+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Certificate Issued by Local Mosque

sat8979

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Fellow Members,

I am posting this thread on behalf of my brother who is an Indian Citizen and is applying for Canadian Permanent residence. He has already received his ITA.

He is married and got 2 kids, however, he doesn't have a Government issued marriage certificate. Instead, he has a local mosque issued marriage certificate written in English that was accepted for Saudi Arabia visa and also for India passport applications. As you are aware, getting a local panchayat government-issued certificate currently takes few months especially when it is not registered. I have few questions:

1) Will Canada Immigration accept the local mosque certificate especially when their kids have birth certificates naming them parents?
2) Another option is to obtain Waqf board issued certifcate that can be obtained within a weeks timeframe. Will they accept Waqf issued certificate? Somehow Waqf board is constituted by the Government.
3) Can my brother choose common in-law option? Please note he chose "Married" option for his express entry profile. Can he change "Married" to common-in-law post ITA?
4) Any other suggestion that you would recommend.

Thanks so much in advance.

superspecial90

Aug 13, 2017
No, they will not accept the local mosque document.
They need to see the same document as thousands of other applicants from India submit.
Anything different than that will probably delay the whole process and in the worst case even trigger rejection.

sat8979

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

How about the #2, #3 and if #4? Any suggestions would be really helpful.

sunnyvin

Nov 29, 2014
Fellow Members,

I am posting this thread on behalf of my brother who is an Indian Citizen and is applying for Canadian Permanent residence. He has already received his ITA.

He is married and got 2 kids, however, he doesn't have a Government issued marriage certificate. Instead, he has a local mosque issued marriage certificate written in English that was accepted for Saudi Arabia visa and also for India passport applications. As you are aware, getting a local panchayat government-issued certificate currently takes few months especially when it is not registered. I have few questions:

1) Will Canada Immigration accept the local mosque certificate especially when their kids have birth certificates naming them parents?
2) Another option is to obtain Waqf board issued certifcate that can be obtained within a weeks timeframe. Will they accept Waqf issued certificate? Somehow Waqf board is constituted by the Government.
3) Can my brother choose common in-law option? Please note he chose "Married" option for his express entry profile. Can he change "Married" to common-in-law post ITA?

nope it won't be accepted. .

Ali@12345

Jan 8, 2020
Fellow Members,

Hi

i am in same situation .What did u finally submit? I have marriage certificate from waqf board and updated spouse name on passport . Can you advise .

thanks