+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Alberta to BC

kennethdunn

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey Guys,
I have been in Alberta for nearly 3 years and I am going to move to Vancouver in the next 2 weeks. I am currently working my resignation notice at work.
Here is my problem.
I am going for an Ultra Sound tomorrow as the doctor thinks I have a Hernia. If I need surgery and have it in BC. Will I be covered?
I have read things that I will be covered by Alberta health for 3 months but may have to pay the difference if surgery is more expensive in BC than it is in Alberta.
Can anyone shed some light on this as I have no idea how to go about this and what the process is about signing up for health care in BC as I know it isn't free like Alberta.
Thanks in advance people.
Ken

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Contact AB health and tell them you are moving. You can ask about your possible hernia surgery in BC at the same time.

Once you get to BC, register for MSP right away. Check out http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/how-to-enrol and look for the PDF form on the right side.

With the speed of Canadian health care, you might not actually end up having the surgery until you are already covered in BC.