+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

kids as family member

harrygun_wangxin

May 28, 2015
Hi all,
I have some question regarding the my kids, which I'm quite confusing right now. Hope anyone could help.

My wife and I are Chinese, and just got our w1 visas recently and is going to Toronto in a few weeks (my wife applied open work permit associated with me). Since my two sons are US citizen, we haven't applied anything for them. I got the impression from the visa center that they could either come back and forth every 6 months or have to apply a study permit, which we decided not to since they are so young.

Now, the question is related to the health insurance of my kids. To be eligible as family members, I have to provide them one of the following:
-> The eligible foreign worker's Canadian Immigration document identifying the accompanying family member(s); or
-> The individual family member's immigration document as issued by CIC; or
-> Family member's passport with an admission stamp cross-referenced to the foreign worker's work permit.

I don't think I have any documents from immigration identifying them are my kids, so it has to be the third one -- passport stamp cross-reference to my work permit.

Because I haven't entered the boarder yet, I'm not sure what the process would be, should I have to specifically ask them to do so? And if they got cross-referenced stamp, could they stay longer than 6 months?

Thanks a lot.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they are not of school age, you should have applied for their TRV's to match your work permit which would allow them to stay as long as your permit is valid. However, since they are visa exempt, you don't have to worry about this right now. You can ask if they can do it as you enter Canada. If not, you can apply to extend their status from inside Canada.

gogo1234

Aug 17, 2015
entering canada on soon to expire pr card

hello, need urgent help.
i received canadian pr in 2000, stayed for a month in canada and got sin card. but had to leave as i was studying and soon after i got married. had a very tough marriage and finally got a divorce in june 2015. now i wish to travel back to canada and live there, but i am worried they wont let me enter. my pr expires in october 2015. will i be sent back from the airport. what are my options? i am from india.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: entering canada on soon to expire pr card

gogo1234 said:
hello, need urgent help.
i received canadian pr in 2000, stayed for a month in canada and got sin card. but had to leave as i was studying and soon after i got married. had a very tough marriage and finally got a divorce in june 2015. now i wish to travel back to canada and live there, but i am worried they wont let me enter. my pr expires in october 2015. will i be sent back from the airport. what are my options? i am from india.
You will be allowed to enter Canada provided you PR card is still valid. However there is a chance you may be reported at the border for failing to meet the residency obligation. If you are NOT reported, you should remain in Canada for 2 years straight without leaving for even one day before you try to renew your PR card. If you ARE reported, then you will have to appear at a hearing to justify why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. If you are not successful at this hearing, your PR status will be revoked and you will be asked to leave Canada.