How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
February2016 said:
Driving Experience: More Than 2 Years in the Last 3 Years

Exchange your licence for a full Ontario Class G licence.
No road test required.
Present a valid driver’s licence, or one that has been expired for less than one year.
If indicated in the list above, provide a driver’s history or abstract to confirm the status of your licence and length of driving experience.

Is this some changes? Are they saying we can get full G right away?
I found this here: https://www.drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html under the heading
Licence Exchanges – Cars, Small Trucks, and Vans
Ontario has licence exchange agreements with certain provinces, states, and countries. A licence exchange agreement means that a jurisdiction’s licensing processes are secure, similar to Ontario's, and in alignment with Ontario's road safety goals.
If you scroll down a bit, you see this:

If you do not see your country of origin in this list, you must apply for a new driver’s licence and complete all the relevant steps of the graduated licensing program applicable to your circumstances. You may get credit for previous driving experience.
Clicking on that takes you to this page: https://www.drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html where it says about experience:

24 Months or More

You can take the Class G road test immediately. However, some people optionally choose to take the Class G2 road test as well to gain testing experience.

If you are unsuccessful with the Class G road test, you must take the Class G2 road test and then the Class G road test again.
So according to that, it doesn't look like you can escape the test but you were always able to get G right away if you have more than 2 years experience and pass the advanced road test.

Manju Sagwal

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Friends,

Can somebody share their experience with acceptance of Indian Driving License and the driving license extract in Ontario (Brampton).

I have a paper based driving license issued in Haryana (and not a smart card based Driving License).

I am a little worried because, I have got feedback from some of the friends that the paper based license is not accepted and they had to go from scratch to apply for G1 license. However, if somebody is carrying the smart card based driving license from India that gets accepted in Ontario.

Any inputs on this regard will be really helpful.

Thanks!

moga_PB29

Jun 12, 2015
Brampton,Ontario
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
26 November 2014
Nomination.....
March 2015
AOR Received.
AOR 1: Feb 2015 , AOR 2: April 2015
Med's Request
May 2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2014 and May 2016
Interview........
approved/waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 2016
LANDED..........
August 2016
Any one from north India , who recently immigrated to Brampton, I have passed g1 written exam, and will appear for g2 road exam in next 15 days. Is there benefit , advantage for attending full driving course from Ontario ministry approved and BDE approved driving schools? I heard that ministry approved schools give certificate of full course training that can reduce in premium insurance by 30 percent.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
i'm not sure about 30 percent. there is a benefit. Best thing is that you can call a couple of insurance companies and just as about the premium and say that you already have your full license and then ask the rates with and without the certificate.

I live in guelph so mine is way lower than when i was in brampton.

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
14-11-2014 (Med Rcvd: 21Feb)
Interview........
Decision Made : 20-3-2015
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
Manju Sagwal said:
Hi Friends,

Can somebody share their experience with acceptance of Indian Driving License and the driving license extract in Ontario (Brampton).

I have a paper based driving license issued in Haryana (and not a smart card based Driving License).

I am a little worried because, I have got feedback from some of the friends that the paper based license is not accepted and they had to go from scratch to apply for G1 license. However, if somebody is carrying the smart card based driving license from India that gets accepted in Ontario.

Any inputs on this regard will be really helpful.

Thanks!

Can someone pls answer this query ? I too have the same doubts.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Hey,

I got mine in 2010 and i did have the smart card DL from chandigargh. But i also got a certificate from the transport authority stating that my DL was valid and i had been driving 2 and 4 wheelers from x number of years. Best thing would be that you get that certificate made from your district transport authority somehow.

The paper based might not work as far as i know.

Martial

Nov 28, 2015
Dear seniors
I have had my australian licebde but its 5 years expired now fue to not staying in Australia any more. Does this license help me to get ontario license any way ??
TIA

praveensrao

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
10-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
24-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
30-08-2016
LANDED..........
24-12-2016
Hello guys.

Had a question. Please help me out. My name is PRAVEEN (first name) SUBBA RAO (last name).
I have a > 2 years Indian driving experience with Drivers License.
Recently few days back, I applied for IDP and genuineness letter and got both of them from the local RTO in Bangalore, India.
The name in both these documents matches exactly with the one in my passport with my last name expanded as SUBBA RAO, whereas the one in my Drivers License has it as just "PRAVEEN S" without my last name expanded. In India (especially in my state), as with many other names, the last name is merely my father's first name.

Will it be a problem while applying for the G2 directly?

aditya127

Dec 17, 2015
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2016
Guys,

I've a Indian driving license effective since 2003 (License card in English).
The same license was valid and accepted in UK for one year, when I stayed there.

Will this smart card license be sufficient as temporary license for initial months? Can I apply for G2 on the basis of same?

Do I still need to get letter stating 24months experience, even though my smart card says date of issue to be 2003, which means I'm driving since then.

Regards,
Aditya

aditya127

Dec 17, 2015
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2016
praveensrao said:
Hello guys.

Had a question. Please help me out. My name is PRAVEEN (first name) SUBBA RAO (last name).
I have a > 2 years Indian driving experience with Drivers License.
Recently few days back, I applied for IDP and genuineness letter and got both of them from the local RTO in Bangalore, India.
The name in both these documents matches exactly with the one in my passport with my last name expanded as SUBBA RAO, whereas the one in my Drivers License has it as just "PRAVEEN S" without my last name expanded. In India (especially in my state), as with many other names, the last name is merely my father's first name.

Will it be a problem while applying for the G2 directly?
Hi,

I believe you should be fine as IDP and authorisation letter are the ones which canadian authority demands. IDP supersedes your local license.

I also have a question.
I managed to get Driver's License Extract from my authority. They say this is the only authorization letter that they provide.
Will it be sufficient enough for G2 test?

Regards,
Aditya

Js45

Aug 24, 2016
If you are illegal immigrant in Ontario Canada but still you have a passport (from backhome) . Will you still able to apply driving licence?

hamayun

Nov 3, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2017, Case file CIC
Doc's Request.
25-April-2017
Nomination.....
23 November 2016
AOR Received.
11-March-2017
IELTS Request
16-07-2013 submit with file online
File Transfer...
13-March-2017
Med's Request
25-April-2016
Med's Done....
12-May-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
05 July 2017
VISA ISSUED...
25 July 2017
LANDED..........
1 September 2017
I have UAE driving licence its convert able in Manitoba ?