+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's talk, how CEC can get more points than FSW ??

Frollo888

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
hey guys I was just thinking that this is a bit weird.... anybody ever think about it ?

usually people that apply through the CEC is because they have
- no education
- no high english
- no other work exp
since the requirements are to have only 1 year work exp in canada

so let me say this is for people who are not skilled, who are already working in canada and willing to stay.
But even if you have worked 5 years in canada your CRS will be very low....

Back in time (before EE) you could go through the CEC after working in canada and you could get the PR straight away, while now they put you in the pool with all the other categories.... am I right ??

people who apply through the FSW can do it from outside canada and do not need work exp in canada but needs
- education ECA
- higher english
- other work exp

so let me say, if they are skilled worker and want to immigrate to canada, they calculate the points and their CRS will be pretty high because of many factors....

so from this point of view most of the people under the CEC will never have more points of the FSW !!
unless they of course have also - high english and -education at same level of a FSW candidate
but it make no sense since who use the CEC is because he can't meet the requirements of the FSW !!

so how a person under the CEC can ever be selected ??
the only think they can do is to go back to school AND be better in english because just one of this two requirements is not enough to get enough points :(

Let me know your thoughs :)

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
I really think you are mistaken. Your impression about CEC is totally wrong. Having a minimum is one year work experience in canada doesn't make it for unskilled pple. On the contrary, it helps international students who have studied and can integrate better in Canada.
Some CEC candidates have work experience from their countries and they get points for that as well together.

Based on that some pple qualify under both CEC and FSW and can choose which stream they want to apply under.

You can test it out using the crs tool, using the same English test scores and education level. For FSW answer: "none to less than a year" for the Canadian work experience. Assume that the CEC has no prior work experience outside Canada. So for the question asking the total number of work experience in the last 10years:"1year"

Then you can compare

Frollo888

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
hi excitedme !

I'm just trying to figure out how a person can use CEC with only the minimum requirements and have success, because in my opinion he can't.

I completely agree with you saying that some people qualify under both CEC and FSW, and these people are the one that will probably get an high score in CRS.
but people who fall only under the CEC not.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Can you describe an hypothetical profile of a person who qualify for CEC but not for FSW and will get enough CRS points ? :)

jman25

Jul 27, 2017
hi excitedme !

I'm just trying to figure out how a person can use CEC with only the minimum requirements and have success, because in my opinion he can't.

I completely agree with you saying that some people qualify under both CEC and FSW, and these people are the one that will probably get an high score in CRS.
but people who fall only under the CEC not.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Can you describe an hypothetical profile of a person who qualify for CEC but not for FSW and will get enough CRS points ? :)
I qualified for CEC ONLY. No prior work experience from my home country and my score was almost 500. 494 to be exact.

Reactions: Frollo888

tushya

Oct 27, 2016
Your perception towards CEC is totally wrong. Yes, it's true that CEC does not require high education, for example, post-secondary education, or higher IETLS score. But without the high education and high IELTS score, people won't get enough points to be selected under CEC. Education especially in Canada, more working experience, younger age, that all makes an applicant competitive.

Reactions: jman25

alfred0

Feb 10, 2015
Toronto
A student with a bachelor degree or 3 years college diploma plus IELTS 6.5+ each band can easily hit 430+ with one year Canadian experience

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
I am CEC. I qualified because I have bachelor's degree from home (with Canadian assessment), I have a Canadian college diploma, and Canadian work experience of more almost 2 years (skilled), and good IELTS. That's the reasons why I got selected. And age, of course.

Alex0924

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
I want to say 99% CEC applicants have higher edc background and perfect English and fit in this country. On the contrary, FSW outland applicants most possibly can not survive here even they are selected.

JimLarkin

Star Member
Apr 19, 2017
I didn't even say I had a job offer even though I did, as I couldnt be bothered with the paperwork, and still easily qualified for CEC. In fact I don't really know how people are in a position where they want to remain in Canada if they are struggling to qualify, since all you really need is a degree, English and a bit of work experience. If I didnt have these things I wouldnt want to live in Canada in the first place...

