+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to take a car from US to Canada

gauravs04

Mar 8, 2009
Can you please guide me through the process of taking a car from US to Canada permanently.The vehicle is registered in US, but now will be used in Canada for ever.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gauravs04 said:
Can you please guide me through the process of taking a car from US to Canada permanently.The vehicle is registered in US, but now will be used in Canada for ever.

Thanks
1.  Exporting to Canada : http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml
2.  Import to Canada: www.riv.ca

PMM

PS where do you buy a car that last forever?

luvcanada

Star Member
Mar 25, 2009
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ! gauravs04,

I talked with the US port of exit personnel to export US registered vehicle so they sent me some forms to fill out. I have to mail or fax these forms along with my title, state register document, US insurance to border services agency 72 hours before your actual departure (exporting) from US. And before exporting your vehicle needs to in US.

I hope this helps.

PMM said:
Hi

gauravs04 said:

Thanks
1. Exporting to Canada : http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml
2. Import to Canada: www.riv.ca

PMM

syedrahman1980

Mar 28, 2009
Dear gauravs04

I have seen some of us want to transfer car etc. from one country to another while immigration. I think it is troublesome in most of the cases. However, it is personal to everybody who wants to do that.

May I ask gauravs04, why do not you sell your car in US and buy another in Canada ? If it is very personal to you need not to answer.

Thanks.

Syed

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
PMM said:
Hi

gauravs04 said:

Thanks
1. Exporting to Canada : http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml

PMM

They are called Volkswagens! I wish!

aajj

Sep 28, 2009
links18 said:

PMM

They are called Volkswagens! I wish!
hello sir, i am a landed immigrant to canada from pakistan. my father lives in US. he brought for me used car model 2004 registered in his own name in US. he left the car with me and went back to US. He has taken non-resident insurance from US in his name and also added my name in the insurance. Now here in Canada I have taken the driver’s license.
My questions are?
1- Can i keep this car with me in my father name and US number plate?
2- If cops stop me somehow, then i have Canadian license, ownership certificate in my father’s name, authority letter to drive his car, insurance card showing joint names.
3- Or i need to transfer this car in my name in Canada. If so, i have declared this car at the Canadian border agency while entering / landing at the airport. Then what do i do next?
Your help is required.

Thanks

aajj

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aajj said:
hello sir, i am a landed immigrant to canada from pakistan. my father lives in US. he brought for me used car model 2004 registered in his own name in US. he left the car with me and went back to US. He has taken non-resident insurance from US in his name and also added my name in the insurance. Now here in Canada I have taken the driver's license.
My questions are?
2- If cops stop me somehow, then i have Canadian license, ownership certificate in my father's name, authority letter to drive his car, insurance card showing joint names.
3- Or i need to transfer this car in my name in Canada. If so, i have declared this car at the Canadian border agency while entering / landing at the airport. Then what do i do next?
Your help is required.

Thanks

1. No, it has to be imported into Canada and exported from the US. See: www.riv.ca and it has to be in your name and you have to get a recall letter from the manufacturer.
2. As a Canadian resident driving a US vehicle, you take the chance that it will be seized.

aajj

marchc

Sep 21, 2012
Hi! Just saw this topic and decided to insert my feedback:

Who ever need a car transporter (car carrier) from USA to Canada i would highly recommend Ways Auto - that is Toronto base car carrier, they are specialize in transporting cars from US to Canada. I got referrals for this company from a friend and those guys answered to all expectations.

laceback

May 26, 2014
gauravs04 said:

Thanks
Be sure you know what taxes are involved when importing a vehicle into Canada... you can try out this import tax calculator for free on importingcars.ca/calculator.php

margocan

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2013 / 28-10-2014 PER
Doc's Request.
16-04-2014 (Personal history, NBI, RPRF)
Med's Request
17-04-2014
Med's Done....
30-04-2014 SLEC / 14-05-2015 Meds sent to CEM / 22-05-2013 ECAS to Med Received
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
28-05-2014 / 05-06-2014 PP received by CEM
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2014 DM on ECAS / 03-07-14 PP w/ VISA Received
LANDED..........
Aug 2014
aajj said:
hello sir, i am a landed immigrant to canada from pakistan. my father lives in US. he brought for me used car model 2004 registered in his own name in US. he left the car with me and went back to US. He has taken non-resident insurance from US in his name and also added my name in the insurance. Now here in Canada I have taken the driver's license.
My questions are?
2- If cops stop me somehow, then i have Canadian license, ownership certificate in my father's name, authority letter to drive his car, insurance card showing joint names.
Your help is required.

Thanks

aajj

Hi,

What happened to the car your father gave you? Were u able to export / import it?

I have the same concern. My father has a spare car in the US and he wants to give it to me here in canada. But i dont know how to do it. Can anyone share their experience? Will it be costly as i need to pay taxes?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
margocan said:
Hi,

What happened to the car your father gave you? Were u able to export / import it?

I have the same concern. My father has a spare car in the US and he wants to give it to me here in canada. But i dont know how to do it. Can anyone share their experience? Will it be costly as i need to pay taxes?
the answer you quoted is from 2010, so any information is outdated. there are a couple of threads on here already that talk about the process. i would suggest starting to read through them to get an idea as to what to expect. there are a lot of steps involved, and it STARTS with exporting from the us. there are also safety modifications that must be done to finalize the import, namely installing daytime running lights, and you need to verify your car does not have any recent recalls.

you can also find information by googling "exporting vehicle from US to Canada" and learning about import requirements on the RIV website.

here is one thread that may be helpful in learning how to get started:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/need-advice-on-rivtransport-canada-issue-t248764.0.html#lastPost

margocan

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2013 / 28-10-2014 PER
Doc's Request.
16-04-2014 (Personal history, NBI, RPRF)
Med's Request
17-04-2014
Med's Done....
30-04-2014 SLEC / 14-05-2015 Meds sent to CEM / 22-05-2013 ECAS to Med Received
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
28-05-2014 / 05-06-2014 PP received by CEM
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2014 DM on ECAS / 03-07-14 PP w/ VISA Received
LANDED..........
Aug 2014
Thanks for the info.

I did found the riv in google last night and started reading. I guess i have to weigh if the taxes and modification cost will be lesser than just buying a used car here. The car is a 2007 mazda 3 so a bit old so i must think about it.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
margocan said:
Thanks for the info.

I did found the riv in google last night and started reading. I guess i have to weigh if the taxes and modification cost will be lesser than just buying a used car here. The car is a 2007 mazda 3 so a bit old so i must think about it.
the daytime running lights cost $150 CA. i got it done at the time of RIV inspection. i can't help with the taxes, as i'm recently landed and am exempt. for a lot of people, it makes more sense to just sell the car and get something up here so they don't have to deal with the hassle. it's not that the process is expensive, it's just time consuming and involves A LOT of coordination!