusing and any clarification would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Edit - after doing quite a bit of research, I've read that I need to get through the first stage of the application process first, AIP, before applying for OHIP. Is it possible to get through the first stage in 3 months rather than 6 as I've read?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Dillinger said:
Hello!

My fiancé is currently in Russia, and she's planning to come to Canada, Toronto to be exact, in May. She's currently 1.5 months pregnant. As soon as she comes, I'd like to get a marriage license, get married, apply for a marriage certificate, which takes 6-10 weeks, and then apply for permanent residency. It seems that she will give birth before she even gets her PR, is it possible for OHIP to cover the birth during the application process? Or do we have to wait until she's approved before she applies for OHIP? And, she'll have to wait 3 months before she receives OHIP, correct? This whole process is rather confusing and any clarification would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Edit - after doing quite a bit of research, I've read that I need to get through the first stage of the application process first, AIP, before applying for OHIP. Is it possible to get through the first stage in 3 months rather than 6 as I've read?
If you apply inland, stage 1 approval takes around 17 months (not 3 - 6). You can check the inland thread for people's recent times.

So there is pretty much zero chance she will have OHIP anywhere close to her delivery date. If she comes to Canada, you will need to prepare to pay for all pregnancy and delivery costs out of pocket. With a regular OB doc and hospital birth, I'd budget at least $10K-$15K.

Else you can look for a midwife for all pregnancy care and delivery since in Ontario they are supposed to be free to anyone even if they don't have OHIP. However since they are in such high demand, the odds of finding one not already booked will be very low. Usually you need to request a midwife as soon as you find out you're pregnant.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dillinger said:
Hello!

Rob_TO is right, chances of getting OHIP is not good. However, if I were you I would do the following:

Come to Canada before she gets 3 months pregnant
Go to nearest community center, ask to see doctor and explain that you don’t have OHIP, they will provide you with a doctor for follow up appointments.
Once the delivery date is set up, the same doctor might be in the hospital
To avoid high cost don’t over stay in hospital more than 2 nights unless required, get shared room, sometimes it can be empty and it cost less.
Finally ask for payment installments, usually if she doesn’t require an Epidural its around $5K with 1 night stay in shared room, but YOU NEVER KNOW, SO BE PREPARED

I’m saying this because I have seen it done, so Good luck

rababkazim

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
iam migrating to canada in april.i will be 5th month pregnant in april.my delivery is due on 28 aug.i read about the health card in ontario it takes 3 months to cover the cost.if i landed in april 15 i will get it in july 15 after that my delivery will be covered?

Q1) what is the process of getting follow up appointments to gynecologist?
Q2) how much they cost i will need only 3 checkups ?
Q3) do we get exactly in 3 months ? or card can be delayed ?
Q4) is that a good idea going to ontario as compared to alberta where medical if free from first day ?

pls any one advice on this iam really confused.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rababkazim said:
iam migrating to canada in april.i will be 5th month pregnant in april.my delivery is due on 28 aug.i read about the health card in ontario it takes 3 months to cover the cost.if i landed in april 15 i will get it in july 15 after that my delivery will be covered?

Q1) what is the process of getting follow up appointments to gynecologist?
Q2) how much they cost i will need only 3 checkups ?
Q3) do we get exactly in 3 months ? or card can be delayed ?
Q4) is that a good idea going to ontario as compared to alberta where medical if free from first day ?

pls any one advice on this iam really confused.
1. You can get a referral from your family doctor if you can find one, or from any walk-in clinic.
2. There is no set price, so it depends on the doctor
3. You will have OHIP 3 months from landing, so exactly on Jul 15. There won't be a delay as you don't need the card, you just need the OHIP number. You have 3 months to register with Service Ontario after you arrive
4. That's really up to you. If you go to Alberta, you'll need to commit to live there at least 6 months in order to qualify for their healthcare. If you leave before then, they may back charge you for everything.
If you are in Ontario, any pregnancy related costs that happen before Jul 15, you'll need to pay out of pocket.