+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married to Canadian citizen but i am still living in US- Tax responsibilties

Vizslafan16

Jan 20, 2017
I got married to a Canadian citizen in January of 2016 and still remain in the US. I have only US income and my wife has only Canadian income. Is our responsibility for taxes this year as simple as:

1) For my wife we will file her return in Canada and on the main T1 schedule under info about your spouse/common law partner we would just put all 0000's for my SIN(since i don't have one) and then put my US net income while filling in zero for child care benefit and UCCB repayment(since I am not filing Canadian Taxes) Does this section basically limit further deductions she is possibly entitled to so if I make over a certain dollar amount than she doesn't receive any additional benefit besides her benefit/credits associated with her income? I thought I read somewhere it was a pretty low threshold of like $11,000 or something. Is there anywhere else on the tax forms where my income would come into play?

2) for myself I would not even file a canadian tax return because I am a non resident and did not make and Canadian sourced income?

3) for myself i will also file a US return which i know about that process :D

Appreciate in advance and comments. Thanks!

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
AFAIK

1. Her status is married, but she can't claim line 303 - Spouse or common-law partner amount unless she supported you.
2. yes
3. of course