+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance pre-arrival, pregnancy

MemMoh

May 23, 2017
I've done quite a lot of research but can't really find an answer to my questions. They are all very close, but I'm still not able to make a decision.

If all goes well I should land before the end of 2017 (got an ITA and in the process of submitting my docs). I am not pregnant yet but planning to be in the next few months so I want to prepare well. I understand I won't be eligible for insurance (landing in Ottawa) in the first three months so I'm looking into private insurance now because i understand that I won't qualify for private insurance if I buy it after I get pregnant.

Here are my questions,

1. After the three months pass, will I qualify for delivery under OHIP or is pregnancy considered as a pre-existing condition under OHIP?

2. What are the best options for private insurance that includes pregnancy (bought before the beginning of the pregnancy)

3. Based on the timeline, I would need to purchase the insurance now before I land in Canada. Can I purchase insurance while still in Egypt?

4. Would insurance cover prenatal care or only the actual birth?

Thanks very much, I really appreciate this forum!!!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
I've done quite a lot of research but can't really find an answer to my questions. They are all very close, but I'm still not able to make a decision.

If all goes well I should land before the end of 2017 (got an ITA and in the process of submitting my docs). I am not pregnant yet but planning to be in the next few months so I want to prepare well. I understand I won't be eligible for insurance (landing in Ottawa) in the first three months so I'm looking into private insurance now because i understand that I won't qualify for private insurance if I buy it after I get pregnant.

Here are my questions,

1. After the three months pass, will I qualify for delivery under OHIP or is pregnancy considered as a pre-existing condition under OHIP?

2. What are the best options for private insurance that includes pregnancy (bought before the beginning of the pregnancy)

3. Based on the timeline, I would need to purchase the insurance now before I land in Canada. Can I purchase insurance while still in Egypt?

4. Would insurance cover prenatal care or only the actual birth?

Thanks very much, I really appreciate this forum!!!
1. Yes. There are no "pre-existing condition" qualifications for OHIP.
2. Do a search on this forum as many alternatives have been recommended in the past.
3. Yes, you can purchase the insurance online.
4. It would depend on the policy.

Reactions: MemMoh

MemMoh

May 23, 2017
1. Yes. There are no "pre-existing condition" qualifications for OHIP.
2. Do a search on this forum as many alternatives have been recommended in the past.
3. Yes, you can purchase the insurance online.
4. It would depend on the policy.
Thank you very much!