15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Hello once again...

I have searched this forum and used other search engines and I could not find where anyone has posted the FEES for the Medical Exam...

I saw that I am responsible for the fees for the exam, the blood tests, the urine tests and the x-ray...

With that said, I'm going to vent a little bit to release some frustration....

It's not enough that the closest doctor is over 100 miles away... Or that I have to get a Police Certificate that says I have NO record, and get that notarized.. which isn't as easy as going to the local police station and asking for that report... Oh and I just read here, that I have to get fingerprints done as well... I'm hoping that my health insurance will pick up the tab on the Medical Exam... but my guess is that they will not... After all I pay for mandatory Health Insurance to never have a use for it... and for me to pay out of pocket anyway...

My whole point is... we seem to pay a lot for the immigration fees, the permanent resident fees, and the get it yourself documents, travel over 100 miles to get looked at by another doctor... Why isn't there a GRAND TOTAL listed some where... Just so we know how much to save up for... Shouldn't the fees cover the cost for the exam and misc paperwork?

I'll do my part... as soon as I know how much I'm spending on all of this I will come back and post my results... Just to save the next person the aggravation. I shall report back as soon as I know more.

Sorry for the ranting... Just hard to feel like things are coming together and then to find out that there are more hoops to jump through...

thefairy

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
voided
LANDED..........
april the 4th 2009
Well it all depends where are you at. Different countries have different places for everything. I was a green card holder and was about to fill my application for Canadian pr almost a year ago. I called some of the designated medical practitioners in the USA (Florida), and the fee was about $300 I think. I decided, however to do the exams on my country, and when I called the doctors there, their fee was about $80. I suppose police clearances also depend on what country are u at. I needed police, jail, and judicial records from my country + FBI fingerprints from the USA, and a police record from Florida. ( because u need this clearances from every country u have lived in for 6 months or more since you turned 18). So talking about a big total would be hard, everyone's case is different and they may require more or less documents.

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
The suggested price in Canada is only $150 CAD.

That is usually all inclusif, BUT:

It's mainly 3 Parts:
1) Medical exam. & Blood+Urine sample taken ( at the immigration designated Dr.) 50-80$
2) Blood & Urine analysis ( at a LAB) CHEAP 20-40$

3) Chest X-Ray's Radio $$ Depends !! (Most likely the Designated Dr. will send to one, that is conveniant for you, then the Radio lab will forward the Original film to the Designated Dr.)

When paying the Dr. you are usually paying for (1+2)
When going to do the X-Ray, you are most likely paying the LAB where you're going (that price can vary a lot depending on the location.

Once you are done with the 1st DR. visit, he will give you the FORM, with a number, that you will have to include in your application. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH PICTURES, & PROPER IDENTIFICATION (PASSPORT PREFERABLY)

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Thank You both for your quick responses :)

I will take the initiative and make a few phone calls tomorrow when places of business are open....

Once I get more info I'll post it here.

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Ok, I'm back with all of the info regarding the medical exam and the fees and for those of you who have searched and searched for the link of the DMP, here it is  http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medical.aspx

After an hour and 30 minutes of research, here's what I found.

Keep in mind that I am from the USA in the State of Massachusetts.... I will be joining my spouse in Canada... So with that said.. I have Health Insurance through my employer... Blue Cross/Blue Shield HMO Blue... I located the Doctor closest to me ( 1 hour/45 minutes... 97 miles away) and he also participates in the same HMO program... Although my insurance WILL NOT cover the exam....

After talking with the receptionist, who was very familiar with this process, She let me know that I would be responsible for paying the fees up front, the day the exam is to be done...... $400.00     And that $400.00 will take care of the exam, the testing and the mailing out of the results.

I intend to call my insurance company back and give them his PCP# and see if they will be willing to work with me on splitting the fees... After all we both use the same HMO plan... The exam itself is nothing more than a "Physical" plus blood work a urine test and an Xray... If Blue Cross Blue Shield is willing to absorb some of the cost, I will let them.... 

Good Luck to all of you in the same boat....

