+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP card question

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
Hi, I like to know what difference it makes if we don't update our citizenship status from PR to Canadian citizen in OHIP record as many people forget after acquiring citizenship to update this status. Is PR and citizen treated differently in OHIP coverage.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No difference.

aviator33072

Dec 15, 2014
Question : I am PRC holder . Went out of Canada and returned this month after staying out of Canada for eight months. My OHIP expired when I was away . As I came back this month I applied for renewal ( filled in renewal application ) and it was accepted by Service Ontario for renewal . Now I have come to know that I should have filled in reregistration form ( not the renewal form ) at service Ontario and 3 month waiting period would apply . Now what should I do . I am thinking to go to service Ontario, tell them that I filled in wrong form and reapply by filling the new OHIP registration form. Any suggestion please.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Question : I am PRC holder . Went out of Canada and returned this month after staying out of Canada for eight months. My OHIP expired when I was away . As I came back this month I applied for renewal ( filled in renewal application ) and it was accepted by Service Ontario for renewal . Now I have come to know that I should have filled in reregistration form ( not the renewal form ) at service Ontario and 3 month waiting period would apply . Now what should I do . I am thinking to go to service Ontario, tell them that I filled in wrong form and reapply by filling the new OHIP registration form. Any suggestion please.
Yes a 3 month waiting period should be required here. As you said, you should correct the info with Service Ontario, so they don't later accuse you of misrepresentation or trying to commit healthcare fraud.

Reactions: aviator33072

aviator33072

Dec 15, 2014
Hi Rob ,
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate . Rob I am concerned that if I go to service Ontario for correction this may delay my health card perhaps even beyond three months . Is that possible ? Rob , Some friend of mine suggested this alternate : He said don't go to service Ontario for correction, instead just don't use the card for initial three months . What would be your opinion on this suggestion.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi Rob ,
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate . Rob I am concerned that if I go to service Ontario for correction this may delay my health card perhaps even beyond three months . Is that possible ? Rob , Some friend of mine suggested this alternate : He said don't go to service Ontario for correction, instead just don't use the card for initial three months . What would be your opinion on this suggestion.
There will be no delay, as you can get an OHIP # instantly on a temporary health card to use as soon as 3-month waiting period is over. You don't need the physical card.

True though if you don't use any health services for 3 months, nothing will probably happen.

aviator33072

Dec 15, 2014
Thank you again Rob , excellent answer . Rob , when I went for renewal earlier this month , they gave me back my old health card and a letter that meant that I am eligible for OHIP . You mentioned in your answer that when I go again for correction they will give me an OHIP number instantly , you also mentioned they would give a temporary health card too. Would they give me a temporary health card also immediately or you actually mean they will give me a letter immediately , letting me know when will my future health card will become valid. Thanks again. Would be looking forward to your reply after which I will soon decide which path to follow.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you again Rob , excellent answer . Rob , when I went for renewal earlier this month , they gave me back my old health card and a letter that meant that I am eligible for OHIP . You mentioned in your answer that when I go again for correction they will give me an OHIP number instantly , you also mentioned they would give a temporary health card too. Would they give me a temporary health card also immediately or you actually mean they will give me a letter immediately , letting me know when will my future health card will become valid. Thanks again. Would be looking forward to your reply after which I will soon decide which path to follow.
Let me rephrase. There will never be a situation where you are eligible for healthcare, but don't have a physical card so can't go to a doctor.

In your case, I don't know if Service Ontario would re-use your old health card number, or issue you a new health card number. Either way, you need to wait for 3 months until you're eligible to use it. So if the 3 months is coming up and you still don't have an updated card mailed to you, you can go to Service Ontario and they will give you a temporary health card on the spot (basically a piece of paper with health card number and validity date). You can use this until you get your actual card in the mail.

mawcanada

Jan 22, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a relevant question, once I land in Ontario I can apply for my health card and wait the three months waiting period, however my spouse will stay a month and travel back to our home country and come back in six months. Does he also apply for oinp with us or he waits until he is back in six months?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I have a relevant question, once I land in Ontario I can apply for my health card and wait the three months waiting period, however my spouse will stay a month and travel back to our home country and come back in six months. Does he also apply for oinp with us or he waits until he is back in six months?
He should wait until he comes back in 6 months to live in Ontario permanently. He would then do a 3 months waiting period at that time.

JayJK

Nov 13, 2016
Hi guys.
I have a question.
My case is...
I habe applied work permit for extension while processing pr application. But my work permit app js transferred to local cic last week. My current work permit will be expired beginning of next month with my ohip.
Is it eligible to renewal my ohip?
I need your advises to solve this problem. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Let me rephrase. There will never be a situation where you are eligible for healthcare, but don't have a physical card so can't go to a doctor.

In your case, I don't know if Service Ontario would re-use your old health card number, or issue you a new health card number. Either way, you need to wait for 3 months until you're eligible to use it. So if the 3 months is coming up and you still don't have an updated card mailed to you, you can go to Service Ontario and they will give you a temporary health card on the spot (basically a piece of paper with health card number and validity date). You can use this until you get your actual card in the mail.
Just want to correct this answer. I would recommend that someone return to Service Canada if ever in this situation and report their absence. You are misrepresenting your absence from Canada. Always best to be honest upfront to save any possible hassles later on.