+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED SERIOUS HELP! HEALTH CARD EXPIRED, OUT OF CANADA SINCE LAST 2+ YEARS, NOW..

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hello everyone!

I got my permanent residency through the Saskatchewan PNP somewhere in September 2012 (got my PR Card with start date as September 2012). Till somewhere end of June 2013 I was in Saskatchewan. And then in the beginning of July 2013, I left for India due to health and family reasons. (Have to get my surgery done), after which I developed some post surgery symptoms/complications and have been struggling to recover slowly.

As of till date, I am still in India. But now am thinking of returning back in some months to come. (Officially my 3 year stay period of being out of Canada ends somewhere in May 2016). But I am confident that I can make it back to Canada before then.

But the thing is that, this time I would most probably be landing in Vancouver (coz thats where my relatives are)! Now the thing is that I have to start from scratch. Land there, hunt for some suitable place to stay, a small job so that I can survive!

Now comes the major thing, my Saskatchewan Health Card says that it got expired on December 2013. And my Permanent Residence Card expiry date is somewhere in 2017.

Being not in a fit condition, I might need some medical advice/checkup's now and then. So for that here are my questions:

Presuming that I am able to enter Canada and land in Vancouver:

1) Do I need to go back to Saskatchewan and get my health card renewed?
2) Can I apply for a NEW health card in BC (Vancouver)?
3) Do I need a job in order to apply for a new health card in Vancouver?

Would appreciate your inputs on this.

:)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. The eligibility requirement to get a health card in SK is that you make your home in SK at least 6 months a year and if you are planning on moving to BC, this would not be true, hence going to SK to renew your health card could be seen as health care fraud which is a criminal offense.

2. You can and should apply for a new health card in BC if that is where you want to live. However, BC has a 2-3 month waiting period for a health card when you move there so you should have emergency insurance to cover you in the meantime.

3. No, you don't need a job but you need to prove you are residing there which you can do with a bank statement or utility bill sent to a BC address. The easiest would be to open a bank account and ask them to send or give you a statement right away.

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks you sir!

That's as clear as one can get!

Now just two questions:

1) Where does one gets emergency medical insurance from? Let's say I am travelling from my home country to Canada, so do I have to get the medical emergency insurance in my home country before boarding the flight to Canada?

2) Supposingly, I land in BC, and stay there for like around 4-6 months. Apply for a health card immediately. And then if I decide to move back to SK (let's say in around 4-5 months) then will I be still covered under BC health card in SK (till the time I get my SK health card)?

So in a nutshell, whats the best possible solution in this circumstance wherein I am undecided whether I want to stay in BC or move to SK? (I mean I am nominated under PNP, and ethically I need to move to SK till the time I get my canadian citizenship. But since my relatives are in vancouver, I might want to land there first, stabilize myself (like look for some short term job) and then move back to SK (all in whole it could take around 2-4 months).

Thanks.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
There are plenty of private medical insurance options on the market these days. Yet, considering your changing status and the waiting period in BC to receive MSP coverage, which usually takes up to 2,5 months, you will only be eligible to get an emergency insurance plan with stable pre-existing conditions coverage (stability period ranges depending on the insurance plan you choose to go with as well as specific medical condition you have).

You may browse through such insurance plans, calculate personal quote, talk to an insurance advisor and compare different options here - Visitors to Canada / New Immigrants / Returning Canadians Emergency Insurance.

If you are be moving around a lot, you need to decide where you will stay the longest out of a single calendar year. This way you know what insurance plan will be your primary one. Also, you will need additional Travel Insurance for Canadians travelling within the country as your provincial healthcare plan (regardless of your residency) will not fully cover medical costs outside the corresponding province.

Last edited:

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
serious_indian said:
Thanks you sir!

That's as clear as one can get!

Now just two questions:

1) Where does one gets emergency medical insurance from? Let's say I am travelling from my home country to Canada, so do I have to get the medical emergency insurance in my home country before boarding the flight to Canada?

2) Supposingly, I land in BC, and stay there for like around 4-6 months. Apply for a health card immediately. And then if I decide to move back to SK (let's say in around 4-5 months) then will I be still covered under BC health card in SK (till the time I get my SK health card)?

So in a nutshell, whats the best possible solution in this circumstance wherein I am undecided whether I want to stay in BC or move to SK? (I mean I am nominated under PNP, and ethically I need to move to SK till the time I get my canadian citizenship. But since my relatives are in vancouver, I might want to land there first, stabilize myself (like look for some short term job) and then move back to SK (all in whole it could take around 2-4 months).

Thanks.
1) Any travel insurance should be fine. Nobody will ask you at the airport if you have one so you can see if you can buy one in Canada if you'd rather do that but it's just a good idea to have one in case you have an accident or an emergency illness because that can get very expensive if you are not insured.

2) BC also has a 6 month eligibility requirement for health care so you should not leave BC until you've stayed for 6 months or longer. If you don't, you risk the health care fraud again. BC could decide that you were never eligible in the first place and retroactively cancel your insurance and back charge you for any expenses you caused them. At least if your expenses are more than your health care fees. You know in BC, you pay a monthly fee for your health care? When you move to SK, because you are not a newcomer but moving from another province, you'd have a 3 month wait for health care and if you don't have any problem with BC because you stayed at least 6 months, you'd have coverage from BC while you wait for coverage in SK. You are however required to inform BC health that you are moving.

Rabia hashimi

Jul 17, 2017
Hey

I have the some what the same problem my health card is been expired since 2011 and I'm scared that they will ask questions and I need help

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hey

I have the some what the same problem my health card is been expired since 2011 and I'm scared that they will ask questions and I need help
You need to provide more info on your situation if you expect any advice.