+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5409

Fiore

Nov 10, 2009
Hello everyone,

I am applying for common-law sponsorship and I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I have been reading all the postings and the guide but I wanted to ask, just to check if I understood correctly, if I would need to fill out IMM 5409. My common-law is not my cosigner and I do not have one at all. By what I read I don´t need to fill it out right?

Thank you very much

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some common law partners didn't include it for the same reason and were later on asked to send it.

You can still sign it without your partner being the co-signer. This is often a misunderstanding.
No it is not a requirement but why not include it? It is fairly cheap and very fast to get done.
It can't hurt you in any way and with common law any evidence you have is important.

I too am in a common law relationship and we went ahead and got it done.
It also might come in handy later on down the road.

All in all it is still up to you but I would just go ahead and get it done. I mean like I said it doesn't cost alot and is done very fast.
I say hey why not, it could be one document that helps me not need an interview.
And best of luck by the way.

rachel6992

Star Member
Oct 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 5th 2010
Passport Req..
July 19th 2010
LANDED..........
August 11, 2010
We did it too... normally your bank will notarize for free if you have an account with them. Only took us 5 mins...

Fiore

Nov 10, 2009
Thank you very much for the info! We have been reading all the guides and many postings but we wanted to make sure we understood everything correctly.
:)Thanks again!

Fiore

Nov 10, 2009
Also, when it asks your marital status, either for the sponsor or the sponsored person, what should we tick, Never married (since neither of us have been married before) or Common-law (since we are in a common-law relationship)?
We want to do everything correctly so sometimes something that seems easy it may confuse us even more! ???

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not quite sure so I wouldn't take my word for it but I would just tick never married and then check common law.
Are you currently in Canada?
If so I would try calling CIC.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are common-law, check common-law.

Fiore said:
Also, when it asks your marital status, either for the sponsor or the sponsored person, what should we tick, Never married (since neither of us have been married before) or Common-law (since we are in a common-law relationship)?
We want to do everything correctly so sometimes something that seems easy it may confuse us even more! ???

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We were informed by CIC that we should not include the IM5409 UNLESS one has a co-signer. They stated that one should get a notarized statement based on the IMM5409, i.e. a legal declaration of a common law union, along with notarized letters of support from family/friends but that the IMM5409 was to be used for sponsorship of other family members where the sponsor had a co-signer to meet LICO.

If you are applying as common law partners then you must check the common law box - do not check never married as the application could be returned to you.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
All that IMM 5409 says is that "yes, we are a common-law couple and this is why". If you are in a common-law union, it can't possibly hurt to include it - if CIC doesn't need it, they just won't look at it. So I'd say include it even if it's not necessary. If it's not too much trouble.