+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Italian PhD as foreign work experience for PR under CEC

anto84

Sep 20, 2016
Hi everybody, could anybody help me with this question?

I have 3 years of work experience in Canada as a postdoctoral fellow (regular work permit since 2013), and I’m applying for permanent residence under the Canadian experience class.
My question is related to my foreign work experience.

Before moving to Canada, I got a PhD in Italy. The PhD program lasted more than 3 years. I spent 3.5 years working in a research center. My duties were compatible with the NOC 2111 (research scientist in physics), my ex-employer wrote a letter for me certifying that. In fact, even if I was enrolled in a PhD program at the university, I was spending almost all my time in this research center working to research projects.
The PhD program was about research. Let’s say, if I worked 45 hours per week, 30 hours can be considered as NOC 2111 and 15 hours as training for my PhD program (e.g., courses, study, thesis, etc…).
My question is: are those 3 years accepted as foreign work experience?

Thank you very much, :)
A.

Judas68fr

Sep 21, 2016
Hello!

I'm in the same boat as you, just got an ITA in the CEC, and indicated my PhD in France as work experience (in the 40XX NOC though, I had a rather significant TA load).

The conditions specify that it has to be full time/paid, so that should be ok.

I'll let you know how things work out for me.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
anto84 said:
Before moving to Canada, I got a PhD in Italy. The PhD program lasted more than 3 years. I spent 3.5 years working in a research center. My duties were compatible with the NOC 2111 (research scientist in physics), my ex-employer wrote a letter for me certifying that. In fact, even if I was enrolled in a PhD program at the university, I was spending almost all my time in this research center working to research projects.
The PhD program was about research. Let’s say, if I worked 45 hours per week, 30 hours can be considered as NOC 2111 and 15 hours as training for my PhD program (e.g., courses, study, thesis, etc…).
Generally, IRCC will accept it based on the number of hours of work (as opposed to educational program requirements) stated in the letter of employment. Note that it does not have to be full-time, it can be "full-time equivalent" of part -time hours as well.

If the letter states that you were employed for 30 hours per week, then it would be accepted as ful-time employment. If the letter states that you were employed for 20 hours per week, then you would prorate your time (20/30...).

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Hello!

I'm in the same boat as you, just got an ITA in the CEC, and indicated my PhD in France as work experience (in the 40XX NOC though, I had a rather significant TA load).

The conditions specify that it has to be full time/paid, so that should be ok.

I'll let you know how things work out for me.
Hello, i just want to know if you have obtained PR based on work experience gained during PHD, i have the same situation.

Theinterceptor77

Nov 6, 2016
Hi everybody, could anybody help me with this question?

I have 3 years of work experience in Canada as a postdoctoral fellow (regular work permit since 2013), and I’m applying for permanent residence under the Canadian experience class.
My question is related to my foreign work experience.

Thank you very much, :)
A.
Don't risk it, claim your postdoc years and it will give you the maximum points anyway. If and only if you can get a letter clearly describing the TA tasks you did during your phd ( hours,duties, supervisor, salary...etc) then claim only the The Teaching assistant part. your phd research will count as education not job. The desicion finally lies with in the hand of the officer. Look at it this way PHD is always research they give more points for phd and probably wont expect anybody to double claim point for phd under work experience and education.

tushya

Oct 27, 2016
I thought the work experience you obtained during your study period cannot be awarded points? Is it PHD a different situation? Fellows please advise, thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can not be claiming that you are working in research and doing you PhD. PhDs involve doing research. You can say that you worked as a TA if you actually did work as a tutor/teaching assistant.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010