Obviously there are circumstances where immigrating is desirable or even necessary, but I am talking about people on work permits here (IEC)

Frollo888

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
I don't really know how people are in a position where they want to remain in Canada if they are struggling to qualify, since all you really need is a degree, English and a bit of work experience. (IEC)
Hi JimLarkin ! sorry but I don't agree.
I have a 3 years diploma + 8 years of work exp outside canada + 2 in canada + my english is good (IELTS 7 - CLB 8) but still can't get enough points because of age and because I can't get assessed my Diploma which worth ZERO now. Even if I continue to get WP and gain more canada work exp I will never reach enough points.
If I go back to school and get another degree I will loose a lot of points for the age.
please I'm not saying I'm hopeless and I know there are other ways, also I DO NOT want to complain about my situation :)

BUT to stay in the topic:
To qualify is easy because min requirements are low, but then is hard to get an high CRS, and even in alfred0 example...
"A student with a bachelor degree or 3 years college diploma plus IELTS 6.5+ each band can easily hit 430+ with one year Canadian experience"
430 points now is good because the CRS went down, but last year you needed at least 450+.
The student from the example still have many people with 500+ point over him so even if he qualify and he is in a good position, it's gonna be hard to get the invitation.

and who are the people with 500+ points?

Of course I might be wrong, but from my estimation there is an high percentage of FSW with more than 450+ compared to CEC.
and there is an high percentage of CEC with less than 450 compared to FSW.

to be crystal clear:
1.000 people in the pool
group A) 400 ppl have more than 450crs
group B) 600 ppl have less than 450crs

in group A - 70% are FSW and 30% are CEC
in group B - 70% are CEC and 30% are FSW

so only few of the CEC applicants can get more/or same points than FSW
off course CEC people still qualify and still have good change to get the invitation !!
but the majority of of CEC are surmounted by the FSW (and PNP :) )

stevevutien

Star Member
Jun 23, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
I think OP gets some valid points. The applicants who are living outside Canada should not be in the same "Pool" with students that study in Canada.

1st: There are no ways UofT credentials should be equal with other degrees around the world.*
2nd: Companies outside Canada should not be compare with company in Canada.*

So why CIC want to put CEC in one EE Pool?
I think there are some political and economic reasons for Gov to do so. But I think the main reason is because FSW applicants bring too much cash to Canada (a lot of money).

The backfire?
1st: This policy will reduce the competitiveness of Canadian education. UofT without International students could not have enough money to maintain their ranking. This year UofT ranking is the same with NUS of Singapore.
2nd: Furthermore, international student who studied in Canada and maybe worked at a Canadian company could go back home. This is brain-drain for Canada. Also the current policy brings bad reputation for Canada Immigrant system.

Bottom line:
I do not think this policy will change anytime soon. But 5 years studying + working in Canada is too much for a person that could invest in a Citizenship of Canada. That is too expensive. Since a rich family could let their children stay in their country and do something useful and contribute to their homeland.

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

Frollo888

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
I think OP gets some valid points. The applicants who are living outside Canada should not be in the same "Pool" with students that study in Canada.

1st: There are no way UofT credentials should be equal with other degrees around the world.*

2nd: Companies outside Canada should not be compare with company in Canada.*

So there are no reasons for CIC to put CEC to 1 EE Pool.

After all, I think there are some political and economic perspective here because FSW bring cash to Canada (a lot of money).

Besides, this policy will reduce the competitiveness of Canadian education. UofT without International students could not have enough money to maintain their ranking. This year UofT ranking is the same with NUS of Singapore.

Furthermore, international student who studied in Canada and maybe worked at a Canadian company could go back home. This is brain-drain for Canada. Also the current policy brings bad reputation for Canada Immigrant system.

In the end, I do not think this policy will change anytime soon. But 5 years studying + working in Canada is too much for a person that could invest in a Citizenship of Canada. That is too expensive. Since a rich family could let their children stay in their country and do something useful and contribute to their homeland.

Good luck everyone.

Exactly ! Totally agree :)

metalrahul

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Last edited:

Frollo888

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
I agree with OP and here are very relevant articles on this one

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2016/08/18/immigration-minister-should-restore-the-canadian-experience-class/#22dcc1677500

and another one

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2015/10/23/trudeau-should-welcome-canadian-experience-class-immigrants/#22af7d72f03b

Personally, I think getting an LMIA is already pretty tough and it's only worth 50 points, which doesn't make any sense.
Thanks for sharing this ! very interesting articles, it's exactly what I was trying to explain and talk about ! :D