+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to send PR card outside canada?

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi all.

I am still waiting for our first PR card ,we just landed 2 weeks ago,and the current processing time is 63 days which is very long and we have to go back to wrap things up in our home country then come back for good,my question is...how can a friend send us our PR cards to our home country as its not allowed to send those cards ?....i mean wont the cashier at the courier ask u to declare the items to be sent,and check them out or it will only be inside the envelop?

regards

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
Never heard this before - CIC won't send PR cards abroad, but who says a friend can't send it to you?

Just tell the courier that the contents of the package are just documents - which is what they are.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
hobbes said:
Never heard this before - CIC won't send PR cards abroad, but who says a friend can't send it to you?

Just tell the courier that the contents of the package are just documents - which is what they are.
I didnt say CIC, will send PR cards to applicants outside Canada!!!!....i was asking since its not allowed to send a federal personal identity outside canada ,how my friend can send it through courier?...wont they open the evelop to check it up...???...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yorker13 said:
I didnt say CIC, will send PR cards to applicants outside Canada!!!!....i was asking since its not allowed to send a federal personal identity outside canada ,how my friend can send it through courier?...wont they open the evelop to check it up...???...
It's just that CIC would only send the initial PR card to a Canadian address. It is however legal to send or courier any official or non-official personal identification to any destination from Canada.

Chinapeach

Dec 20, 2012
That was our plan too, didn't work out cause we had to go pick up the card ( insert huge issue that happened after resulting in loss of PR)

As far as i know, it will be stopped in customs. You cannot mail those card out. Husband and I suspected there is maybe a chip inside them

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are many people on this forum who have successfully had their family or friends mail their PR card outside of Canada. If you ran into issues - you're unfortunately the exception rather than the rule.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Chinapeach said:
That was our plan too, didn't work out cause we had to go pick up the card ( insert huge issue that happened after resulting in loss of PR)

As far as i know, it will be stopped in customs. You cannot mail those card out. Husband and I suspected there is maybe a chip inside them
can u explain in more details plz?....what u mean by u suspected there is a chip inside of the Cards?...did the customs physically detect the card in the courier mail and confiscated them?.........and why did u go and pick it up?...why didnt u receive it by post?....

I hope u can explain in details as its very important...it can change a lot of my plans as i am leaving in a week.!!!

Chinapeach

Dec 20, 2012
we didn't try it

My husband was called in to pick up the card at the office and provide some info. ( we were hoping it was as simple as mailing it or me flying over to bring it or meet him in another country to give it to him)

So at that point he applied for a travel doc from his home country to come back to Canada to get the card.
The guy at that office was a jack ass and refused him because he didn't have a health card. ( Seriously)
So his Pr was terminated. In hind sight he should have travelled to the US crossed the land boarded and picked up his card that way when his 3 kids and I could have been with him.
He is now in Canada on a passport from another country that he bought ( legally) that doesn't require a visa to enter Canada. We received a letter 4 days ago saying his card was still waiting for him to be picked up. We tried to pick it up since he was here. The guy was all ready to give it to him said he met all the obligations, but checked one last thing before handing it over and told us he couldn't overturn the decision made in China. HUbby needs to reapply, because an appeal would have had to have been done within 30 days of the refusal letter. We didn't want to appeal because we were afraid during that time he wouldn't be able to even visit us and given we have 3 children and love each other ,it's kinds important to see each other.
Has for not being able to send the card. Maybe i know nothing , i remember asking about that and the lady on the phone gave me the impression they will find it in the mail and take it away if you try. Perhaps it was just a scare tactic, if people have sent them without issues.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many people have mailed them without issues or sent via courier and as far as I know, there is no law against doing it. However, CIC will not mail a PR card outside Canada for you. They will either have you pick it up or mail it to a Canadian address. What happens to it after that is your business.

Your husband should have appealed for the travel document if he met the residency requirements.

tareqali

Jun 7, 2013
Hi, I am very new, but a year ago I traveled to the US on some business, and I forgot my PR at home. My wife sent it to me by courier, there was some little delay, but I received the PR with no issues.

I hope that helps.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
He is now in Canada on a passport from another country that he bought ( legally) that doesn't require a visa to enter Canada.
How does that work? Does he have dual citizenship?

Chinapeach

Dec 20, 2012
Leon said:
Many people have mailed them without issues or sent via courier and as far as I know, there is no law against doing it. However, CIC will not mail a PR card outside Canada for you. They will either have you pick it up or mail it to a Canadian address. What happens to it after that is your business.

Your husband should have appealed for the travel document if he met the residency requirements.
well the first guy told us he didn't meet the requirements.. and we just didn't know what to do. then the guy at the CIC office in Toronto told us he met the requirements but this is a 5 month delay between both guys too late to appeal now when we know we have a case, also didn't want to risk not seeing each other for a year .. it's way too long for the kids. All this craziness is just way to hard to navigate honestly, I don't understand half of what happens or why.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chinapeach said:
we just didn't know what to do.
A poster in this forum already suggested you to appeal for the TD refusal within 60 days:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/what-to-do-next-renewal-denied-t128906.0.html;msg1964845#msg1964845

Who knows if your husband got the US visa on Jan 10, flew and entered Canada via the US within a certain period, he might be able to pick up his PR card. Anyways, it's too late.