+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have a conditional USA green card which is valid for only 2 years . Can I apply for refugee to can

Jamil123

Sep 15, 2017
Hello
I am from Afghanistan.
I am currently a lawful conditional permanent resident in United States. I came to usa in a fiancé visa and i am married but things did not go well between my wife and me and we are separated.
My uncle lives in canada and he is a canadian citizen. I have no one in the USA.
And I can not go to my country too because of alot of stuff and i know if i go to Afghanistan my life is gonna be in danger. I want to join my uncle and live with him .. is there any way or do I have any chances to apply to canada as a refugee ????
Or to immigrate to canada lawfully ???

Thank you

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello
I am from Afghanistan.
I am currently a lawful conditional permanent resident in United States. I came to usa in a fiancé visa and i am married but things did not go well between my wife and me and we are separated.
My uncle lives in canada and he is a canadian citizen. I have no one in the USA.
And I can not go to my country too because of alot of stuff and i know if i go to Afghanistan my life is gonna be in danger. I want to join my uncle and live with him .. is there any way or do I have any chances to apply to canada as a refugee ????

Thank you
as a green card holder, you can go to Canada with an eTA, max 6 month stay.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start-int.asp
there you could contact an immigration lawyer because I don't think you could apply as a refugee, you are lawful USA permanent resident (even conditional)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello
I am from Afghanistan.

Thank you
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5205ETOC.asp
Am I eligible to apply for permanent residence as a Protected Person?
You are eligible to apply if the IRB or IRCC has determined that you are a Protected Person or a Protected Temporary Resident and you are not:
  • a Convention refugee in another country where you could go and live permanently without fear of persecution;
  • a citizen, national or permanent resident of a country, other than the one you left, where you could go and live permanently without fear of persecution; or
  • a permanent resident of Canada.
Since you are a Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) of the US, I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to claim asylum in Canada regardless of having family here. You would need to wait until your green card has expired/been revoked, or voluntarily renounce it first.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The whole point of asylum is that you are in fear for your life and you need somewhere safe to live. You are legally able to live and work in the US and only want to move for family reasons. You can always try to immigrate through economic pathways. Since you have lived in the US legally for a while it would be hard to prove that you are fleeing persecution if you renounce your green card. You could end up not having status in both countries.

Jamil123

Sep 15, 2017
Thank you all
I appreciate you all

But is it possible to just hide my green card and say nothing about it to canada immigration ? Will they find out ????

Reactions: PumpkinPoet

Jamil123

Sep 15, 2017
( Canuck78 )
Can you please guide me a little bit about immigration through economic pathways. how can I apply and how does it works ??

Thank you

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Thank you all
I appreciate you all

But is it possible to just hide my green card and say nothing about it to canada immigration ? Will they find out ????

on your part that's, misrepresentation and believe me ircc and cic will investigate and if they find out you lied to them they can refused you

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thank you all
I appreciate you all

Lying to the CIC is only going to get you barred from Canada. Trust me, the reach of CIC is greater than you think and they have access to all sorts of information.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Canada and US share information
Did you read this? They share immigration information! History, status, refusals, deportation, criminal background......everything!

So of course they will find out, and then you are guilty of fraud in Canada. That's a crime that makes you ineligible to enter Canada and most likely will result in you being barred from the US (loss of green card and deportation).

Never lie to immigration or CBSA/CBP. It's always a bad plan.