MY LANDING EXPERIENCE AND OBSERVATIONS

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Everybody,

I Landed at Toronto, Person International Airport (YYZ), Ontario, Canada on 4th May 2010, by Britishairways flight # BA 0099 via London, at 18:20. (10 Minutes before schedule time, It was quit cold evening in Toronto)
The procedure was very smooth and very easy, following are the details 8)

I was Greeted and welcomed by an Immigration officer and he stamped the passport and directed to go to the New Immigrant welcome counter and then follow the Customs counter.

1. I went to Immigration counter where the officer stamped my passport.

2. I went to the new Immigrant counter given my PR and passport to the officer on counter. He filled my paper and asks me to sing on different place on the form. He ask me my accommodation / residential address which I told him that at this time I can't get may be it is inside in my luggage, but my consultant address was with me, he don't want the consultant office address. So He gives me the PR form and advised to fill later and send by fax on the number (which was on Form)

3. I then proceeded to the Welcome Canada counter there were two counter and I went on both counter one by one, where I was given some pamphlets and books, instructions and a carry bag (on second counter) with regards to settling in Canada and free to go everywhere without paying any thing for government paper process.

4. I was offered help by a porter service company man to collect my luggage. With CAD $10, I was having only one luggage and hand carry. They charge $ 10 for first luggage and $2 for each additional luggage. You can take by yourself trolley and luggage to out without paying any thing.

5. I then proceeded to customs and the officer checked my passports and asked me the list of the goods to be followed and the goods carried along list. He ask me about the fund how much I am carrying, and in which form, I told him it is cash, CAD $ 11700, then he ask me to take out from envelope and show to him. Then I kept back in my pocket. He checked the list of goods to follow there was jewellery's value about CAD $10k, so he ask me if I have the picture of the jewellery's, I was not having so he told me that get by e-mail and come tomorrow same building outside custom office and officer will stamp on the list and picture too for future use.

6. He did not check the list or goods carried along with me, the process was completed in 15 minutes and I was out from the immigration door at 18:35 hours. It was really very pleasant landing experience, People are very nice, kind and warmly welcoming the immigrants on the airport.

7. I just went out and ask the porter to call my transport (Airport pickup) person and keep my trolley on mentioned place. After 20 minuets the car came and picks me and I was reach to my room within 30 minutes.

8. Next day with Gold / jeweler's, picture and goods to follow list I went to the Airport custom office. Officer asks me to use the original forms (I was having the print out download from web site, which was not so clear). I fill the form with totaling the value in CAD Dollar, and brought back to him, he went inside and brought with computerized CBSA printed form and copy of all forms (Luggage with me, Hand carry and Goods to follow List by Cargo and arrive later after 2 week with my spouse and kids)

9. Later I went to Government Service office for my SIN (Social Insurance Number) and received a temp SIN number for myself, were informed that the SIN card would come in a couple of 2 weeks time on my address.

10. Next I went to the Bank CIBC bank, Costumer service officer explain me the different kind of account, I ask her which will be suitable for new Immigrant, She open the "CIBC Everyday Chequing account with standard benefits" (The account is Tax free savings account for once year). The debit card allows the CAD $ 500 per day cash withdraw and CAD $1000 purchases.

11. Next I went to Roger shop for Mobile Connection and got the SIM card for 10$ and 10$ air time credit, it prepaid only have to maintain the credit balance 20 $, no monthly fee, pay as you go rechargeable available in all stores, receiving and calling is same rate 39 cent and from 8pm to 8 am 1 cent including weekend (Saturday/Sunday). For International call use the calling card through your mobile or landline it is very cheap.

12. Checking for family apartment is going on in different areas.

13. Continued for the Job search (Please note you would need to modify your Resume to apply jobs in Canada refer www.settlement.org). This is the other side of the picture that our qualification and experience is not much valued, appreciated or accredited in Canada?? (Just my observation in few days)

14. You will start receiving interview calls once you have a Canadian Address and a Canadian contact number on your resume. (I received calls on my cell and the on land line / residence number).

15. Scheduled for an interview today (Saturday 9th May) with a company. But I was unable to attend because of too cold and chill, I requested them to reschedule for Monday. (It is a survival job not related to my profession, and still I don't know what they are going to offer me the job and salary)

16. Weather become very cold after rain, it is between 9-3 C, in Toronto, Good thing to have winter cloths with you before landing (wind chill is -4C and some areas of Ontario the Ice falling started again) .

