+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Missing birth certificate

adamlee212

Aug 19, 2017
Hello all,

I am desperate for some advice so I'll bullet point my situation:

1. My wife is Canadian and I'm British.
2. We just sent off our spouse application.
3. However, I don't have a birth certificate (born in a third country). I can't get one but never had an issue before for not having one. I have a British passport which states my date of birth of course.
4. When completing the application I asked an immigration lawyer whether one would be necessary but was told no since I'm attaching a copy of my British passport then I should be fine.
5. However, Reading some of these posts and other articles, I feel I should've sent an affidavit or something of a kind then just not sending anything at all.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? Shall I call CIC and try to mail something out to them explaining why? Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!!

Many thanks all

SRafiq

Star Member
Dec 4, 2016
Manchester
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-02-2017
Doc's Request.
23-06-2017
Nomination.....
29-06-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
27-06-2017
Med's Done....
11-07-2017
Passport Req..
24-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2018
LANDED..........
17-04-2018
Did you send a cover letter explaining the situation, that obtaining birth certificates in your country would be difficult?

Personal experience is that you may get an email asking for it. I contacted the Immigration Minister - as we both live outside Canada - and explained that situation to them. We got a call from IRCC and our app. was declared complete and progressed from there. I feel we were lucky.

I think you should start working on obtaining the birth certificate or proof that you tried to obtain one. There are lots of threads on here from ppl. cfrom countries explaining some possible alternatives. When you receive the email you can forward what you have on to IRCC. Or you can explain, as I did and get a 'waiver'.

Either way , good luck on the application.