+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need information on SETTLEMENT amount under Express Entry PR

abhishekj

Jun 1, 2017
Hello Sir,

I am Abhishek Joshi, had applied for Express Entry PR for my family of three. Last month i have received my PR. I am travelling to toronto on 10th October 2017.

As per CIC, i need to bring the initial settlement amount (C$ 18825.00) for my family. I would like to know whether i can carry that amount in form of cash along with me.

I have checked with certain banks in india regarding Traveller's Cheque, but all of them are suggesting to go for Forex card. But as per CIC i need to carry either travellers cheque or cash.

Now i m worried about, that the indian customs will allow me to carry that much cash along with me.

Awaiting for your reply

Thank You

Bobbieleigh

Dec 11, 2015
You can bring that much cash to Canada. You just have to declare it on your declaration card before landing. Now, I'm not from India so I don't know why Indian customs would have anything against you carrying your own money abroad. We don't have any problems with it in Europe.

sainathreddy

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
Hyderabad - India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello Sir,

I am Abhishek Joshi, had applied for Express Entry PR for my family of three. Last month i have received my PR. I am travelling to toronto on 10th October 2017.

As per CIC, i need to bring the initial settlement amount (C$ 18825.00) for my family. I would like to know whether i can carry that amount in form of cash along with me.

I have checked with certain banks in india regarding Traveller's Cheque, but all of them are suggesting to go for Forex card. But as per CIC i need to carry either travellers cheque or cash.

Now i m worried about, that the indian customs will allow me to carry that much cash along with me.

Awaiting for your reply

Thank You
As far as I know, Indian Customs Officer, or for that matter anywhere in the world, comes into picture once you land at that airport.
And since, CIC mandates that you need to bring that much amount, you need to carry it and please don't forget to declare it upon landing.
Failing to declare might result in the amount being confiscated and you will land in trouble.

And for the point of Traveller's Cheque and Forex Card, tell the banks that you will return only after 3 years or may not return at all; and insist on TCs.
I am sure they should not turn down your request for TCs. If they are adamant, better to go to a different bank.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
As far as I know, Indian Customs Officer, or for that matter anywhere in the world, comes into picture once you land at that airport.
This statement is simply not true. For instance, in my country, we are only allowed to carry a maximum of USD10K in cash when leaving the country. Border officers can stop you from leaving if they find you are carrying more than that.

Reactions: sainathreddy

sainathreddy

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
Hyderabad - India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
This statement is simply not true. For instance, in my country, we are only allowed to carry a maximum of USD10K in cash when leaving the country. Border officers can stop you from leaving if they find you are carrying more than that.
I understand the confusion. I meant, to carry that complete amount in Cash and or TCs.
Having some amount in cash and the rest in TCs is always better.