17. Meet with many people those are straggling with housing and jobs problems, Dollar are flaying very fast from the packet and from hand every day. If you do not have any relative or friend in Canada It better to be go very economical. It will take some time to Adjust, Depend on your profession; it is taking about 6 - 12 month and more in some cases, to get settled properly. You may get survival job to manage but according to your qualification and profession it will take some time to get.

18. Apartments are in different rate from $ 800 – 1500, 1-2 bed room, it is better to see the location and neighborhood before you rent. Mostly People are living in the community, my advice do not rent through internet search because you do not know the area and neighborhood and on Google map every streets looks very beautiful (My personal opinion)
One more thing coming with family without any arrangement will have more expenses, better to come alone and arrange some house or apartment and then family can follow after few weeks, depend on your situation. (This is what I have done, because we do not have any friend or relative in Canada and Consultants are looking to get your all fund and saving at once for their great settlement help).

19. This was my Landing story, (still I am in the guest house, safehomestay, Good people and area is also OK),
please pray for me to get settled ASAP, I am getting tenses how to manages with very tough situation.
I pray for the success and best of luck for all forum members in their cases and future life in Canada.

20. HOPE IT WILL HELP TO THOS ARE PLANNING TO LAND IN FEW WEEKS. REMEMBER THAT IN TORONTO THE WEATHER IS VERY COLD ESPECIALLY FOR PEOPLE (LIKE US) ARE COMING FROM HOT WEATHER COUNTRIES (GULF OR ASIA)
WITH BEST WISHES
:)

HMISABPK

Wolfman567

Oct 28, 2009
New-Delhi (India)
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ hmisabpk .. Excellent and great to hear from you.

May god bless you and may god reunite your family with you ASAP.

Please do give ur your inputs from here onwards also.. :)

god0fwar

Star Member
Apr 25, 2010
it was a nice landing story.

my brother is also in canada (sask) and i'm planning to join him through SINP soon.

i'm sure you'll get settled and get a job in no time. all the best to you and your family's new life in canada!

jitz

Star Member
Oct 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
THANKS FOR YOUR INFO ON ABOVE WE ALL APPRECIATE FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVISES

I WISH YOU SUCCEED AND HAVE BRIGHT FUTURE

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wolfman567 said:
@ hmisabpk .. Excellent and great to hear from you.

May god bless you and may god reunite your family with you ASAP.

Please do give ur your inputs from here onwards also.. :)
Hi, Wolfman,

Thank you,

We wish the same and pray for you may God bless you and every body in the forum.

Regards

HMISABPK

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
god0fwar said:
it was a nice landing story.

my brother is also in canada (sask) and i'm planning to join him through SINP soon.

i'm sure you'll get settled and get a job in no time. all the best to you and your family's new life in canada!
Hi, god0fwar,

Thank you,

We wish the god luck to you, Yes your brother will sure take care,
May God bless you and every body in the forum.

best Regards

HMISABPK

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jitz said:
THANKS FOR YOUR INFO ON ABOVE WE ALL APPRECIATE FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVISES

I WISH YOU SUCCEED AND HAVE BRIGHT FUTURE

HI, JITZ,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR APPRECIATION AND GOOD WISHES.

MY BEST REGARDS

HMISABPK

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi HMISABPK,

Well written... good info there...
Congrats to have finally realized your Canadian Dream ! Don't worry, those jobs would come to u, soon. Being in North york u must be feeling that 'extra' chill. However, do not let go those interviews... for some months those vocations would be your lifeline [u r right about $$$ flying-off the palm].

By the way, did u take the BA0108-0099 combination*? If yes, u had a 2hr wait@Heathrow... was there a need to:
1. Change Terminals?
2. ReCheck your Checked-in baggage?
3. Was there any need to hurry-up, the gap being only 2hrs?
4. Did the hand baggage pass thru another set of security checks?

*Just checking, 'coz I'm taking the same flight day-after-tomorrow.

Good Luck & All the Very Best, buddy !!!

Qorax

ja77

Mar 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
very well written. thanks for sharing your experience with us.

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Hi hmisabpk,

Nice to read your detailed landing experience. All the best brother for a bright future in Canada. I was just wondering this is May and still Toronto climate is chill!! For me also the climate is the only issue. You idea is good to bring family later so that they will get a safe landing. No need to experience the initial struggle with you. All the best once again...

