+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Military record for visitor visa

nufern

Mar 8, 2017
I really appreciate if someone can answer or share experience about this situation. My parents applied for visitor visa a month ago. As my father is a retired police officer, they sent a request to upload additional information about the military service. We uploaded it immediately but haven't heard from them since. Then we emailed and they said the application needs additional processing and we can withdraw if we want. Is it possible for the application to be rejected because he worked at police? In case if my father's one gets rejected, will that affect my mother's application? They applied together and mother as a spouse applicant.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
It is highly likely that IRCC is running background checks on your dad. This could take even a few months depending on the country he has applied from + the information that IRCC has sought from third party sources.

If your dad had worked at senior levels in the police force/military or if he handled sensitive information or worked with certain organizations, etc you can expect more stringent background checks.

A decision on your mom's application can take as long as it takes for your dad. Hopefully she has presented her ties to her home country well

Last edited:

nufern

Mar 8, 2017
It is highly likely that IRCC is running background checks on your dad. This could take even a few months depending on the country he has applied from + the information that IRCC has sought from third party sources.

If your dad had worked at senior levels in the police force/military or if he handled sensitive information or worked with certain organizations, etc you can expect more stringent background checks.

A decision on your mom's application can take as long as it takes for your dad. Hopefully she has presented her ties to her home country well
Thank you, Bryanna.

vpsw

Apr 23, 2017
Hi I applied for my parents for a canada visitor visa on 11 March and it has been almost 50 days but no response yet. I am assuming since my father is retired from Military so that could be the reason for delay. But my question is what background checks they may be doing in case of a person who retired from service 20 years back. moreover I am sure they do not have third party sources to do background checks on a person who retired from military because that may be classified information not available to anyone except the military. Please enlighten.

coolit

Mar 21, 2014
Hi I applied for my parents for a canada visitor visa on 11 March and it has been almost 50 days but no response yet. I am assuming since my father is retired from Military so that could be the reason for delay. But my question is what background checks they may be doing in case of a person who retired from service 20 years back. moreover I am sure they do not have third party sources to do background checks on a person who retired from military because that may be classified information not available to anyone except the military. Please enlighten.
Hi I have the same situation as my dad is retired from military almost 10 years ago. I applied last April 20, 2018 and ask for military details after 3 days and now still waiting but it was a re application as the first was refused but on the first application they didn’t ask for that military details so I’m hoping in Gods help it will approved this time. I’m hoping for your dad’s too. By the way may I know your country and if you don’t mind updating me or atleast this thread thanks in Advance

vpsw

Apr 23, 2017
Hi I have the same situation as my dad is retired from military almost 10 years ago. I applied last April 20, 2018 and ask for military details after 3 days and now still waiting but it was a re application as the first was refused but on the first application they didn’t ask for that military details so I’m hoping in Gods help it will approved this time. I’m hoping for your dad’s too. By the way may I know your country and if you don’t mind updating me or atleast this thread thanks in Advance
Hi well my parents visa is still pending. it has been almost 2 months now. In the application status on cic website I noticed that for my mom it says that no background check is required whereas in case of dad the status shows " we are processing your background check". Meanwhile I also wrote an email to them and I got a reply after a week saying that we still need more time to process your application, do not buy any tickets or plan your travel. I am assuming they have already planned to reject the application and hence they sent that email. I am from India. Please let me know if u got any response and whats ur country.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
whereas in case of dad the status shows " we are processing your background check". Meanwhile I also wrote an email to them and I got a reply after a week saying that we still need more time to process your application, do not buy any tickets or plan your travel. I am assuming they have already planned to reject the application and hence they sent that email.
Unfortunately, you are assuming the worst. This is a standard email. It is not a pre-refusal email.

Your dad has most probably worked in the defense services, police, judiciary or a government department. The visa office has advised your dad to not make any travel plans because these background checks can take from a few weeks to even more than one year

coolit

Mar 21, 2014
Hi well my parents visa is still pending. it has been almost 2 months now. In the application status on cic website I noticed that for my mom it says that no background check is required whereas in case of dad the status shows " we are processing your background check". Meanwhile I also wrote an email to them and I got a reply after a week saying that we still need more time to process your application, do not buy any tickets or plan your travel. I am assuming they have already planned to reject the application and hence they sent that email. I am from India. Please let me know if u got any response and whats ur country.
Hi there i just receive an email that my mom and dad need to send their passport, after two weeks of submitting dad’s military details,I hope you too,maybe anytime soon it will approved, I’m from Philippines btw. @Bryanna thanks a lot for helping me for all the advices that you’ve share

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi there i just receive an email that my mom and dad need to send their passport, after two weeks of submitting dad’s military details,I hope you too,maybe anytime soon it will approved, I’m from Philippines btw. @Bryanna thanks a lot for helping me for all the advices that you’ve share
I'm happy for you and your parents. Great news. And, it is very encouraging for applicants who are in the same situation as your dad :):)

Reactions: coolit

coolit

Mar 21, 2014
I'm happy for you and your parents. Great news. And, it is very encouraging for applicants who are in the same situation as your dad :):)
Thanks @Bryanna just wondering for their visa, how long they usually allow them to stay because They only applied for 3 weeks visit but actually they wanted to stay for 3 months here.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks @Bryanna just wondering for their visa, how long they usually allow them to stay because They only applied for 3 weeks visit but actually they wanted to stay for 3 months here.
It depends on the CBSA officer at the port of entry. Normally, and in most cases, they can expect a 6 months stay

vpsw

Apr 23, 2017
Unfortunately, you are assuming the worst. This is a standard email. It is not a pre-refusal email.

Your dad has most probably worked in the defense services, police, judiciary or a government department. The visa office has advised your dad to not make any travel plans because these background checks can take from a few weeks to even more than one year
Congratulations!, I am still waiting for it though. got an email from cic saying that "there have been no updates to your application" ofcourse I know that. Thanks @Bryanna though for the support, yes my father has served in the army. Waiting for them to seek clarification. :(

acetone

Star Member
Apr 24, 2016
Just wondering if the military service was from 40+ years ago and my dad cannot remember the exact date when he did the service and his superiors. Is a letter of explanation saying he cannot remember it anymore enough and will not be a reason to reject his visit visa?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Just wondering if the military service was from 40+ years ago and my dad cannot remember the exact date when he did the service and his superiors. Is a letter of explanation saying he cannot remember it anymore enough and will not be a reason to reject his visit visa?
Your dad can include this letter of explanation with as many details as he can recollect + any service documents that he has and/or he can get access to.

Basically, IRCC would like to see that the applicant has not participated in war crimes, not committed any human rights' violations, has not been involved in espionage, etc

Reactions: Kiva667

mbm18

Apr 8, 2019
Hi! just wanna ask, how did your application go? I actually have the same situation like yours right now, applied for my father's visa but he does not have any record or certificates since it was 40+ years ago, and had served only for less than 5 years. Thank you!