+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split in Passport, COPR and PR Card

pramodsah

Mar 22, 2015
My bad, not PR card but health card will be issued without photo and name will be repeated twice. And this is for BC not sure about other provinces. Sorry for the typo.
I have one question regarding this..can this health card be used normally...I mean are there any disadvantage of having a photo-less health card as far as usability is concerned??
Also, please let me know what should be done in case there is no name split possible of the applicant's name?? I mean the name has only one word such as "John"??

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
I have one question regarding this..can this health card be used normally...I mean are there any disadvantage of having a photo-less health card as far as usability is concerned??
Also, please let me know what should be done in case there is no name split possible of the applicant's name?? I mean the name has only one word such as "John"??
Yes, a photo-less health card can be used normally except this won't an acceptable proof for ID verifications.
In case of only one word, "John" will be considered as your last name for PR card, drivers licence and SIN etc. For health card, it will be "John" and "John" as your first name as well as last name.

Reactions: pramodsah

pramodsah

Mar 22, 2015
Yes, a photo-less health card can be used normally except this won't an acceptable proof for ID verifications.
In case of only one word, "John" will be considered as your last name for PR card, drivers licence and SIN etc. For health card, it will be "John" and "John" as your first name as well as last name.
Thanks keypad,
Will there be any problem while availing the medical services in Canada using the photo-less medical card?? Because as far as an I'd is concerned, I think I would have many apart from medical card. So, in case the sole purpose of medical card is served, I don't think a photo-less medical card would be a matter of concern..

Thanks

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
Thanks keypad,
Will there be any problem while availing the medical services in Canada using the photo-less medical card?? Because as far as an I'd is concerned, I think I would have many apart from medical card. So, in case the sole purpose of medical card is served, I don't think a photo-less medical card would be a matter of concern..

Thanks
There won't be any problem with availing medical services. It is very common here, even minor children also get photo less health card.

Reactions: pramodsah

pramodsah

Mar 22, 2015
There won't be any problem with availing medical services. It is very common here, even minor children also get photo less health card.
Thanks a lot sir..Now, I think I can proceed with the application even without last name..
:)

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
@ Keypad: Not sure about British Columbia then..You may have to talk to someone there personally I guess...here as I said (in Ontario) the format was <LastName>, <FirstName>.

Good news is - I got my PR card updated today with split name. So everything is done. So just to re-iterate for everyone - here is the process for splitting the name:

1) Get a name change certificate from your province you are residing. (Since I live in Toronto - I applied the same in Service Ontario through mail). Name Change Certificate came after 8 weeks.

2) Once I got the certificate - took it to local Service Ontario office. They updated my name in Driving License, Health card.

3) Took the certificate to local Service Canada office. They updated my name in SIN Card.

3) Mailed the copy of the name change certificate to CIC (Immigration). Use the application of PR renewal

4) Received the PR card with updated name from CIC office.

5) Only thing which will not be updated is COPR because I changed my name after becoming a permanent resident. (FYI-COPR name change is only done if there was a mistake done by immigration officials.)

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
@snitin11 your thread and constant updates here has been the most complete and successful thread here on this subject.
Just one + a follow-on question.
Was the name split on your passport by BLSi even required ?
If yes, did the passport with name split become a parent document (or essential) for ServiceOntario ?

Last edited:

snitin11

Mar 16, 2016
Reply to Indian applicantHero Member:

Yes, name split in passport in BLS is required.

- But passport did not become parent document for ServiceOntario..
- Passport and Service Ontario stuff are independent.
- Go to service Ontario and ask for name change application. Fill it and submit it - once done you will get name change certificate in 6-8 weeks.
- Once done, you can update all your Canadian documents like PR, Driving license, Health card etc.

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
Reply to Indian applicantHero Member:

Yes, name split in passport in BLS is required.

- But passport did not become parent document for ServiceOntario..
- Passport and Service Ontario stuff are independent.
- Go to service Ontario and ask for name change application. Fill it and submit it - once done you will get name change certificate in 6-8 weeks.
- Once done, you can update all your Canadian documents like PR, Driving license, Health card etc.
thanks snitin11.

