+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Important OHIP eligibility info for all PR applicants residing in Ontario

Richa!

Oct 3, 2017
This statement applies to sponsorship applications filed inland only. With inland applications (applications sent to Vegreville), there is a first stage approval (AIP) that is received at approximately the six month mark (assuming there are no issues with the applications). Once AIP has been received, the sponsored individual qualifies for OHIP.

It sounds like you applied outland (application sent to Mississauga). If so, then the above statement unfortunately doesn't apply to your wife. She will have to wait until she lands in Canada and becomes a PR + an additional three months of living in Canada after become a PR before qualifying for OHIP coverage.
Hi,

I am new & have applied for Inland application in June-end & had received my file number for PR. I have also submitted my Background check & Police verification docs. I now hold a Valid Open work permit (however, i don't hold a job offer in hand right now, i am still searching).

However, when i completed my stay of 3 months in Ontario, i was denied an OHIP basis no "Approval in PLace" from IRCC nor any letter from employer.

I read your valued suggestion, & found an AIP coming in 6 months from application submitted..

Can you please throw light on what is AIP ?

Richa!

Oct 3, 2017
I thought I would post this little update regarding OHIP coverage for your spouse if he or she lands in Ontario and starts living here before her PR application is approved. Here is what I found out.

A lot of people on this board and elsewhere have said that Reg. 552 only applies to inland applicants. That's not correct. Here is what I've learned.

After my wife was denied coverage at the Service Ontario Center I wrote to the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee (OERC) requesting a review of the Service Ontario representative's decision. The letter explained my wife's PR situation and enclosed the denial document as well as the letter I got from CIC approving me as sponsor.

So, yesterday I got a letter from the OERC enclosing a consent form for my wife to sign which will allow OERC to contact CIC and make inquiries about the status of her PR application. I spoke with the people at OERC by phone today and they told me this.

I had always thought that the outland PR process was a two step procedure; sponsorship approval/denial and then PR approval/denial. Unbeknownst to me, according to the OERC representative, in outland applications there is an intermediary step that the visa office goes through behind the scenes where they take a preliminary look at each application to determine if the applicant appears to be eligible for PR. Unlike inland applications where this step is called Stage One Approval, they don't tell the outland applicant anything about this step. If you appear to meet all the PR requirements your application then moves forward and someone looks at it later in more detail. If you get this interim approval they call you an "AFP", (Applicant For Permanent Residence).

So, as far as OHIP goes, once you sign the consent form allowing the OERC to communicate with CIC, the OERC will send a letter to the visa office where your application is being processed and inquire as to whether you are an "AFP". If CIC confirms that you are an AFP you can get OHIP three months after the date that CIC determined you were AFP. You don't need to wait for the final determination of your PR status.

Hopefully that clarifies matters for anyone who, like me, came to Canada with his wife before she had PR approval.
Hi,

Thanks a ton for your reply ! The information you provided on OERC is wonderful. I hope it works for me. I am an Inland Applicant, i have only received an Application of Receipt(AOR) with my file number. I have also been denied an OHIP by service ONtario.

Thanks for your valuable reply

Richa!

Oct 3, 2017
Starting April 1st, 2009, Ontario considered a PR applicant residing in Ontario eligible for OHIP according to the following:

"Being a person who has submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada to the proper federal government authority, even if the application has not yet been approved, as long as Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that the person meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, and the application has not yet been denied"

Source: Health Insurance Act R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 552, Subsection 1.4 paragraph 5

I have two points to clarify:

• I know that the common understanding for the above statement is that it is only true for inland applicants. However, this understanding is totally WRONG. The term "application for permanent residence in Canada" does not mean that it should be submitted within Canada, but it means that the applicant had submitted an application to reside permanently in Canada. If you check the PR application form, then you will see that it mentions "Application for Permanent Residence in Canada"
  • The PR applicant residing in Ontario is eligible from the time when the IO at visa office determines that eligiblity to apply for PR is being met in principle (commonly known as Initial Assesment). In CAIPS notes concering FSW cases, this eligibility is determined by PSDEC 1. Ontarian PR applicants under FSW who got their positive initial assesments, or who has CAIPS notes indicating PSDEC: 1, should be able to apply for OHIP and get the coverage after 3 months from the date of positive initial assesment/PSDEC.
Hi,
How will i know whether CIC has confirmed that i meet eligibility requirements to apply for Permanent Residency ??

Is getting a File number also Imply that ??

Richa!

Oct 3, 2017
Sorry to bump this old topic. I did not want to open a new topic to follow up on the same matter.

I wanted to clarify that all PR applicants residing in Ontario are eligible regardless of what category they applied for, as long as they receive a written letter from CIC showing their eligibilty as applicants.

