+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost status as Student while waited for Post Graduation Work permit, is refused

kmi85

Jul 11, 2017
RAMAN2633

How did it go? I'm now in the same situation. The SP expired sooner than I expected, and I have also just graduated. So I freaked out and apply for restoration but did so under the restoration for worker because I was applying for my PGWP as well. At any rate I have requested for both applications to be withdrawn and now I hope they withdraw them to apply maybe on paper. I keep seeing threads on people pplying for restoration and pgwp, or restoration to visitor and pgwp, or restoration to student, pgwp, and student extension so now I'm freaking out.

1. How is it possible to restore status to student if you have already graduated?
2. In the form IMM5709E it specifically asks for duration of EXPECTED studies, cost of tuition and such, so how can I fill that out? I
3. What should I apply for, then?
4. Also, as I found out recently about being out of status, I have quit my job, so should I fill out the current work option instead as "Not Applicable - out of status" as I am no longer working and put that info in the previous employer field? My date of employment would also show as this month ( from MAy-2016 to July- 2017) so it might seem as if I'm still employed and working :(
5. And last - I'm considering applying to a college in town just to get a status as a student (I'm also interested in the program) but ideally I want is the PGWP

God I hate this - the self-hatred is killing me

Please help! I'm waiting on an immigration consultant's consultation but that might take days and make an indent on my short-funds.

Aug 8, 2017
Hello guys,

I'm studying Masters of Applied Science (MASc) in engineering. My program is a two year program therefore if I finish my program in two years, I will be eligible for a 3 years post graduate work permit. My study permits expires at August 30th, 2017. I have applied for a study permit extension more than a month before the expiration of my study permit (July 26th, 2017). The processing time for a study permit extension is about 68 days. If I graduate before I receive the study permit extension, can I apply for a post graduate work permit after the expiration of my study permit? To simplify the question, I will break it down as shown below.

My study permit expiry date : August 30th, 2017

Applied for study permit extension in July 26th, 2017

I will receive my study permit extension around October 10th, 2017.

If I graduate in September 15th, 2017, (before receiving the permit extension and after the permit expiration date), can I apply for a post graduate work permit?

Given that I can only apply for a post graduate work permit if my study permit is valid.

Please help me.

Ash1997

Jan 7, 2019
Hello Lisa,

Yes, you can indeed. Either a transcript or letter of graduation is recommended. You may choose to use only the transcript. However, its better you combine both in one PDF file. Scan them in color if possible.

Good luck!
I applied for my PGWP with only my completion letter. It doesn't say my final grade or anything, just states that I have met the requirements for the completion of my program and the dates I was enrolled in that program for. I had a friend suggest that I include the transcript now using the IRCC web forum. Should I bother? If I do, will that affect my processing time?

Aug 28, 2019
I have completed diploma program of 2 years. I applied for the Post Graduation work permit before 2 months of the expiration of my study permit. I had attached my passport copy and transcripts.

After a month, I got mail from CIC asking me to attach letter of gradutation, but I couldn't attach on time and my application was processed without the letter,

Now I am end up getting my application refused and I have lost my status in canada.

I called CIC help center,
and they guide me to do
- an application for restoration of my status as student in Canada and
- an application for Post Gradaution work permit

So, I did it last week, I have attached the Copy of my passport, Transcripts, a Diploma Certificate and Fee Receipts.
Now Waiting for them to Reply.

Is there anybody who have witnessed such situation like mine? and what are my chances to get Post Graduation Work Permit.?

Please reply anything reguarding my case,, That will be very helpfull to me..

Thank You So Much....
Hey did you got your post graduation work permit after resto
I have Sam situation can you suggest me what I need to do?
I have same prob

vinita13

Nov 23, 2019
Thanks to all of you for your moral support and listening to my case,,, I finally got my post graduation work permit. It took 4 months and 20 days... My status has been restored and I have 3 years work permit starting from the day they issued me.
Hi Raj_india,

I have few question about the application. my scenario is same like yours. Did you received a confirmation about the application from the IRCC team?