+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from USA to Canada - Please Help Me

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

santoki said:
Is there a list of things that are not allowed to be carried over the border? I'm surprised you can't bring a used mattress. Unless they think you'd use it to smuggle something in, I can't imagine why they would ban that.
1. A mattress can be imported if it is fumigated. Bugs you know like mattresses. Usually CBSA doesn't bother if you are just importing a mattress with your personal possessions.
2. Start here: http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/questione.shtml

life2010

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Originally buffalo but now Ottawa
NOC Code......
Civil engineer
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
Nomination.....
April 2012
AOR Received.
July 2012
Med's Request
July 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Passport Req..
Waiting
Very good thread and very good answers. :)

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
santoki said:
Is there a list of things that are not allowed to be carried over the border? I'm surprised you can't bring a used mattress. Unless they think you'd use it to smuggle something in, I can't imagine why they would ban that.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/sme-pme/i-guide-eng.html

Point 4 tells about some restricted goods. You can always call them if you are in doubt.

jeffp

Nov 11, 2012
I was told I cannot rent a truck in the US and drive it into Canada, so I'm curious where you rented the Uhaul and where you entered Canada. I would appreciate any info and tips you want to share. Thanks,
jp

stoetzels

Nov 12, 2012
Hi,

I can help you out. I moved from TX to ON. Being single, I drove with all my belongings stuffed in my one car.

Now, there is good news for people who are immigrating to Canada. You do not pay for customs if you are landing for the first time. I didn't pay customs on my Camry or any of my electronics or other belongings. You should already have form PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOCUMENT (available online) filled. You are going to tick mark SETTLER if moving for the 1st time.

Since I didn't pay customs, the next thing was to go through the process of importing a vehicle into Canada. This is a lengthy process:

1. You have to Pay an Importing Fee of $195 + GST (Ontario 2009, may have gone up) at the border or tell them you will pay later (I forgot the time limit).
2. RIV will then send you inspection information. They also asked me If my model had a recall. I had to call Toyota and have them send me letter stating it was clear.
3. My car is pretty new and didn't have any modifications. Once Passed, you take that form, RIV reciepts and Personal effect document to the Service Ontario to surrender your title for a new Ontario (might be different in Alberta) title. $70+GST.
4. Take your registration and Previous insurance information and history from States to a Canadian insurance. BTW, Insurance here is a highway robbery compared to states.
5. Go to Service Ontario and surrender your Driver's license ($30). This was one of the best things as I didn't had to go through the classes of license like a baby but you do have to go through a vision test. Get a new one in the mail.

Thanks
Stoetzels

MSP2YYZ

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2011
Doc's Request.
08-10-2011
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
11/01/12
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Med's Request
11-01-2012
Med's Done....
30-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2012
LANDED..........
16-12-2012
santoki said:
The mattress thing is because of the possiblity of passengers, in the form of bedbugs, etc.

prachinshah

Apr 29, 2016
Hi. I am in the same situation now. I am moving from the USA to Edmonton, Canada but with old personal stuff. No Furniture. I am driving a rental car one-way to Toronto first with all my stuff and then planning to ship stuff from Toronto to Edmonton. Does anyone know what forms to fill out for customs? What is the procedure? Which is the cheapest method for shipping boxes from Toronto to Edmonton? On the other hand, does anyone know how FedEx works if I have to ship stuff from the USA directly to Edmonton? Please help. Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi. I am in the same situation now. I am moving from the USA to Edmonton, Canada but with old personal stuff. No Furniture. I am driving a rental car one-way to Toronto first with all my stuff and then planning to ship stuff from Toronto to Edmonton. Does anyone know what forms to fill out for customs? What is the procedure? Which is the cheapest method for shipping boxes from Toronto to Edmonton? On the other hand, does anyone know how FedEx works if I have to ship stuff from the USA directly to Edmonton? Please help. Thanks.
1, BSF 186 , Goods in possession. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html