+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LONG HAUL TRAILER DRIVER JOB IN MANITOBA

Dec 3, 2008
HI GUYS...CAN ANYONE GIVE ME INSIGHT ON HOW IT IS TO BE A TRAILER DRIVER IN CANADA? I ALREADY HAVE AN EMPLOYER,A TRANSPORTATION CO. IN SASKATCHEWAN. I'M WAITING FOR MY TWP, I HAD MY MEDICAL LAST NOV. 06. AND I'M JUST CURIOUS TO KNOW EARLIER ABOUT WORKING THERE. I WAS A TRAILER DRIVER IN SAUDI FOR 6 YEARS AND ALSO HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES AT THE MOMENT. PLEASE GUYS HELP ME. CAN ANY BODY GIVE TIPS ON GETTING A LICENSE, ON THE PNP. TNX

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BATANG PANDACAN said:
HI GUYS...CAN ANYONE GIVE ME INSIGHT ON HOW IT IS TO BE A TRAILER DRIVER IN CANADA? I ALREADY HAVE AN EMPLOYER,A TRANSPORTATION CO. IN SASKATCHEWAN. I'M WAITING FOR MY TWP, I HAD MY MEDICAL LAST NOV. 06. AND I'M JUST CURIOUS TO KNOW EARLIER ABOUT WORKING THERE. I WAS A TRAILER DRIVER IN SAUDI FOR 6 YEARS AND ALSO HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES AT THE MOMENT. PLEASE GUYS HELP ME. CAN ANY BODY GIVE TIPS ON GETTING A LICENSE, ON THE PNP. TNX
1. Turn off your Caps.
2. Everything that you want to know about trucking in Canada on TWP http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118
3. Who will be paying for the training as your Saudi or Filipino license will not be recognized in Canada. You will need to obtain as Saskatchewan licence. It appears that you have to have a class 7 license for 9 months before you can get a class 5. Then you have to have a class 5 before you can apply for a class 1. See: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/sgi_pub/drivers_licences/classifications/class_7.htm

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For somebody who never had a license before, it would be class 7, learner for 9 months, then a probationary class 5 for 6 months and a stage 2 probationary for another 12, see http://www.sgi.sk.ca/sgi_pub/drivers_licences/gdl/gdl.pdf so somebody who is starting out would not be able to get a commercial license for 2 years and 3 months BUT going by http://www.sgi.sk.ca/sgi_pub/drivers_licences/new_residents.htm it looks like if he can prove that he already has a license in some country, he can skip over the learners stage and go directly to the probationary class 5 license. Still stands though that he would have a GDL license for 18 months and not be able to get a commercial license until then. That is unless OP has a license from the US, UK, Austria, Switzerland, South-Korea or Germany and can prove that this license is more than 2 years old, he would be able to get a full class 5 license and therefore go on to train for a class 1 license.

I know if he was in AB, if he could prove that he has license from any country for more than 2 years, they will right away let him take the advanced road test and get a full class 5 and after that he can go on to work on his class 1.

Dec 3, 2008
tnx..BCGUY,PMM,Leon...for the reply. I went to the truckers forum and I't made me think, is it really this hard to earn enought to support a family of 4 in canada? or is truck driving not a job fit to support my family in canada. Can somebody give me firsthand advice on what the monthly wage he gets driving a trailer in canada. My wife and i are really expecting to someday live in canada and with all the negative comments in the truckers forum it gave me second thoughts. I hope someone can give me a look on his salary in a month,someone from kindersley or yanke or bison. tnx again guys.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know what they make in SK or MB but I live in AB and there is a company close to my work that has been advertising for drivers for $21.83 an hour to start. Assuming you average 40 hours a week, you could support a family of 4 on that here but it wouldn't be a life of luxury, you could not allow yourself much extra. Immigration Canada says you need C$38,158 a year to support a family of 4 and I am sure some people do it on even less but a coworker of mine, moved here in the fall and he has a family of 4 and he was making maybe $20-21 an hour and he found it hard to support a family on that. Because their kids are too small to be left alone, his wife ended up taking an evening job so now they never see each other :(

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
I don't know what they make in SK or MB but I live in AB and there is a company close to my work that has been advertising for drivers for $21.83 an hour to start. Assuming you average 40 hours a week, you could support a family of 4 on that here but it wouldn't be a life of luxury, you could not allow yourself much extra. Immigration Canada says you need C$38,158 a year to support a family of 4 and I am sure some people do it on even less but a coworker of mine, moved here in the fall and he has a family of 4 and he was making maybe $20-21 an hour and he found it hard to support a family on that. Because their kids are too small to be left alone, his wife ended up taking an evening job so now they never see each other :(

Just an addition, the OP wife would not be entitled to a work permit as the OP's work is NOC level C.

PMM