I saying this because I was under FSW, yet I got my coverage started retroactively a year before landing. So the assumption that only inland sponsored applicants can apply is wrong.
Hi,

What does Stage One Approval imply? How will i know about this ? I have submitted my Background check & Police verification docs in Aug But have not received any concurrence from them as of yet .

Also, how will i know if CIC has decided of me as being eligible to be an applicant ??

Richa!

Oct 3, 2017
Also, my husband has not got any Confirmation from CIC as a 'Sponsor'. He received a mail from CIC confirming that "his application to Sponsor" has been received & this mail carried the File number of our application.

Will this help in writing to OERC to review our application ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

I am new & have applied for Inland application in June-end & had received my file number for PR. I have also submitted my Background check & Police verification docs. I now hold a Valid Open work permit (however, i don't hold a job offer in hand right now, i am still searching).

However, when i completed my stay of 3 months in Ontario, i was denied an OHIP basis no "Approval in PLace" from IRCC nor any letter from employer.

I read your valued suggestion, & found an AIP coming in 6 months from application submitted..

Can you please throw light on what is AIP ?
This entire thread and using OERC is for OUTLAND PR applicants only. Does not apply for INLAND applicants.

To use your OWP to start 3-months wait for OHIP, you must have started a full time job for minimum 6 months duration with a letter from employer to verify this.

Else you need to wait for AIP = Approval In Principle stage of inland app. I beleive you get some notification from IRCC when you reach this stage (normally near end of total processing), but you can check on the latest INLAND threads to see people's experiences.

us2017

Feb 9, 2017
Vermont, USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
Doc's Request.
28-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-02-2017
File Transfer...
02-03-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
09-01-2017
Bumping this to update folks that it is still true: if you applied OUTLAND and are currently living in Ontario while waiting for PR, you can apply for OHIP.

Exactly how it works may vary. People have varying amounts of luck with the application process - sometimes it's easy but many are first refused and then appeal. Your eligibility date may also differ based on what Service Ontario counts as evidence that you are an AFP (Applicant for Permanent Residence) or have AIP (Approval In Principle - normally an inland term from what I understand).

The steps to take are exactly as outlined at the beginning of this thread. Here's how my process went:

* Applied from US in January 2017
* Received SA in Feb/March 2017
* Moved to Ontario September 2017 (as a regular visitor with plans to extend status if necessary)
* Received PPR January 2018
* Applied for OHIP January 2018

1. I gathered my three required documents: one for proof of address (tenant's insurance policy in my case), one with name and signature (credit card), and one with proof of status. For the latter I took our Sponsorship Approval letter and my PPR letter.

1b. I prefilled the application form at home. Note that if a question doesn't apply they want you to check the "no" box.

2. Go to a PUBLIC Service Ontario. The private ones (like in Canadian Tire) are not able to issue temporary health cards. In Toronto, for example, you can go to the Service Ontario at Bay and College.

3. If there's a reception line, they'll screen you to make sure you have all three documents and what your status is - I said that "I'm an applicant for permanent residency" which is how Service Ontario describes people in our situation.

4. At the Service Ontario desk, they should process your application. It is likely that they will refuse it due to the SA not being the right document. Technically, based on this thread, I believe they want a letter or document from the CIC/IRCC stating that you are eligible to apply for PR and have not been denied. I'm not sure. However, it is possible that the SA letter is enough to prove that. In my case it was - no questions asked. Perhaps the PPR letter helped but I don't remember them looking at it.

5a. If they accept the documents that you provide, they'll take your picture, issue you a health card number, and set your effective date to 90 days after you moved to Ontario (for me, that was December 2017). I'm not sure what happens if you received SA after you arrived in Ontario or if that was less than 90 days ago.

5b. If they don't accept the documents, ask for a refusal letter. They may be surprised by this request but you'll want it so you can appeal. Use the instructions in the thread above to send an appeal. From what I understand they will need you to sign a form so they can inquire with the CIC about your status. Once they get a response from the CIC they will let you know if they think you're eligible and what your effective date would be. It is possible that your AFP/AIP may not have occurred yet - apparently this technically happens close to the PPR date for many outland applicants. But either way, they will let you know, and this will ensure you receive the earliest possible effective date, even if it's only a month earlier than if you applied after officially landing as PR. The appeal process can take several weeks, but hey, you're a PR applicant so you're an expert in patience.

Reactions: SeineToHumber

SeineToHumber

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Could someone post the blank consent form that OERC asks for? It would save us and them time to just submit it up-front.

