+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport with validity less than 6 months

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by TorontoFerrari, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I have a Canadian PR with valid Indian passport which is expiring in 6 months. Due to some family reason I have to travel to India & come back in 4-5 weeks.

Someone told me there is rule that I should have passport with at least 6 month validity when travel to India or out of India.
    To verify that I read online forum & most of the people saying, with Indian passport going to India there is NO validity requirement, even with 1 day validity Indian citizen can travel to India.
    Also when coming back to Canada there should NOT be any issue as i have Canadian PR, even I can travel with Indian passport valid for 1 day.

Indian passport with 6 months validity requirement is only applicable if someone travelling out of India on Visitor visa, with Canadian PR there is NO problem.

Now if someone who had similar circumstances & traveled to India & come back to Canada, please share their experience. Any issue raised airlines or official at Indian or Canadian airport?

Thanks for your help!!

2. I have no experienced about this and other may give any input but my oppinion..
    1. You are Indian passport holder so you can return to your country without any problem for direct flight except if you transit in one foreign country, you might get challenging
    2. Enter Canada, No additional period of validity beyond this is required, but if your passport has less than 6 months validity remaining when you arrive in Canada it may take longer to pass through immigration control

3. Thanks for the response.
    1). But why there will be challenge if i have couple of hours layover at airport, i am not going out?
    2). Also while coming back, why should be a problem since i have valid Canadian PR? Someone can live in Canada with expired Indian passport, as long as i have Canadian PR.

4. 1. If you transit in USA, u need visa transit and passport expire before 6months
    2. PR Canada but your passport is belong to other country :)

5. If i don't travel through USA then?
    The reason i said Canadian PR as i heard immigration creates problem for passport less than 6 month if someone is going on Visitor visa. In that case they want to make sure person is not staying on expired passport. But in my case as i have Canadian PR, i can stay in Canada with expired Indian passport. Right?

6. I have no experience as you but in my oppinion i dont want any trouble :)

With PR you can stay in Canada but when you travelling outside, you still folllow as the passport you are belong to