+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New requirement: Minimum IELTS band score of 5.5 ?

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
My legal assistant told me that CIC now requires a minimum IELTS band score of 5.5 regardless of how many points you can accumulate in other category. So even if I have arranged employment opinion and my total point (without english proficiency) is over 67, CIC will still reject my application if my IELTS band score is less than 5.5. He told me that this is because any applicant obtained IELTS certificate below 5.5 band is considered to be not eligible to handle the Canadian employment. He also said that this new requirement for IELTS is effective from 28.Oct.2008. However, when I went to CIC website, I couldn't find any information about this. So can you guys please confirm this new requirement?

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
I think you might misunderstood what I was trying to say. What i meant was that regardless of how many points I could accumulate from other category, I would still need at least a minimum IELTS band score of 5.5. Based on what my legal assistant told me, this minimum band score is absolutely required,

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
Interesting....I tried to explain to my legal assistant that I would only need to claim 3-5 points in the English proficiency category in order to meet the required 67 points. As such, I would only need to achieve moderate proficiency level in at least 2 categories. However, he said that it doesn't work like that and it's absolutely required to achieve moderate proficiency level on 4 category or CIC will reject my application.
Here what he told me
To claimt points for IELTS, it is required all moderate proficiency level and not applicable to two category in moderate and two categories in basic proficiency.
Listening 5.5 - 7.0 / Reading 5.0 - 6.0 / Writing 5.5 - 6.0 / Speaking 5.5 - 6.0
(each category will be added 2 points)
Repeat again, you will fail visa if IELTS not meet the moderate requirement and not meet the minimum experience
As I said early, he said that this new requirement for IELTS is effective from 28-Oct-2008. I tried to search on the CIC website but couldn't find any information about this. Does anyone else know anything about this requirement?

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
rupeshhari said:
by the way, do you mean overall minimum score of 5.5 or for each category?
No, I believe he mean a moderate proficiency level for each individual category. This means I would need 5.5 on Listening, Writing, and Speaking; and 5.0 on Reading.

I'll quote the CIC website

"*The total number of points awarded at the Basic proficiency level can only be to a maximum of 2 points."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG72.asp

You can also search OP6.pdf
I did tell him about this. But he said that the website doesn't reflect the new rule and that the moderate proficiency level in each individual category is absolutely required. Otherwise, CIC official will deem me not fit for Canadian employment which is.... kinda bullsh*t if it's true. If my English is good enough to work in the U.S, I don't see why I'm not fit to work in Canada. Again, does anyone else know about this rule

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
I have not heard of such a rule! But, my question is why there are so many people who are good at English and are reluctant to take the IELTS? Take it, you'll get peaceful sleep afterwards!

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
wpc71 said:
I have not heard of such a rule! But, my question is why there are so many people who are good at English and are reluctant to take the IELTS? Take it, you'll get peaceful sleep afterwards!
Why am I so reluctant to take the IELTS? Easy, it costs money and I have to drive 3-4 hours to the nearest test center. In addition, I'm just bad at taking test

V

Star Member
Jan 31, 2009
I believe you must prove that you have moderate or high language proficiency in most FSW cases. A minimum IELTS score of 5.5 in each section (except for reading 5.0) will prove that you have moderate English proficiency.

I am not an expert, this is just my opinion.

Good luck

V

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
This will give us all a clear view of the changes came into effect in IELTS scoring

requirements. No need to panic, its the change they made which makes no substantial difference

from the previous one.

Before:
http://www.ziddu.com/download/3339072/ImmigrationCanadaIELTSBefore.JPG.html

Now:
http://www.ziddu.com/download/3339073/ImmigrationCanadaIELTSNow.JPG.html

canadian soon

Feb 5, 2010
its true my lawyer said to me the same thing , i should get moderate on each :p and tomorrow is my ielts exam

WISH ME A BIG LUCK

anayya

Star Member
Aug 1, 2010
plz i am in great trouble as i have arrnged employment and i am scoring 67 points without ielts..my immigration lawyer was saying that cic visa officer just concerns that are u getting 67 points or not...as i got only 4 ielts band overall...plz tell me that is my 4 band sufficient or not...bcz i am scoring 67 without ielts...is there any minimum requirement of ielts..plz plz plz help me in replying guys
regards