Please share your experience in future also.

Satish

gags372

Mar 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
nd
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
oct2009
File Transfer...
jan-2010 to nd
Med's Request
18-02-10
Med's Done....
19-02-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-10
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-10
LANDED..........
planning to go to vancouver (end of may)
@ hmisabpk... plz share ur experience , like what type of ques they ask on canada airport,plz share i m just waiting for ur reply coz i m goin on 20th to vancouver on B.Airways

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Hi HMISABPK,

Well written... good info there...
Congrats to have finally realized your Canadian Dream ! Don't worry, those jobs would come to u, soon. Being in North york u must be feeling that 'extra' chill. However, do not let go those interviews... for some months those vocations would be your lifeline [u r right about $$$ flying-off the palm].

By the way, did u take the BA0108-0099 combination*? If yes, u had a 2hr wait @ Heathrow... was there a need to:
1. Change Terminals?
2. ReCheck your Checked-in baggage?
3. Was there any need to hurry-up, the gap being only 2hrs?
4. Did the hand baggage pass thru another set of security checks?

*Just checking, 'coz I'm taking the same flight day-after-tomorrow.

Good Luck & All the Very Best, buddy !!!

Qorax

Hi, Qorax,

Thank you for your great help to all members including myself. It is my pleasure to share my experience with forum members. (Forgive my English it is little poor as my own assessment).

Yes I take the same flight from Riyadh to London and London to Toronto.
From Riyadh to Heathrow (London) arrival at 12:25, BA0262 and Heathrow (London) Departure at 15:25 to Toronto BA0099 and arrival time at Toronto 18:25. There was 3 hours waiting in my case but I guess in your flight is only 2 hours, but there is no problem you can manage nicely and even you will have enough time to take some refreshments or snacks at Heathrow airport. The other answer to your quires are as follow

1. Change Terminals? Yes but it is inside you have to follow the direction for international connection flights, you do not going to change the building it will be from inside corridor, withing five minutes I think you will be on departure terminal (I don't remember if they use and number)
2. ReCheck your Checked-in baggage? Yes your hand carry will be scanned again on departure gate by heavy security (even you are not coming from out side the building), you need to remove every thing from your pocket, pen, eye glasses, jewelery, and laptop from big (to be keep separately), and metal built, then if still they wish will do body checking (not to all only if still light and alarm ring) and then on the way again by manually before entering to flight gate. Please remember do not keep any liquid in hand carry, Perform, gel, paste, body lotion, cream etc... (Big size or volume more 50 ml is not allowed even on UAE they will remove from your hand carry, Even My performs, Body lotion and shampoo was removed on Riyadh airport by BA security personals)
3. Was there any need to hurry-up, the gap being only 2hrs? Yes better to go on departure area and watch the crowed if you have some time relax few minutes in coffee, restaurant, after passing the security checkup gate, I don't think you need to rush there is enough time you have. (and airline knows the timing the may will call by overhead page in case some one is unable to come on time)
4. Did the hand baggage pass thru another set of security checks? Yes as I mentioned above but booked luggage you will get on Toronto (YYZ) (it will go directly flight to flight).

I hope it will help you and other forum members.

I also wish you and your family a very happy and pleasant journey, and also I welcome you to Canada.
My best wishes and god luck to your future life ahead in Canada.
I hope you will write much better and detailed (then me) your landing experience and all forum members are waiting for that.

My best wishes and best regards once again

(please keep in touch in Toronto, I have answer yo PM with my contact details I hope we can see each other soon)

HMISABPK

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
satish_lkb said:
Hi hmisabpk,

Nice to read your detailed landing experience. All the best brother for a bright future in Canada. I was just wondering this is May and still Toronto climate is chill!! For me also the climate is the only issue. You idea is good to bring family later so that they will get a safe landing. No need to experience the initial struggle with you. All the best once again...

Please share your experience in future also.

Satish

Hi, Satish,

Thank you, Yes I will share my other experience too. Climate is really very chills.

Regards,

hmisabpk

RPN

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
June 2010
Hi hmisabpk,

Nice landing experience and thank you for sharing with us. We got lots of information in there. I had enquiry about London-Heathrow airport since I will be passing via Heathrow. Anyway I got the reply which you have posted against Qorax enquiry. As I heard you have to go through tough security screening.

Regards,

RPN