+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lahore to Montreal

asim.ansari

Feb 15, 2017
Hello everyone, my name is Asim Ansari and I am from Lahore Pakistan. Since last 1.5 years, I used to visit this forum (and it really helped me) for planning my travel, immigration and settlement in Montreal Canada, so I thought it’s a time for payback by sharing my experience. I landed here recently and thought I should post a write up of my experience here so far along with the planning material which I prepared and followed. It is not advised to follow my plan as it is but use this seek some guidance, because immigration and settlement to a new country is a very complex and demanding procedure, and specially if you are moving along with your family then planning becomes of absolute importance. Your comfortable travel and successful settlement totally depends on your planning.

So, I selected Qatar Airways since it provides direct landing in Montreal from Doha. So, after 3.5 hours of travel from Lahore to Doha, we took a BOEING 777 Jet which have taken us to Montreal in 13 hours. We were four family members (2 adults and 2 infants), I have taken 4 seats in both flights and paid PKR. 99,500 per adult and PKR. 78,800 per infant seat. My traveling experience with Qatar Airways in the past as well as this time was very good. Just before our landing at Trudeau Airport we received a declaration card (E311 – one for each family member), which we filled and kept with us to be submitted at airport upon exit.
We landed at MONTREAL TRUDEAU airport at 2:20pm and when we get off the plane (almost at the end). Trudeau airport is very functional, professional and artistically designed. We went straight to the immigration counter. We were called to a new line may be because we were having small kids, just walked over to the immigration officer and handed over our passports. He was a nice and a welcoming young man and asked if we were immigrating, I told him that I have temporary resident visa (TRV) and I am here for job, I showed him our pre-approval letters and told him that our work permits will be printed at the airport. He quickly stamped our passports after checking our visas and told me that we should go to secondary immigration which will process my work permit. This officer was smart and quick and we were free from him in five minutes. It's right next to the immigration counters. Counters in this office were almost empty and we were called to a counter where a very welcoming gentleman was sitting and welcomed us with a wide smile and asked for my documents, I provided him the following documents

a. Passports

b. Pre-approval letters from IRCC

c. Intercompany transfer letter

d. Letter of employment

e. Experience letter

f. E311 Declaration Card

g. E677 - Proof of funds

h. BSF186 Personal Effects Accounting Document

My visa was valid for almost five months (on the day of landing) but the landing officer was kind enough to issue us our work permits for one year, I thanked him and that was it. He took 20 minutes and completed the entire processing. We found immigration officers and generally all Canadians quite friendly and welcoming specially if you have small kids with you.

We exited immigration and went to baggage area. We were very conscious about winters because my kids were small (2.4 years and 1.6 years) so we have kept their jackets and caps in our hand carry, which we used at baggage area because it was not too warm and we can feel winters. At that time Montreal weather was cloudy and 18C. I had six suite cases, a baby stroller and a carton. I was able to locate all my suite cases but carton and stroller were not there. I inquired airport staff appointed at luggage counter and they told me to check oversized items section, I found both items there, so I was done with collecting all items. However, I needed a trolley which can hold these eight pieces along with our two hand carries, so I went back to the luggage inquiry section and they informed me about their porter service for which they charge CAD$60 and their porter will load all luggage to a big trolley and load even in taxi. I accepted their offer and paid CAD$60 in cash at their counter and got a receipt. Shortly one of their smart porter (a Muslim young man who belongs to Bangladesh) approached me and put everything. He was a nice and very helpful human being. I submitted our E311 cards upon my exit from the airport. Other than that, we haven’t been intercepted, even customs inspection was not done. He asked me to stay with luggage and searched for a minivan taxi that can hold all our luggage and us obviously. Taxi driver was from Tunisia and was a very nice guy, gave me information about Montreal on the way to Brossard. He loaded all our luggage and arranged it very professionally. He didn’t have kid car seat for toddlers in his car. All taxis at Montreal Airport start their meters from CAN$3.25.

We rested for two days and then went to Service Canada's office in Brossard, which was 15 minutes by walk so we decided to go by foot. Atmosphere was very well and air was very fresh. I could feel it by inhaling until my lungs. Social Insurance Number (SIN) was one of the basic and prime identification document being used by Govt and Banks in Canada. It was compulsory for myself and for my wife. We went to the counter with the following docs.

a. Passports

b. Works permits

c. Temporary Resident Visas (TRV)

A gentleman took our detail and told us to take seats. We were called in 2 minutes and a pleasant young Muslim lady asked my address and phone number, name of my mother and she issued me a SIN number and gave me a print out. Really a no hassle process, we were free in 10 minutes.

I went to IGA (which is quite expensive, later I got my Costco membership card and now going there for my monthly grocery) in Brossard for doing my first Grocery. Below is my list of items. I can provide rates, if anyone interested.

S# Grocery list
1 Royal basmati Rice
2 Flour
3 Sugar
4 Cooking oil
5 Salt
6 Red pepper
7 Black pepper
8 Coriander
9 Dhania powder
10 Chinese salt
11 Garlic paste
12 Ginger paste
13 Vinegar
14 Corn flour
15 Dal mash
16 Dal Chana
17 Dal masor or arhar
18 Black masar
19 Onion
20 Potato
21 Tomato
22 Vegetables for cooking
23 Vegetables for Salad
24 Garam Masala
25 Shaan Masala
26 Besan
27 All-purpose flour (Maida)
28 Suji
29 Red Beans
30 Chanay
31 Tamarind
32 Lemon
33 Dhania
34 Cucumber
35 Carrot
36 Cabbage
37 Ice Berg
38 Mayonnaise
39 Butter
40 Jam
41 Tomato Ketchup
42 Soya Sause
43 Chili Sause
44 Kinor Cubes
45 Noodles
46 Macaroni
47 Peas Pack
48 Nuggets
49 Halal Chicken (purchased from Kohinoor, near service Canada Brossard)
50 Halal Beef and Lamb (Kohinoor)
51 Mince
52 Pampers
53 Red n green Shimla
54 Chicken powder
55 Shaan biryani masala
56 Salt
57 Cardamom Elachi
58 Toothpaste
59 Castle and olive oil
60 Dhania
61 Carrots
62 Spinach
63 Yogurt
64 Macaroni
65 Tide washing liquid soap
66 Dish wash liquid soap
67 Washroom cleaning gel
68 Tea
69 Nehari masala
70 Chaat masala
71 Yellow food color
72 Shampoo and conditioner
73 Face wash
74 Soap
75 Toothpaste and toothbrush
76 Garam masala
77 Achar
78 Ajwain
79 Tamarind
80 Almond
81 Pistachio
82 Mayonnaise
83 Egg
84 Bread
85 Butter
86 Fruits banana, apple, strawberry, grapes etc
87 Cheez
88 Milk 2%

Will write more in a while. If you want me to write about specific areas of settlement, please feel free ask.

Tamour

Oct 12, 2017
Which Bank's statement you showed as POF (your account was in which bank) as I have read somewhere in this forum that they Might not accept statements from some banks.

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Interesting..

Why did you choose Brossard ?

Shehzad26

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Khulna
Visa Office......
Singapore
One of my colleague from Pakistan was also living in Brossard, so that was the major reason. Later I found this place very peaceful, clean and very approachable.
I am from bangladesh and don’t know French. can I survive in Quebec. We are also 4, both the kids below 10.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am from bangladesh and don’t know French. can I survive in Quebec. We are also 4, both the kids below 10.
If you work in IT not knowing French is not a problem. Kids can learn languages quickly and must attend French school unless you want to pay for private school. All depends on your willingness to learn at least some French and what type of industry you and your spouse work in.