I understand name change at ServiceOntario can be done only after one has stayed over 12 months in Ontario. I am not sure if a short (2 weeks to US / India) travel in between will impact this pre-requisite ?
Also there are 3 forms for
  1. Adult name change
  2. Child name change
  3. Change a name to a single name
When you mention 'etc' i am assuming other than PR, DL and OHIP it includes.
(a) CRA
(b) ServiceCanada
(c) Citizenship when it comes up
(d) I have read elsewhere that CoPR will not be edited.

If Indian passport is NOT a parent document for ServiceOntario or other subsequent cards, why is name split at BLS required at all ?
Does it have anything to do with OCI card (if one requires one) post becoming a citizen ?

Last edited:

snitin11

Mar 16, 2016
Reply to Indian applicant

- Yes you are correct. Name change at ServiceOntario can be done only after one has stayed over 12 months in Ontario. ( I would rather have 1 year complete before applying just to make sure that my application does not get rejected)

- Yes etc means any legal canadian document like PR, DL, OHIP, CRA

- Yes you are correct. COPR will not be edited. ( Because that contains the name you had when you entered Canada for the very first time)

- Indian Passport split is required because ultimately you want all your documents i.e. Indian (Passport) and Canadian ( PR, OHIP etc) to have the same name going forward to avoid any confusion.

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
Reply to Indian applicant

- Yes you are correct. Name change at ServiceOntario can be done only after one has stayed over 12 months in Ontario. ( I would rather have 1 year complete before applying just to make sure that my application does not get rejected)

- Yes etc means any legal canadian document like PR, DL, OHIP, CRA

- Yes you are correct. COPR will not be edited. ( Because that contains the name you had when you entered Canada for the very first time)

- Indian Passport split is required because ultimately you want all your documents i.e. Indian (Passport) and Canadian ( PR, OHIP etc) to have the same name going forward to avoid any confusion.
On the last point, after the ServiceOntario name split and Citizenship process, the Indian passport is 'invalid' and hence name split is immaterial right ?

Last edited:

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
I too am in a similar situation, born in India first passport issued there surname (my first name) and given name (my middle initial and last name). Second and third renewal of passport done in Dubai UAE my father had done it as I was a minor. He never checked it either, I then moved to Canada and never checked it myself, all my study permits were issued in the right order as I believed my passport was in the right order first middle last, when I finally applied for immigration they advised me the name was not in the right order in the passport and bls wanted me to put newpapers ads out wherever i lived. I didnt have time to do all this as they were ready to stamp the PR visa in my passport but informed me it would be with surname (first name) and given names (middle and last name) anyway now PR card and landing doc has name issued that way.

I am now wanting to apply for citizenship and have all got married. I want to change my last name in my canadian passport and also in the right order. to first name and new married last name.

How do I go about doing so?

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
I too am in a similar situation, born in India first passport issued there surname (my first name) and given name (my middle initial and last name). Second and third renewal of passport done in Dubai UAE my father had done it as I was a minor. He never checked it either, I then moved to Canada and never checked it myself, all my study permits were issued in the right order as I believed my passport was in the right order first middle last, when I finally applied for immigration they advised me the name was not in the right order in the passport and bls wanted me to put newpapers ads out wherever i lived. I didnt have time to do all this as they were ready to stamp the PR visa in my passport but informed me it would be with surname (first name) and given names (middle and last name) anyway now PR card and landing doc has name issued that way.

I am now wanting to apply for citizenship and have all got married. I want to change my last name in my canadian passport and also in the right order. to first name and new married last name.

How do I go about doing so?
You will need to go through legal name change process in the province of your residence in Canada. Attach legal name change certificate with your citizenship application and fill the forms to notify that you have changed your name.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
You will need to go through legal name change process in the province of your residence in Canada. Attach legal name change certificate with your citizenship application and fill the forms to notify that you have changed your name.
Would it be better to legally change my name after I finish citizenship process?