+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student wanting to apply for PR - Options

Discussion in 'Canadian Experience Class' started by Alderson, Jan 22, 2011.

  1. Hi,
    I am an International student, who came here a year back to undergo my Engg Degree that I completed and got a work term with a company (part of the course to graduate). I will be graduating in April 2011, and my visa expires in Aug 2011.

    I was wondering if anyone could help me with regard to my options of getting my PR or Work permit done. I know there is the graduation WP which I can apply after I graduate.

    Also the company I am working for is a huge company, and I was wondering if I should ask for a LMO done through the company. ALso can I start my Pre approval for an LMO by myself?

    Is there any other way that I can apply for my PR being here in Canada (inland application).

    Really appreciate it.

  3. Hi Jes,
    Thanks alot for your reply.
    I underwent my B.A in Petroleum Engg, but when I was granted admissions I was told by my advisor that this course (which I finished in 9 months because I was exempted from subjects I had undergone in my previous degree) was looked at like a 2 year course by CIC and that I would be eligible for a 3 yr PGWP...So I finished my course in April 2010, and got a co-op position in Aug which will help me grad and apply for a PGWP...but I need to get this done before Aug 2011 (WP/Study permit expires) which I will, process started. Now, my employer likes me and wants to extend my term upto Dec 2011, wherein they will check on my skills...and hopefully provide me a permanent position, but I am kind off afraid to ask them for an LMO at this moment, so prefer getting my PGWP and then gain the 1 yr Work experience and apply for my PR through CEC showing them one year of experience under the PGWP (need to do the math and get this 1 year by asking for extensions)
    Secondly, I looked at the Provincial Nominee progs (ALBERTA), I had all my paper work ready to apply (family stream - sister is here) but CIC discontinued the AINP - Family Stream in Aug 2010. So that route for me went Kapput :(
    So..I really wanted to know if there is any other way I could get myself through this...


  4. The B.A in Petroleum Engg is a 2 year applied degree course(which I will graduate in a year due to expemptions) - so if I apply for my PGWP will I get a 3 year PGWP???
  5. Hi

    No, it will be as long as you studied, i.e. 1 year.
  6. PMM,
    I called CIC Call Centre regarding this, if you have a letter from the institution that the course is 2 years but finish in 1 year, you are eligible for 2-3 years work permit not 1 year.
  7. The Call centre agents aren't always right. Be interested to see what the IO processing it does with this. Good luck.

Share This Page