+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job opportunities in Banking sector for Indians

Aug 23, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I need some guidance to decide if its worthwhile making the effort to move to Canada.
Am looking for specific advise/feedback from people associated in banking/financial service sector in Canada.
I am a MBA from an Indian Institute, having 10 yrs of work experience in global/private banks in India primarily in credit roles earning decently. I have recently begun my preparation for EE and new to the forum. Prima facie, I do seem to qualify under the EE program but having a hard time to decide if this would be good move. While I understand that everyone initially struggles to settle in Canada, but I would like a realistic view on
- Is it easy for Indians to land a job in Canadian banks ? if so, what kind of timeframe should I factor in after obtaining a PR?
-I can also look at credit rating agencies, is that easier than banks to get into? what time frame to land in a decent job? or any other suggestion to expand my target industry?
-Any specific province that I should look at? as of now, I am looking only at Toronto & Montreal. Should I include any other province?
-What should be the salary package ? I know its difficult to quantify without knowing more information, but any reasonable estimate should help, reason being I have a good salary back home, I am moving only for better living standards ( better infra structure, less pollution, corruption and population and hence fewer competition)
Am willing to take a pay cut initially in order to achieve my Canadian dream, but I don't want to ruin my career by chasing a mirage especially when I am earning well here in India.
- Any online courses that I can start from India that would boost my prospects of getting a banking job?
- Do sites like efinancial careers/ indeed /monster /naukri etc really help in finding a banking job in Canada sitting in India?

Many thanks

Aug 23, 2017
91 views...and not a single reply!!
People, can someone pls provide some feedback...whatever info that you may/heard from your friends/relatives...pls

nmehra6613

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I need some guidance to decide if its worthwhile making the effort to move to Canada.
Am looking for specific advise/feedback from people associated in banking/financial service sector in Canada.
I am a MBA from an Indian Institute, having 10 yrs of work experience in global/private banks in India primarily in credit roles earning decently. I have recently begun my preparation for EE and new to the forum. Prima facie, I do seem to qualify under the EE program but having a hard time to decide if this would be good move. While I understand that everyone initially struggles to settle in Canada, but I would like a realistic view on
- Is it easy for Indians to land a job in Canadian banks ? if so, what kind of timeframe should I factor in after obtaining a PR?
-I can also look at credit rating agencies, is that easier than banks to get into? what time frame to land in a decent job? or any other suggestion to expand my target industry?
-Any specific province that I should look at? as of now, I am looking only at Toronto & Montreal. Should I include any other province?
-What should be the salary package ? I know its difficult to quantify without knowing more information, but any reasonable estimate should help, reason being I have a good salary back home, I am moving only for better living standards ( better infra structure, less pollution, corruption and population and hence fewer competition)
Am willing to take a pay cut initially in order to achieve my Canadian dream, but I don't want to ruin my career by chasing a mirage especially when I am earning well here in India.
- Any online courses that I can start from India that would boost my prospects of getting a banking job?
- Do sites like efinancial careers/ indeed /monster /naukri etc really help in finding a banking job in Canada sitting in India?

Many thanks
Hi, I will try to address your query.

1) it depends on case to case basis, but it is generally tough to get jobs in banks in Canada..esp in the credit roles..there are a number of reasons including limited number of these opportunities and a large pool of finance talent in the country. You seem to have impressive background in credit already and compared to others it might be easier for you to land your first gig. Again you might want to start with smaller financial insititutions like credit unions as it would be easier to get into one of those instead of the big 5 Canadian banks.

2) credit rating agencies is a good option but again the limiting factor would be the not so great presence of big3 cra's in Canada. Time frame hugely varies and also depends on the time of the year. For example, not much hiring in November, December period.

3) I would say Toronto is your best bet.

4) salary is again something which would vary a lot...a colleague of mine (immigrant) who had around 10+ years banking experience started at around 65k and made a move to a bigger organization at close to 120k within 6 months time. Again this was just one of those cases..but around 70-100k should be reasonable in your case.

