+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Urgent Help!!!Can HIV positive person get PR ?

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
jamesfernandez2015 said:
Hi ComputerGeek,

I hope you can answer this question as it's been a while since my last post. My family submitted a PR Application last year of january 2015. We got a reply from CIC asking for my remedical but they did not indicate there that I am medically inadmissible and didn't mention my current HIV status. I'm currently taking efavirenz, lamivudine and tenofovir 1 pill daily and my doctor sent a letter to them about this last year o

Hi juhanjuhan,

May i ask where you HIV+ when you applied for a temporary visa? Are you in canada now? When and where did you contracted the virus?
Thanks for your response.
my mom is in canada and im in the philippines with my family sir. I contracted he virus here in the philippines.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
juhanjuhanjuhan said:
Thanks for the fast response. I think it's accurate. I need to ask my mom though because that's hers. Should I expect another email from CIC which is the fairness letter? And I'm wondering why they're asking for remedical. I'm currently on ARVS right now and the result of remedical might give false negative.
Your mother needs to sort out her status in Canada. If she is in fact in Canada without status, I believe this cancels her application.

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
juhanjuhanjuhan said:
Thanks Scylla. I'll PM her today.
Hi Scylla,

I asked my mom and she said that the date on the email is incorrect and that she already got an extension. Any idea why they're asking for remedical?

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
computergeek said:
You do have a complex case. I can recommend an attorney who is very experienced with cases like your (and is quite passionate about them). Using him will boost the likelihood that your application will be successful (and if it goes to court, your chance of winning is higher). That same attorney can also counsel you about options, including H&C applications, TRPs, etc.
Hello computergeek can you recommend me name of the attorney. I'm from quebec. send me pm. Thanks

Reactions: Leonard1979

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
computergeek said:
The best source of drug costs is the Quebec formulary published by the Regie. It's the only public guide of which I'm aware, but it is comparable to what other provinces pay.

Note that ALL medical conditions are subject to this costs scrutiny, not just HIV. While CIC has been sloppy when it comes to estimating costs, when presented with evidence that the costs do not exceed the excessive demand threshold, the medical officer will withdraw an adverse opinion.

I will send you PM with the names of prospective attorneys.
Hi computergeek,

will trioday (efavirenz,lamivudine,tenofovir) reach the threshold per year? And can you recommend lawyers in toronto? Thanks a lot.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
jamesfernandez2015 said:
I hope you can answer this question as it's been a while since my last post. My family submitted a PR Application last year of january 2015. We got a reply from CIC asking for my remedical but they did not indicate there that I am medically inadmissible and didn't mention my current HIV status. I'm currently taking efavirenz, lamivudine and tenofovir 1 pill daily and my doctor sent a letter to them about this last year o
Being asked for a new medical examination means your old one has expired. It may mean they have decided you are not excessive demand.

I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating: the issue for people with HIV is the cost of medication, not the medical condition itself. If the cost of your drugs is below the threshold, then they won't issue a fairness letter. For the drugs you list, it is actually nuanced, because 3TC (Lamivudine) is inexpensive as it is off patent. Efavirenz ("Sustiva") has recently also gone off patent as a stand-alone drug. Tenofovir is still on patent in Canada, but it expires rather soon. Thus, it is distinctly possible that a medical officer did a cost estimate that did not conclude your cost was above the threshold (~$31,000 for 5 years).

That's consistent with being asked to do a new medical - if the old one is stale, they need to confirm that your medical situation remains the same.

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
computergeek said:
Being asked for a new medical examination means your old one has expired. It may mean they have decided you are not excessive demand.

I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating: the issue for people with HIV is the cost of medication, not the medical condition itself. If the cost of your drugs is below the threshold, then they won't issue a fairness letter. For the drugs you list, it is actually nuanced, because 3TC (Lamivudine) is inexpensive as it is off patent. Efavirenz ("Sustiva") has recently also gone off patent as a stand-alone drug. Tenofovir is still on patent in Canada, but it expires rather soon. Thus, it is distinctly possible that a medical officer did a cost estimate that did not conclude your cost was above the threshold (~$31,000 for 5 years).

That's consistent with being asked to do a new medical - if the old one is stale, they need to confirm that your medical situation remains the same.
+1 Computergeek, you're a great help :)

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
computergeek said:

Hi Computergeek,

Can you recommend a lawyer that has an experience in medical inadmissibility that is active in Toronto. Thanks in advance.

Lbn@20

Mar 14, 2016
Re: Need Urgent Help!!!Hepatitis B

Hi guys, newbie here, just need urgent answers to my worries..my husband is a hepatitis b carrier, his Medical shows everything is normal healthy except his blood test shows hepatitis b, he has this long time ago already, we still need to waite for his blood test result if it is trasferable or he is just a carrier...i think he is just a carrier becouse weve been married for 4yrs and i am clean. My questions...1. Is he inadmisable for PR? My son and I are healthy is there any possibility that we are all denied?..i am so worried for this situation..i am currently residing toronto ontario, i am the principal applicant for PR. Are ther any individual landed here in canada with the same issue as mine? Please please need help what should i do...