+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In need of help on where to go next after IEC is over

adam2893

Jul 28, 2017
Hi guys, so we are planning to go over on IEC and then try to find long term permanent work after that. The two easiest provinces I have seen is Saskatchewan and Quebec (we don't know much french, does that matter a lot?) and both seem like beautiful places and I'd be happy with either but really, my wife and I just want to be in Canada and call the beautiful country home. So can someone help me as it is a bit confusing.

For Quebec

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/informations/peq/index.html

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/temporary-workers/stay-quebec/application-csq/workers-quebec/index.html

I think coming over with IEC will fit into this category

Youth exchange program
The regular program applies to you if you were legally admitted to Québec as a participant in a youth exchange program (for example, through a Working Holiday, Young Professionals or International Co-op Internship permit) for one or more consecutive periods totalling at least one year
If I am reading this correctly Quebec would require 12 months of permanent full time employment and then we would qualify for permanent residency? am I correct? Would it matter if it is skilled work or not and what is the definition of skilled work in Quebec, I can't find what their skilled jobs are.

If not Quebec then Saskatchewan lays out their information a bit easier and comes with the benefit of not needing to know French.

So our two options with Saskatchewan (we'd prefer the hospitality method if its possible) is

Hospitality Sector Project

http://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-with-saskatchewan-experience/hospitality-sector-project

Have a valid work permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for one of the following:

• Food/Beverage Server (NOC 6513)
    • Food Counter Attendant/Kitchen Helper (NOC 6711)
    • Housekeeping/Cleaning Staff (NOC 6731)

So what does that mean? could we qualify by just having jobs at things like Starbucks and Tim Hortons or does it need to be a better job than that?

Then it says

Have an offer of permanent, full-time employment from an approved Saskatchewan Hospitality employer
So how do we find out who these approved employers are? they aren't listed anywhere that I could find.

Or we can go this route

Applicants With Existing Work Permit

http://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-with-saskatchewan-experience/applicants-with-existing-work-permit

Have been working in Saskatchewan for at least six months, with a valid work permit
Which should be easy to do if we can find a permanent job, the main problem with migrating like that is we need to get skilled jobs in the A,B or 0 category and we only have high school qualifications so I'm not sure how possible that would be, would it be possible at all?

If not my girlfriend has considered studying in Canada so we could go that route but its much more expensive and takes much longer.

But any help would be great, sorry if this is overly long I just wanted to list all the information I have and I want to be a part of Canada and live in the amazing country.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It tends to be more difficult to find a job in Quebec without speaking French fluently. But many still make it work.

For the Saskatchewan program that accepts food servers, the trick is finding an SINP approved employer (this is a requirement and not all employers qualify). I understand this can be a bit tricky and don't believe there's an actual list.

I would expect it will be very difficult to find NOC A, B or 0 jobs with only a high school education.

adam2893

Jul 28, 2017
It tends to be more difficult to find a job in Quebec without speaking French fluently. But many still make it work.

For the Saskatchewan program that accepts food servers, the trick is finding an SINP approved employer (this is a requirement and not all employers qualify). I understand this can be a bit tricky and don't believe there's an actual list.

I would expect it will be very difficult to find NOC A, B or 0 jobs with only a high school education.
We have decided that she will apply to study in Canada or we will go over on IEC and while there go for job interviews at as many hospitality business' as possible and see if they are SINP approved. It may not work but I don't know what else to do and I want to live in Canada more than anything else on this planet.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
We have decided that she will apply to study in Canada or we will go over on IEC and while there go for job interviews at as many hospitality business' as possible and see if they are SINP approved. It may not work but I don't know what else to do and I want to live in Canada more than anything else on this planet.
Well with so much praise of the country which is admirable can we all assume you have visited Canada already ?

I expect you have looked at the costs of study in Canada and assessed any college entry requirements with just high school education and the fact that you need a convincing case why studying in Canada is better for prospects than doing same in home country. Costs can be in the range of 15-18k CDN for tuition fees plus 10k Cdn living which you need to show upfront to get a study permit. On the other hand an accompanying spouse as you probably know can get a work permit for the duration of the study permit.

Plus of course following study there is the opportunity to get a post grad work permit , so a 12 -23 month course gets a 12-23 month permit, whereas a 2 year course gets 3 year permit. Downside is that for a spouse to work the PGWP holder must get a 0,A or B job.

Others can correct me but for the Saskatchewan program I read that as being for applicants that are already on an employer specific temporary work permit issued by IRCC for those jobs listed and not people on an open IEC work permit.

The wording is not very clear in the requirements so that is just my interpretation given if it were that easy every one of the thousands on an IEC would be heading for Saskatchewan especially as many IEC participants work in hospitality to fund their stay..

Last edited:

adam2893

Jul 28, 2017
Well with so much praise of the country which is admirable can we all assume you have visited Canada already ?

I expect you have looked at the costs of study in Canada and assessed any college entry requirements with just high school education and the fact that you need a convincing case why studying in Canada is better for prospects than doing same in home country. Costs can be in the range of 15-18k CDN for tuition fees plus 10k Cdn living which you need to show upfront to get a study permit. On the other hand an accompanying spouse as you probably know can get a work permit for the duration of the study permit.

Plus of course following study there is the opportunity to get a post grad work permit , so a 12 -23 month course gets a 12-23 month permit, whereas a 2 year course gets 3 year permit. Downside is that for a spouse to work the PGWP holder must get a 0,A or B job.

Others can correct me but for the Saskatchewan program I read that as being for applicants that are already on an employer specific temporary work permit issued by IRCC for those jobs listed and not people on an open IEC work permit.

The wording is not very clear in the requirements so that is just my interpretation given if it were that easy every one of the thousands on an IEC would be heading for Saskatchewan especially as many IEC participants work in hospitality to fund their stay..
I have been to Canada in the past, loved it and want to go back. The study thing is definitely not the main plan. But I have heard that you can use jobs that you've gotten on the IEC to be nominated in PNP for PR, maybe the rules are different for Saskatchewan, maybe an immigration lawyer would be good to ask, I just haven't wanted to spend money to talk to one.

From this link I don't see anything ruling out people on the IEC from the hospitality SINP

http://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-with-saskatchewan-experience/hospitality-sector-project

Who Can't Apply through the Saskatchewan Experience – Hospitality Section Project Sub-Category?

The following can't apply through this sub-category:
Refugee claimants in Canada who are claiming refugee status from the Government of Canada

Also, if any of these are true, you may not be eligible for nomination by the SINP:
You didn't submit documentation that the SINP asked for;
You were unable to prove that you intend to live and work in Saskatchewan; and,
You and or your representative have intentionally misrepresented yourselves in the application.
It even has a section for temporary workers

Temporary Foreign Workers
If you're a temporary foreign worker and are interested in this sub-category:

1. Your employer would have to submit a completed SINP-500-4 Hospitality Sector Recruitment and Retention Plan to the SINP.
  2. Once this plan is approved and you've completed the requirements for nomination, you can apply to the SINP in this sub-category.
The federal government sets the amount of nominations the SINP can make every year. The SINP also accepts a maximum number of applications each year. No application is guaranteed to be accepted and/or nominated.
I think I may contact a Foreign Worker Recruitment agency or an Immigration Lawyer

Last edited: