+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student wanting to apply for PR - Options

Alderson

Dec 30, 2010
Hi,
I am an International student, who came here a year back to undergo my Engg Degree that I completed and got a work term with a company (part of the course to graduate). I will be graduating in April 2011, and my visa expires in Aug 2011.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with regard to my options of getting my PR or Work permit done. I know there is the graduation WP which I can apply after I graduate.

Also the company I am working for is a huge company, and I was wondering if I should ask for a LMO done through the company. ALso can I start my Pre approval for an LMO by myself?

Is there any other way that I can apply for my PR being here in Canada (inland application).

Really appreciate it.

Thanks...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Alderson said:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with regard to my options of getting my PR or Work permit done. I know there is the graduation WP which I can apply after I graduate.

As soon as you graduate, apply for your Post-graduate work permit (PGWP). Your PGWP will be no longer than your study program (1 1/2 years?) inclusive of the "work term." It is better than a TWP because you don't have to apply for the LMO, and because it is "open" (you can change employers if you want to). Later, when your PGWP is near expiration, your employer can apply for an LMO and at TWP.

Is there any other way that I can apply for my PR being here in Canada (inland application).

You don't say (a) what type of degree you're getting (B.S, M.S., or ???), or (b) what province you are in - but you can explore the Provincial Nominee Programs
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

Your education program is too short to qualify for CEC under the international graduates stream, but if you work for 2 years after graduation (your "work term" will not count) in a skilled occupation (NOC O,A,or B), then you may apply under CEC in the temporary workers stream.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Finally, if you get one year of experience in a skilled occupation, you might qualify under the Skilled Workers program.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

Alderson

Dec 30, 2010
Hi Jes,
Thanks alot for your reply.
I underwent my B.A in Petroleum Engg, but when I was granted admissions I was told by my advisor that this course (which I finished in 9 months because I was exempted from subjects I had undergone in my previous degree) was looked at like a 2 year course by CIC and that I would be eligible for a 3 yr PGWP...So I finished my course in April 2010, and got a co-op position in Aug which will help me grad and apply for a PGWP...but I need to get this done before Aug 2011 (WP/Study permit expires) which I will, process started. Now, my employer likes me and wants to extend my term upto Dec 2011, wherein they will check on my skills...and hopefully provide me a permanent position, but I am kind off afraid to ask them for an LMO at this moment, so prefer getting my PGWP and then gain the 1 yr Work experience and apply for my PR through CEC showing them one year of experience under the PGWP (need to do the math and get this 1 year by asking for extensions)
Secondly, I looked at the Provincial Nominee progs (ALBERTA), I had all my paper work ready to apply (family stream - sister is here) but CIC discontinued the AINP - Family Stream in Aug 2010. So that route for me went Kapput :(
So..I really wanted to know if there is any other way I could get myself through this...

Thanks!

Aldrin

Alderson

Dec 30, 2010
The B.A in Petroleum Engg is a 2 year applied degree course(which I will graduate in a year due to expemptions) - so if I apply for my PGWP will I get a 3 year PGWP???

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Alderson said:
The B.A in Petroleum Engg is a 2 year applied degree course(which I will graduate in a year due to expemptions) - so if I apply for my PGWP will I get a 3 year PGWP???
No, it will be as long as you studied, i.e. 1 year.

chibiks

Apr 12, 2010
PMM,
I called CIC Call Centre regarding this, if you have a letter from the institution that the course is 2 years but finish in 1 year, you are eligible for 2-3 years work permit not 1 year.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chibiks said:
PMM,
I called CIC Call Centre regarding this, if you have a letter from the institution that the course is 2 years but finish in 1 year, you are eligible for 2-3 years work permit not 1 year.
The Call centre agents aren't always right. Be interested to see what the IO processing it does with this. Good luck.