+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
can anyone shed light on how much time Vancouver CGI is taking for issuing surrender certificate these days? Thanks!

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
can anyone shed light on how much time Vancouver CGI is taking for issuing surrender certificate these days? Thanks!
Its about 2 month I think , I have applied on Aug 15 and I am still waiting , chances are I will get it by Oct 15 if every thing is fine

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
Thank you. no we have tickets to India for end of nov and oath is middle of october.. so just wondering if we would have enough time to get surrender certificate which i can use for e-visa.

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
Thank you. no we have tickets to India for end of nov and oath is middle of october.. so just wondering if we would have enough time to get surrender certificate which i can use for e-visa.
Last year I had same issue as you , I would recommend you to apply tourist visa and with that application write down a letter and mention that you are also applying for Surrender Certificate , I think you still have enough time but make sure you apply both at the same time . As far as I remember BLS told me to send both application in separate package so I had to write a letter which i attached with my Visa application mentioning that I have also applied for surrender certificate on Date xx-xx-xxxx and provide the file # or Reference # so they can search it to confirm.

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
Sorry just realize that you still do not have Canadian passport , If you take oath in middle of OCT you will not have enough time to apply for visa and surrender your passport ( I would not take chance with BLS ) Once you get Canadian passport apply for e visa , its valid for 30 days if you are saying longer than better to call and check with BLS because you don't have much time after you get your Canadian Passport

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
Sorry just realize that you still do not have Canadian passport , If you take oath in middle of OCT you will not have enough time to apply for visa and surrender your passport ( I would not take chance with BLS ) Once you get Canadian passport apply for e visa , its valid for 30 days if you are saying longer than better to call and check with BLS because you don't have much time after you get your Canadian Passport
Thank you. Yes that is the problem and e visa wants a surrender certificate too :(. I checked cgi website and it says we can travel with Indian passport for 3 months after we take the oath. I think that is the safest bet.

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hi all,

I have a query regarding name change in OCI. Let's say an Indian passport holder landed in canada and became a permanent resident some years ago. At that time, his name in the passport was as follows:

Given Name: Sharath Saxena
Surname:

Due to Canadian law stipulating that the surname cannot be blank, his name in Canadian records was as follows:

Given Name:
Surname: Sharath Saxena

He then applied for a legal name change in Ontario and his name was changed officially as follows:

Given Name: Sharath
Surname: Saxena

He then applied for canadian citizenship and in his canadian passport, his name is as follows

He then surrendered his Indian passport & applied for OCI. Now my question is, can he apply for the same name in OCI as in his canadian passport ? or will his name in OCI be same as the indian passport ?
Please advise.

karianna

Jun 12, 2015
Hi all,

I have a query regarding name change in OCI. Let's say an Indian passport holder landed in canada and became a permanent resident some years ago. At that time, his name in the passport was as follows:

Given Name: Sharath Saxena
Surname:

Due to Canadian law stipulating that the surname cannot be blank, his name in Canadian records was as follows:

Given Name:
Surname: Sharath Saxena

He then applied for a legal name change in Ontario and his name was changed officially as follows:

He then applied for canadian citizenship and in his canadian passport, his name is as follows

He then surrendered his Indian passport & applied for OCI. Now my question is, can he apply for the same name in OCI as in his canadian passport ? or will his name in OCI be same as the indian passport ?
Please advise.
The name and details in OCI will be as per the Canadian passport. So, if there are changes in name from the old Indian passport, then provide a cover letter and a copy of the official proof of legal name change. From the BLS OCI checklist:
---------------------------
All the personal particulars of the applicant such as name, date of birth, place of birth,names, etc must be the same in all the supporting documents. If there is any change in personal information, you are required to submit an affidavit explaining the reasons for
change and it should be supported by documentary evidence. For e.g, If there is a change in the first or the last name of the applicant,
then a name change certificate issued by a competent Government authority is required. If the middle part of the name has been added
or deleted from the name, an affidavit in support of that is required.
-----------------------------

Reactions: vishalv

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
The name and details in OCI will be as per the Canadian passport. So, if there are changes in name from the old Indian passport, then provide a cover letter and a copy of the official proof of legal name change. From the BLS OCI checklist:
All the personal particulars of the applicant such as name, date of birth, place of birth,names, etc must be the same in all the supporting documents. If there is any change in personal information, you are required to submit an affidavit explaining the reasons for
change and it should be supported by documentary evidence. For e.g, If there is a change in the first or the last name of the applicant,
then a name change certificate issued by a competent Government authority is required. If the middle part of the name has been added
This clears it up. Thank you so much for clarifying this matter clearly.

Jaya1985

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
soon
OCI Dispatched from India on Sep 5th , But Document received still shows nothing ? Anyone know how long takes to receive from india to Toronto ?

Date of Applciation 28th July
Date Of Acknowledgment: 8th August 2017
Registration Status at Mission TORONTOOCI-
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED ( September 4th 2017)
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On September 5th 2017
Document received At TORONTO On XXXXXX

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Anyone know how long takes to receive from india to Toronto ?
No hard and fast rules. In my case, it took 7 days; others have reported shorter delivery times like 3-4 days.

No point calling BLS, they will just repeat what you already know...

Immigrant84

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2011
Doc's Request.
All documents in order
AOR Received.
Dec 20, 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 23, 2012
Med's Request
Mar 26, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 30, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 7, 2012
LANDED..........
June 21, 2012
OCI Dispatched from India on Sep 5th , But Document received still shows nothing ? Anyone know how long takes to receive from india to Toronto ?

Date of Applciation 28th July
Date Of Acknowledgment: 8th August 2017
Registration Status at Mission TORONTOOCI-
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED ( September 4th 2017)
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On September 5th 2017
Document received At TORONTO On XXXXXX
My timeline is very similar to yours. OCI applied at BLS Toronto.
Date of Application: July 25
Date of Acknowledgement : August 09
Documents Printing Status : Processed on Sep 04
Dispatched from MEA : Sep 05
Received in Toronto : Sep 13

Because I had to travel to US on the 14th, I called them on the 13th itself and asked if it would be possible for me to come and pick it up in person. They said yes. So I did.

bhavikc.patel

Sep 17, 2017
Hi Karianna, I would like to know if I need any covering letter or joint affidavit for Marriage certificate. We both have spouse name listed in our Indian passport. Just noticed that my passport and my kid's passport are having my wife's old name(name prior to marriage ) and my wife's passport has my name (as per my passport). Wondering if I need to do any joint affidavit for Marriage or write any covering letter to specify that.

My wife's old passport does have her old name on it and renewed passport has old passport reference as well (just in case If I need to add any document along with covering letter). Please suggest. Thanks in advance