I was probably doomed, but I failed at convincing the supervisor at ServiceOntario that a passport request must mean we were past the point of being “eligible to apply”. Which I believe to be true.

It would be nice if CIC could issue a statement to the Ontario Ministry of Health that everyone who has received a passport request must have past the “Eligible to Apply for PR” date. Let alone sending out Eligible to Apply paperwork.

lemamita

Feb 1, 2017
Hello, my PR application is in process, Would you please let me know how I can apply for OHIP eligibility?
Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello, my PR application is in process, Would you please let me know how I can apply for OHIP eligibility?
Thank you
If you are applying outland and PR app is in process, then read this thread from page 1 to learn how to apply for OHIP.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Bumping this to update folks that it is still true: if you applied OUTLAND and are currently living in Ontario while waiting for PR, you can apply for OHIP.

Exactly how it works may vary. People have varying amounts of luck with the application process - sometimes it's easy but many are first refused and then appeal. Your eligibility date may also differ based on what Service Ontario counts as evidence that you are an AFP (Applicant for Permanent Residence) or have AIP (Approval In Principle - normally an inland term from what I understand).

The steps to take are exactly as outlined at the beginning of this thread. Here's how my process went:

* Applied from US in January 2017
* Received SA in Feb/March 2017
* Moved to Ontario September 2017 (as a regular visitor with plans to extend status if necessary)
* Received PPR January 2018
* Applied for OHIP January 2018

1. I gathered my three required documents: one for proof of address (tenant's insurance policy in my case), one with name and signature (credit card), and one with proof of status. For the latter I took our Sponsorship Approval letter and my PPR letter.

1b. I prefilled the application form at home. Note that if a question doesn't apply they want you to check the "no" box.

2. Go to a PUBLIC Service Ontario. The private ones (like in Canadian Tire) are not able to issue temporary health cards. In Toronto, for example, you can go to the Service Ontario at Bay and College.

3. If there's a reception line, they'll screen you to make sure you have all three documents and what your status is - I said that "I'm an applicant for permanent residency" which is how Service Ontario describes people in our situation.

4. At the Service Ontario desk, they should process your application. It is likely that they will refuse it due to the SA not being the right document. Technically, based on this thread, I believe they want a letter or document from the CIC/IRCC stating that you are eligible to apply for PR and have not been denied. I'm not sure. However, it is possible that the SA letter is enough to prove that. In my case it was - no questions asked. Perhaps the PPR letter helped but I don't remember them looking at it.

5a. If they accept the documents that you provide, they'll take your picture, issue you a health card number, and set your effective date to 90 days after you moved to Ontario (for me, that was December 2017). I'm not sure what happens if you received SA after you arrived in Ontario or if that was less than 90 days ago.

5b. If they don't accept the documents, ask for a refusal letter. They may be surprised by this request but you'll want it so you can appeal. Use the instructions in the thread above to send an appeal. From what I understand they will need you to sign a form so they can inquire with the CIC about your status. Once they get a response from the CIC they will let you know if they think you're eligible and what your effective date would be. It is possible that your AFP/AIP may not have occurred yet - apparently this technically happens close to the PPR date for many outland applicants. But either way, they will let you know, and this will ensure you receive the earliest possible effective date, even if it's only a month earlier than if you applied after officially landing as PR. The appeal process can take several weeks, but hey, you're a PR applicant so you're an expert in patience.
Thank you for this detailed post. I have been trying to find the answer to a similar question that you touch upon in point 5a) but I am not clear.

Not sure if you get to see this but if someone else knows about this, it would be nice.

So I have been in Ontario since September 2018 as an international student. I recently got my PR (last week) and would like to apply for OHIP.

Does my residence in Ontario since last year count in the 3 month waiting period? Based on your point 5a it seems that they back dated the effective date and so you didn't have to wait for 90 days on your coverage. Does this mean that my time spent in ontario as a resident before I became PR will be counted towards the ohip waiting period. Is my understanding correct?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for this detailed post. I have been trying to find the answer to a similar question that you touch upon in point 5a) but I am not clear.

Not sure if you get to see this but if someone else knows about this, it would be nice.

So I have been in Ontario since September 2018 as an international student. I recently got my PR (last week) and would like to apply for OHIP.

Does my residence in Ontario since last year count in the 3 month waiting period? Based on your point 5a it seems that they back dated the effective date and so you didn't have to wait for 90 days on your coverage. Does this mean that my time spent in ontario as a resident before I became PR will be counted towards the ohip waiting period. Is my understanding correct?
No time as international student wouldn’t count as you 3 month wait period. The person likely had AIP in December. You can apply when you can show you have AIP although may take some steps. Since you didn’t apply at AIP they will use your PR date.