P.S... Can't forget to bring the paperwork, passport and 4 passport photos... it's a long ride back :p

alpaca

May 11, 2009
Hi HBeach78, did you get your HMO to pay for part of your exam? I have a similar HMO through BCBS, so I'm curious! Thanks!

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd say it's highly unlikely that your insurance will cover the cost of the medical. It doesn't matter that you both pay into the same plan. What does matter is that the exam is not medically necessary, but rather is a requirement of the immigration application. In which case, I'm pretty sure they will say, 'if you want it done, you pay for it'. Anyway post back with their response.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
You really don't have much to complain about...

My wife and stepson travelled 12 hours by train overnight to get to the nearest DMP. Then paid $350 for the medicals. At the time she was making $200 a month where she worked in her home country.

My recommendation is to plan ahead, find out what you need and how much it costs as soon as you can, and embrace your newly found hobby of "paperwork". Otherwise you will go insane.

Reactions: ih.un

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
HBeach, I understand your frustration but unfortunately this is what you need to get done to go through this process.

The reason you don't see any posts of can't find any information regarding costs for the medical is because it varies from country to country and city to city, etc. Some places they require you to pay, as mentioned $350 - $450 where as other countries charge next to nothing.

And as far as including the cost for paperwork in the fees... same as above. The costs to obtain documents, have them notarized, certified, translated, etc. varies from place to place as well. On top of that these documents are not obtained through Canadian offices but rather through foreign offices that have no affiliation with Canada.

Bottom line it is up to the sponsor and principal applicant to come up with the money required to obtain all necessary paperwork, police clearances, medicals, etc. If you were to bring this up to CIC they would definitely say something along the lines of what ariell posted here:

'If you want it done, you pay for it'.

Yes the process is long, time-consuming & bearing on the heartstrings but this is the road we all have to travel to bring our loved ones here!

Hang in there!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I was from California - the exam fees there were in excess of $550 USD, and there were four of us that were required to be examined. We ended up traveling to Canada to visit my hubby and having our exams done here at $178 CDN each.

J

jdwhite21

wawaprince said:
The suggested price in Canada is only $150 CAD.
Wow we just had my husband's medical done in Edmonton Alberta and we had to pay $335 and the DMP didn't give us a paper to include w/ our application. Also they told us to get more passport photos than were necessary so we spent an extra $40 there.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Usually you need 5 photos for the medical exam. The checklist doesn't mention this, they only mention the photos that you have to send in with your application, which doesn't include those needed for the medical exam.

The DMP should've given you something - you should get the IMM 1017 form for every person who underwent the medical exam. Call them and ask for it.

J

jdwhite21

mitamata said:
Usually you need 5 photos for the medical exam. The checklist doesn't mention this, they only mention the photos that you have to send in with your application, which doesn't include those needed for the medical exam.

The DMP should've given you something - you should get the IMM 1017 form for every person who underwent the medical exam. Call them and ask for it.
See thats weird cuz they told us 4 or 8 if your married... And they only took 4 so I have no idea why they said we would need 8. And than they didn't even give us IMM 1017 what a terrible office.

RickNicky

May 13, 2009
All true inside canada 160.00 aprox ,my wifes son in uk 320.00
just the way it is and if over 15 would be 575.00
in the uk ,cic regulates supposedly max that can be charged by their licensed doctors however looks like teh min and max have a wide allowance
but as mentioned just part of teh deal and no choice good luck never give up

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
I am from Indianapolis, Indiana and I traveled to Chicago to for my DMP. There is no DMP in Indiana. I called the following DMP's in the midwest USA:
Serafin Veramendi (Chicago), Boguslaw Chimiel (Chicago), James Lutz (Cincinnatti), Virginia Loewenstine (Cincinnatti) and Swafti Daftary (Louisville). The cheapest one that I found out of those choices was Serafin Veramendi in Chicago. My cost was $255.00 total (165 for exam + 90 xray). Of the other 4 that I called they cost 100-150 more.

Reactions: asadmohammad