+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's talk, how CEC can get more points than FSW ??

jman25

Jul 27, 2017
I think OP gets some valid points. The applicants who are living outside Canada should not be in the same "Pool" with students that study in Canada.

1st: There are no ways UofT credentials should be equal with other degrees around the world.*
2nd: Companies outside Canada should not be compare with company in Canada.*

So why CIC want to put CEC in one EE Pool?
I think there are some political and economic reasons for Gov to do so. But I think the main reason is because FSW applicants bring too much cash to Canada (a lot of money).

The backfire?
1st: This policy will reduce the competitiveness of Canadian education. UofT without International students could not have enough money to maintain their ranking. This year UofT ranking is the same with NUS of Singapore.
2nd: Furthermore, international student who studied in Canada and maybe worked at a Canadian company could go back home. This is brain-drain for Canada. Also the current policy brings bad reputation for Canada Immigrant system.

Bottom line:
I do not think this policy will change anytime soon. But 5 years studying + working in Canada is too much for a person that could invest in a Citizenship of Canada. That is too expensive. Since a rich family could let their children stay in their country and do something useful and contribute to their homeland.

Good luck everyone.
There are some valid points however, I must contend that Canada's educational competitiveness will not suffer as result of these policies. Why?

1: FSWs are 95% of the time engineering and IT professionals with years of experience. There might be some impact on Canadian credentials in those fields but there are a plethora of other fields that require Canadian education in order to be considered for any type of job here e.g. medicine, law, public service and government-related jobs etc. NO ONE in these fields can work in Canada without Canadian credentials. So, I agree with building IT and engineering sectors at a relatively small cost to competitiveness.

2: Statistics have shown a significant increase in study permit applicants from around the world ever since the Trump administration took office. *go figure* This has actually increased the competitiveness of Canadian Education.

The bottom line:
Immigration is not a free for all system. The government has a very clear picture of the demographic background of the workforce they need to grow Canada's economy. It is not designed for every single person that applies here for school or as a FSW to ultimately get in. Many will and many won't but you can trust that many many more will continue to apply and as the preamble of the Express Entry Programme explains "Only the most competitive applicants will be invited to apply".

As for citizenship, many people have qualified for citizenship before the 5-year timeline. You can invest and become successful if you start investing the very first day you land in Canada so that by the time you are granted citizenship you would be well on your way to long and happy Canadian life. You don't need to wait until you become a citizen to start.

Reactions: stevevutien

stevevutien

Star Member
Jun 23, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
There are some valid points however, I must contend that Canada's educational competitiveness will not suffer as result of these policies. Why?

1: FSWs are 95% of the time engineering and IT professionals with years of experience. There might be some impact on Canadian credentials in those fields but there are a plethora of other fields that require Canadian education in order to be considered for any type of job here e.g. medicine, law, public service and government-related jobs etc. NO ONE in these fields can work in Canada without Canadian credentials. So, I agree with building IT and engineering sectors at a relatively small cost to competitiveness.

2: Statistics have shown a significant increase in study permit applicants from around the world ever since the Trump administration took office. *go figure* This has actually increased the competitiveness of Canadian Education.

The bottom line:

Immigration is not a free for all system. The government has a very clear picture of the demographic background of the workforce they need to grow Canada's economy. It is not designed for every single person that applies here for school or as a FSW to ultimately get in. Many will and many won't but you can trust that many many more will continue to apply and as the preamble of the Express Entry Programme explains "Only the most competitive applicants will be invited to apply".

As for citizenship, many people have qualified for citizenship before the 5-year timeline. You can invest and become successful if you start investing the very first day you land in Canada so that by the time you are granted citizenship you would be well on your way to long and happy Canadian life. You don't need to wait until you become a citizen to start.
1.As an IT professional, I concur with your idea about this field. In IT recruitment, experience and project are more important than a credential.

2. Since Canada wants to improve its competitiveness it has been decreasing the quality of International Students that be granted study permits. They have a rule that everybody with money can be guaranteed a spot in Canada's Schools. So increasing about the number of student permits is just a hype.

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
I agree with this. My husband has been working for 10 years at this job in Canada. It was an LMIA job but the last work permit they did not do LMIA so we lose points for that. He has no bachelor's degree. We ended up with 247 points. English is our first language. We own a house here. We have been living here for ten years, but it doesn't really matter, cause the points are low. We were hoping via CEC that the work experience and the fact that we are already here might count for more, but it doesn't.

We are probably going to have to move back to Quebec and do immigration through them. :(