+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and going back the US

nin_ja

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Hello,

Would greatly appreciate it someone can help me out with this.

I received my COPR recently. I am currently working outside Canada and do not intend to move permanently to Canada in the next 1-3 years because of my job. Is it ok to land and then go back within a week or so? I plan to give my friend/relative's mailing address for the PR card. Would there be any issues with the landing process because I have no clear short term plan or date on which I would move to Canada permanently?

Again, any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
People do this all the time, short landings. Just be sure to read up on any customs requirements re goods to follow when you eventually make the move permanent. Also as sure you know you need to spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada to meet residency obligation so 3 years is the maximum you can stay out of the country before you would need to spend the follow on 2 without leaving at all.

supreets2

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
Hello,

I received my COPR recently. I am currently working outside Canada and do not intend to move permanently to Canada in the next 1-3 years because of my job. Is it ok to land and then go back within a week or so? I plan to give my friend/relative's mailing address for the PR card. Would there be any issues with the landing process because I have no clear short term plan or date on which I would move to Canada permanently?

Hello, can you update on what you ended up doing? did you get the PR card through mail?

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
I have some questions for the H1b folks doing a soft landing in Canada.
- If you are not moving right away and doing a soft landing, how long should you plan to stay in Canada? I.e. is 1 week sufficient to apply for PR card (i guess its done at the airport itself) and SIN?
- Can we do soft landing anywhere? i.e. i plan to move to BC, but can i do soft landing in Halifax?
- are you planning on moving all the house items (furniture, electronics etc.) when you move? It says we don't have to pay a duty on furniture and appliances but what about electronics? I wouldn't want to sell and buy the same stuff over again. Plus for those who are not sure when they will move (i.e. few months or 1-2 years) its difficult to say what all goods will accompany you because you may buy more stuff between soft landing and the time you actually move, so how have you handled moving your belongings?

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Has anyone done multiple soft landings?
I am about to get my COPR and will do a soft landing soon after. After that, can i travel to Canada on PR card multiple times but not move until a year or two? I started a project in Canada and want to travel there few times a month for a year or so until spouse can find a job. So we won't be moving for a while but was wondering if we can travel on PR card until then.

_neil

Apr 30, 2016
I have some questions for the H1b folks doing a soft landing in Canada.
- If you are not moving right away and doing a soft landing, how long should you plan to stay in Canada? I.e. is 1 week sufficient to apply for PR card (i guess its done at the airport itself) and SIN?
- Can we do soft landing anywhere? i.e. i plan to move to BC, but can i do soft landing in Halifax?
- are you planning on moving all the house items (furniture, electronics etc.) when you move? It says we don't have to pay a duty on furniture and appliances but what about electronics? I wouldn't want to sell and buy the same stuff over again. Plus for those who are not sure when they will move (i.e. few months or 1-2 years) its difficult to say what all goods will accompany you because you may buy more stuff between soft landing and the time you actually move, so how have you handled moving your belongings?
1. SIN take 10 - 15 mins and wait time depends on the rush at the office. PR can be applied at your landing port.
2. Yes
3. This is crucial - when you move, fill in EVERYTHING you have, even things that you don't plan to bring, in the B4 form. There is a check box, items to follow - check that. When I moved, they did not even open the Uhaul. If you buy new things, they have to be used for at least 6 months otherwise you will have to pay duty on them. Just keep the receipts, and ONLY IF THEY ASK - are you bringing anything that is not on your list, tell them about the new stuff.

What you move or don't move is a cost analysis decision - when I landed, I was planning to move all my appliances, couches and everything in my apt. When I moved, the new condo has all the appliances, so I did not have to spend to move all my stuff. Instead, I sold it. So, there is no right or wrong answer. Everyone's situation is different.
And, remember, at least 10% of your shit breaks when you move lol

Reactions: Kuchbhi

_neil

Apr 30, 2016
Has anyone done multiple soft landings?
I am about to get my COPR and will do a soft landing soon after. After that, can i travel to Canada on PR card multiple times but not move until a year or two? I started a project in Canada and want to travel there few times a month for a year or so until spouse can find a job. So we won't be moving for a while but was wondering if we can travel on PR card until then.
Yes
I lived in Detroit, and I used to go to Windsor at least once a month, for a whole year.
At the Canadian side, you don't even need to show your passport. Just show your PR card and it is enough.

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Yes
I lived in Detroit, and I used to go to Windsor at least once a month, for a whole year.
At the Canadian side, you don't even need to show your passport. Just show your PR card and it is enough.
Thanks for the reply. So when you eventually moved to Windsor with all your house items is that when you showed the B4 form? I'm just wondering if there will be any problems when i move lets say after a year or so with my belongings and they say - wait, you've already been here multiple times.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello,

remember to get your NAS (social number) and duties and rights as Canadian resident

_neil

Apr 30, 2016
Thanks for the reply. So when you eventually moved to Windsor with all your house items is that when you showed the B4 form? I'm just wondering if there will be any problems when i move lets say after a year or so with my belongings and they say - wait, you've already been here multiple times.
When you LAND(first time), you have to get the B4 form signed for the goods to follow. List everything you own, and even add things you think you might buy in the next 1 year(or whenever you plan to move). The reason is to cover your ass, because customs does not give two shits about the things that you are not bringing in...BUT they are very particular about things that you bring in that were not on the original list.

When I landed, I basically added a lot of things that were on my wish list...let's say 4k tv, Play station, apple watch, wireless 7.1...which I did not own at that time, but I was planning to buy in the coming year. When I moved, customs did not give me any trouble.

As far as going there after landing, there is no issue. I think I landed in Apr 2016 and did not move till recently. In between I made several trips to Windsor.

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Can someone please share the B4 form you have prepared? Just wanted to get an idea of how detailed it should be.
Also do i need to bring photographs of jewelry also? How did you deal with the Indian jewelry? i have no idea how to estimate its worth.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello,

you will lose your PR because you will be more than 2 years outside Canada, duties and rights as Canadian resident

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Hi All,
Is there a minimum amount of time one has to spend in Canada for soft landing?
I plan to continue working in the US for some time so what is the shortest amount of time i should plan to go with COPR?
Thanks!

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi All,
I plan to continue working in the US for some time so what is the shortest amount of time i should plan to go with COPR?
Thanks!
(one day, one week) just to get the Social Insurance Number (numéro d'assurance sociale -NAS), any provincial medical plan registration.
just by land (just using private vehicle, non commercial) you can cross the border with the valid CoRP and your passport you can go back and go out Canada till your Residence Card arrive.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi All,
Thanks!
No minimum time. You can leave Canada as soon as you are done with landing. Landing formalities can take between 10 min to couple of hours depending on crowd and then you are free to return to USA.