+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Move home to Canada (from USA) - and then work in both countries?

Soutz

Dec 28, 2016
Hello All,

Thanks in advance for any experience or insight you can offer.

I am a Canadian citizen who has lived in the USA as a US Permanent Resident for about 25 years. My wife (a US Citizen) and I are considering moving to Canada. I'm sure it will be fairly straightforward for me to repatriate and I'm guessing we have a great shot at getting my wife permanent resident status in Canada as my spouse.

But - it's our work that we wonder about. We are both self-employed, freelance creative professionals who have a good working network in the USA - and we would very much like to continue to work in the USA, as well as in Canada. We currently maintain a small, incorporated business in the USA that only employs the two of us. Ideally we would still run our business down here and also take on jobs in Canada too. But is this complicated situation even possible? We understand that double taxation is not likely - but that we might have a complicated tax situation where we are declaring income earned in each country on the other's tax forms, etc.

Our goal is certainly to integrate ourselves into Canada and make it our home, but we are late in our working life and starting over as freelance professionals in Canada will be an interesting challenge - so it seems that we would be smart to still derive some of our income from existing, longstanding relationships in the USA. That said, we want to earn income in Canada too because we want to pay into that tax system so that we can also enjoy health care and the normal privileges of being a part of the community there.

Thanks so much in advance for reading through our somewhat complicated situation, and for any advice you can offer.

Cheers!