Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I resigned from my job on April 2010, moved to Canada on July 2010, didn't disclose my income from home country when I filed the next year (though the income tax had been withheld there anyway, no to double taxation!), CRA never asked and I was never audited.

rsirish

Dec 1, 2016
Fairmont81 said:
Hi All,
Need some advise. We landed in Oct 16 for 3 weeks as initial landing and planned to move back to Qatar next week. The permanent move to Canada is planned by end of Dec 2017.

Question:

1. How are significant ties defined which make int'l income taxable?

2. Is opening a bank account eligible for CRA to say you had sufficent ties? or can i open one and transfer money from Qatar accounti into this Canadian account over the next 1 year to transfer appx 150K CAD funds?

3. How can I ensure I am not taxed on this money transfer without being resident in Canada. I am not even applying for health insurance yet.

4. Do I hve to fill any tax returns for 2016 and 2017?

5. So far, I only have SIN number as I was not sure whether driving license, insurance and bank account may mean significant ties to Canada making my int"l income taxable.

please note, So far Qatar is a tax free country. i.e. no tax on gross income.

appreictae quick reply.and advise.

best regards

Hi, I understand this post is a couple of months old but i am also in a similar situation. I live and work in Dubai which is a tax free country. We recently received our COPR and are planning to go to Canada next month for 2-3 weeks to complete the initial formalities and apply for the PR card. We will migrate permanently to Canada early or mid next year. Does just having a PR make me a tax resident in Canada for income earned from next month onwards? What else(health insurance, SIN etc) should i avoid to be categorised under significant ties with Canada? Appreciate your time and help in clarifying my query.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Soft landing won't make you a tax resident. You can apply for health insurance and SIN when you come back next year.

Kris233

Star Member
May 4, 2017
So I will be landing in Calgary in January 2018, do I have to save all my payslips from this year to prove my UK income?

I'll be honest I am a little lost as to what income from another country has to do with Canada, surely I can't get taxed on UK income?

Kris

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You don't get taxed on your UK income prior to moving to Canada permanently, surely you will have UK ITR for 2017? that is your basis if you ever apply for benefits like CCB or GST/HST credit.

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
Hi All,

I landed and became permanent Canadian Resident in October, 2017. Here is the summary of income I earned in 2017 as a freelancer and part-time jobs:

Income Deposited in Indian Bank Account:
Jan, 2017 to Sept, 2017: CAD 19700
Oct, 2017 to Dec, 2017: CAD 6400

Income Deposited in Canadian Bank Account:
Oct, 2017 to Dec, 2017: CAD 8350

It would be great if someone can help me with answers for following questions:

1) As a resident of Ontario, on which income amounts (mentioned above) do I need to pay tax for 2017?
2) Do I need to declare how much tax I already paid in India (on income deposited in Indian Bank accounts)? If yes, then its bit complicated for me to check how much taxes I paid for first three months because Indian Financial Year (April 01 to 31 March) is different from Canadian Financial Year (Jan 01 to Dec 31).
3) Apart from Tax filing in Canada, I will also face similar issues while filing taxes in India too (April 2017 to March 2018). Is it possible if I don't add worldwide incomes but pay the taxes on incomes earned in respective countries?

Thanks,
SG

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Pay tax on income earned from October.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

I landed and became permanent Canadian Resident in October, 2017. Here is the summary of income I earned in 2017 as a freelancer and part-time jobs:

Income Deposited in Indian Bank Account:
Jan, 2017 to Sept, 2017: CAD 19700
Oct, 2017 to Dec, 2017: CAD 6400

Income Deposited in Canadian Bank Account:
Oct, 2017 to Dec, 2017: CAD 8350

It would be great if someone can help me with answers for following questions:

1) As a resident of Ontario, on which income amounts (mentioned above) do I need to pay tax for 2017?
2) Do I need to declare how much tax I already paid in India (on income deposited in Indian Bank accounts)? If yes, then its bit complicated for me to check how much taxes I paid for first three months because Indian Financial Year (April 01 to 31 March) is different from Canadian Financial Year (Jan 01 to Dec 31).
3) Apart from Tax filing in Canada, I will also face similar issues while filing taxes in India too (April 2017 to March 2018). Is it possible if I don't add worldwide incomes but pay the taxes on incomes earned in respective countries?

Thanks,
SG
Hi

When you file your 2017 taxes in Canada, you need to declare and pay applicable tax on your worldwide income from October onward. You can claim credit for tax already paid on the Oct-Dec income earned in India. The fact that the financial years are different doesn't matter; that is something you should have been accounting for and tracking since you landed in Canada.

Luwiswis

Star Member
Jul 5, 2018
I have the same problem. The CRA emailed me with and told me that i don’t have world income and i am not qualified for GST for 2019. But i did work on my country in 2018 for just 3 months. Do i need to declare it? Does this kind of problem affect my PR application in the future?

ahmedsisy

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hi KLRK
Can you please tell us what did you do with that issue and what were the consequences ?
or can any one else who had the same issue give us a clear advice ?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the same problem. The CRA emailed me with and told me that i don’t have world income and i am not qualified for GST for 2019. But i did work on my country in 2018 for just 3 months. Do i need to declare it? Does this kind of problem affect my PR application in the future?
You shouldn’t lie to CRA. Yes you should have reported your 2018 family international income when they asked for it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi KLRK
Can you please tell us what did you do with that issue and what were the consequences ?
or can any one else who had the same issue give us a clear advice ?
The big takeaway in all these posts is don’t lie to CRA. You are being asked about your foreign income to figure out your level of benefits for the next year not to tax you if you haven’t been living in Canada. If @KLRK does get audited they would be in the wrong if they wrote that they made 0 income internationally and would likely owe money and a penalty. Answer questions correctly and you should be fine.

Reactions: ahmedsisy