+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical for unaccompanied dependent child

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
This is a topic which has been discussed frequently and trying to look at every angle to find a way through this challenge.
Situation. My very young daughter lives across the US with her mother. I get to see her every 3 months or so and we are pending outcome from our custody trial for additional visitation to see me.
I have communicated to her mother in writing several times asking for her identification in order to complete her medical, which I had hoped to complete next weekend when visiting with my daughter. She won't respond to my requests other than stating that I can apply for identification for our daughter if I want to, but that's it.
I have already tried this and it's a vicious circle. I won't get a SS card in time and her mother already has her original.
I can't get a state ID because I don't have her social security card and not much for proof of residence in her state since I am out of state.
I have also contacted her lawyer and had no positive traction there.
My daughters medical is due and other than having to sign the declaration (which is shortsighted and I hope to avoid) that she will ever be able to immigrate to Canada, is there anything else I can use or try to establish identification for medical?
I can take her for the medical when I'm there next weekend, but they won't see her without ID.

Ideas, options?

bluegirl08

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
18-08-2017
AOR Received.
30-09-2017
File Transfer...
20-10-2017
Med's Request
04-10-2017
This is a topic which has been discussed frequently and trying to look at every angle to find a way through this challenge.
Situation. My very young daughter lives across the US with her mother. I get to see her every 3 months or so and we are pending outcome from our custody trial for additional visitation to see me.
I have communicated to her mother in writing several times asking for her identification in order to complete her medical, which I had hoped to complete next weekend when visiting with my daughter. She won't respond to my requests other than stating that I can apply for identification for our daughter if I want to, but that's it.
I have already tried this and it's a vicious circle. I won't get a SS card in time and her mother already has her original.
I can't get a state ID because I don't have her social security card and not much for proof of residence in her state since I am out of state.
I have also contacted her lawyer and had no positive traction there.
My daughters medical is due and other than having to sign the declaration (which is shortsighted and I hope to avoid) that she will ever be able to immigrate to Canada, is there anything else I can use or try to establish identification for medical?
I can take her for the medical when I'm there next weekend, but they won't see her without ID.

Ideas, options?

How about Passport? Or original birth certificate? Ask the clinic that she will about to have medical exam to. Not sure just trying to help

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
Thanks, I have a Birth certificate, but Dr's office won't accept it. They are saying State ID or passport. She doesn't have a passport and her mother won't give me her state ID or even admit that she has one.

Can you help me find where in the panel physician handbook it shows a birth certificate is suitable?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks, I have a Birth certificate, but Dr's office won't accept it. They are saying State ID or passport. She doesn't have a passport and her mother won't give me her state ID or even admit that she has one.

Can you help me find where in the panel physician handbook it shows a birth certificate is suitable?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/index.asp#chap3.1.6

Approved identification documents include the following:
  • National ID card (an original Birth Certificate is an acceptable national ID document for minors under the age of consent only.)

Inform the Panel Physician's office that they are required to accept the birth certificate and if they refuse, you will file a complaint with IRCC.

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
I know, but the doctor says the e-system doesnt let send the medical test without a passport number

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
I have emailed the CIC and the Panel Physician quoting the details from the Panel Physician handbook.. lets see what they come back with

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
I called CIC. I said what is the procedure to do the exam only with Birth Certificate for minor, it is impossible to have passport for us.

They were not familiar with thic fact... checked in the Handbook....they said to me ''it is possible to present a birth certificate to do the medical test, but it's not possible to identify the kid with a birth certificate for the test. So at the end you cant really bring a birth certificate'' Which is not really exact to what it's written... I guess the information in this 2013 Handbook is out of date!

We already perform the medical test. But we will be obligate to sign the paper saying that the kid will never be allowed to go to canada just becuse we can't get him a passport.

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
This is really annoying and confusing, and the CIC website as it stands should be current.
Still going to try and push this with the panel physician and the CIC on my end.
It clearly states:

The client must submit a passport or other identification document acceptable for the Canadian Immigration medical examination. All documents must be valid (not expired).

Approved identification documents include the following:

• Original passport or a copy of passport certified by a Canadian Visa Office
  • National ID Card (an original Birth Certificate is an acceptable national ID document for minors under the age of consent only.)
  • Driver’s licence (in Canada only)
  • Refugee travel document
  • Red Cross travel document
  • UN laissez-passer
  • Seaman’s Book
  • Organization of American States travel document
  • Refugee Protection Claimant Document

I called CIC. I said what is the procedure to do the exam only with Birth Certificate for minor, it is impossible to have passport for us.

They were not familiar with thic fact... checked in the Handbook....they said to me ''it is possible to present a birth certificate to do the medical test, but it's not possible to identify the kid with a birth certificate for the test. So at the end you cant really bring a birth certificate'' Which is not really exact to what it's written... I guess the information in this 2013 Handbook is out of date!

We already perform the medical test. But we will be obligate to sign the paper saying that the kid will never be allowed to go to canada just becuse we can't get him a passport.

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
I know... it is really really confusing... But what can I do if they say to me it is impossible... They say after as an argument ''but on the paper we send to you it was written that you needed a document with pictures, no?'' ... i was like yes, but it only gives 30 days to make all the arrangement imagine now 30 days to convince the mom to sign for a passport and get an actual passport and after made the exam :\ . They should tell in advance that kids would need a passport even if they dont travel!!! I always thought passport were for traveling...I mean, in Canada it's the same kids dont have ID card with picture and if i go to make a passport, we also get there first without any picture...just a birth certificate!

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
If ever you have a better answer than mine, i would be happy to hear. I also wrote to them before calling, still waiting for an answer. When you call, they are just representative and they don't take decisions maybe they sometimes take other arrangement based on the case...

But the representative told me ''its possible they wont even answer to you'' ...

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
As of now, the panel physician has agreed to conduct the medical with me bringing the Birth Certificate and the IMM1017. They are still not completely comfortable with this and can't tell me why even after providing them with the panel physicians handbook info. I also asked for information on any updates to the handbook, which might have changed the use of a Birth Certificate, but they haven't commented. I will just be happy to get this over and done finally. Here is to Friday..

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
As of now, the panel physician has agreed to conduct the medical with me bringing the Birth Certificate and the IMM1017. They are still not completely comfortable with this and can't tell me why even after providing them with the panel physicians handbook info. I also asked for information on any updates to the handbook, which might have changed the use of a Birth Certificate, but they haven't commented. I will just be happy to get this over and done finally. Here is to Friday..
Well, he will probably hit a wall like us. This is the EXAM SAME situation. Doctor agreed and make the exam, but was unable to send the information over the system because he couldnt add any passport number. If the doctor succeed please ask him how he did this!! I really need the information as for us we paid and couldnt even send the result !!! :(