5) linkedin is the best medium to connect..including with recruiters..

6) don't want to be harsh but your indian Mba may not help you here...as Canadian market generally doesn't value indian MBA degrees..cfa is something which is valued more here..

Again, it is a big risk with some discomfort initially..but with persistent efforts most of the banking guys do well..hope it helps and good luck..if anything you can message me..

Last edited:
Reactions: shikhagaba88

shikhagaba88

Jan 22, 2018
Hi
I am from India and looking forward to get permanent residency in Canada.
Just a little query.
Any idea if CCRA (Certified Credit Research Analyst) by AIWMI is being recognized here in Canada.

Thanks

shikhagaba88

Jan 22, 2018
Hi
I am from India and looking forward to get permanent residency in Canada.
Just a little query.
Any idea if CCRA (Certified Credit Research Analyst) by AIWMI is being recognized here in Canada.

Thanks

Peter Allen

May 23, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks
Getting job in foreign land without prior experience in the industry is always difficult task. Canadian market is much smaller compared to US market and there are 4 large banks employing majority of the people. So there is always an inherent risk, unless you personally know someone. However there are couple ways in which on can try 1) try for smaller banking, non-banks with lower expectations from job for certain period of time b) try for niche in banking market e.g. lot of old time bankers are not too comfortable with new age banking, fintech view, digital banking etc, start with base level knowledge in digital banking and then move to higher level. I came across this book called "A quick view of Global Banking in just 30 minutes" at Amazon books. Also try for video course on digital banking. Build you brand over web real estate and help yourselves confidently presenting to these banks. This is not the normal way of getting job, but help to push your case among huge waiting list.

Reactions: maxwell01uk

Peter Allen

May 23, 2018
Getting job in foreign land without prior experience in the industry is always difficult task. Canadian market is much smaller compared to US market and there are 4 large banks employing majority of the people. So there is always an inherent risk, unless you personally know someone. However there are couple ways in which on can try 1) try for smaller banking, non-banks with lower expectations from job for certain period of time b) try for niche in banking market e.g. lot of old time bankers are not too comfortable with new age banking, fintech view, digital banking etc, start with base level knowledge in digital banking and then move to higher level. I came across this book called "A quick view of Global Banking in just 30 minutes" at Amazon books. Also try for video course on digital banking. Build you brand over web real estate and help yourselves confidently presenting to these banks. This is not the normal way of getting job, but help to push your case among huge waiting list.
Correcting name of the book "A quick view of Global Digital Banking in Just 30 minutes" by Shripad Vaidya. Missed Digital in the name.

Jyoti Behl

Mar 19, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks
Hi,

Just wanted to know, did you move to Canada and got job there.
My husband is also a banker working as Branch Manager in Wealth Management branch of one of the reputed banks in India. He is having 7 years of experience and we are looking into the opportunities he can get in Canada if we plan to move. He basically deals in investments of HNI clients.
Please guide if you had already moved or have any information which can help us.

CanadaVisaForumMember

Star Member
May 24, 2018
Hi,

Just wanted to know, did you move to Canada and got job there.
My husband is also a banker working as Branch Manager in Wealth Management branch of one of the reputed banks in India. He is having 7 years of experience and we are looking into the opportunities he can get in Canada if we plan to move. He basically deals in investments of HNI clients.
Please guide if you had already moved or have any information which can help us.
Hi,
I am an applicant who has never lived in Canada. I am sorry for I do not have an answer to your query.

Pankajbish

Oct 18, 2019
Hi,
Hope you are doing great.
I believe you would have received PR and credit profile.
I have the same profile as yours with Indian PGDM and 6 yrs of credit experience in global and Pvt banks in India.
Let me know if we can connect with each other for understanding of bankers.

Regards
Pankaj Bisht