+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to find temporary accommodation in Ottawa?

naina03

Oct 3, 2016
Hi,

I and my husband are looking for temporary accommodation in Ottawa(say for 10-15 days) before landing there. And then we can check out apartments for rent.

Any websites? Or any kind of pointers on this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Airbnb, there you should find something. good luck.

NAWRAS

Mar 2, 2017
Hi,

I and my husband are looking for temporary accommodation in Ottawa(say for 10-15 days) before landing there. And then we can check out apartments for rent.

Any websites? Or any kind of pointers on this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
When is he going to come ?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi All,
I am planning to move to Ottawa in September 2017. I will be looking for rental apartments. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods in Ottawa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are coming for school I would suggest either something in walking distance or something on the transit route where you will only have to take one bus.

Reactions: yodheydhara

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
If you are coming for school I would suggest either something in walking distance or something on the transit route where you will only have to take one bus.
I am coming there and will be looking for a job if the engagement with my current employer does not work out.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I wouldn't rent anything until you are sure you get a job in Ottawa. I would try to stick to the area somewhat surrounding your potential workplace. Ottawa is not a huge city but it will take you quite a while to get across the city if you live far away from your work. If you don't have a car I would recommend being on one of the rapid transit routes.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
I wouldn't rent anything until you are sure you get a job in Ottawa. I would try to stick to the area somewhat surrounding your potential workplace. Ottawa is not a huge city but it will take you quite a while to get across the city if you live far away from your work. If you don't have a car I would recommend being on one of the rapid transit routes.
I am planning to export my car from the US and import it to Canada. So, I will have a car. Yes, the area and the type of apartment I rent would largely depend on whether I have a job in hand or not when I land in Canada. With that said, do you know some localities or areas that would be good for newcomers from a price as well as lifestyle point of view?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Had to laugh a little bit. Ottawa isn't that big or exciting. The more pedestrian area like the Market, Sandy Hill, the Glebe, Westboro will be more expensive. I would try to avoid areas with a concentration of public housing because unfortunately they often are associated with an increase in violence. I would Google where violent acts have been committed to doublecheck. Ottawa is a pretty quiet and safe city. Hard to recommend an area given you don't know where you will be employed. My recommendation is not to go too far out to the suburbs unless you think you will work there because it will take a long time to get across the city. You will always be able to move in one year once your lease is up and you are more established.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Had to laugh a little bit. Ottawa isn't that big or exciting. The more pedestrian area like the Market, Sandy Hill, the Glebe, Westboro will be more expensive. I would try to avoid areas with a concentration of public housing because unfortunately they often are associated with an increase in violence. I would Google where violent acts have been committed to doublecheck. Ottawa is a pretty quiet and safe city. Hard to recommend an area given you don't know where you will be employed. My recommendation is not to go too far out to the suburbs unless you think you will work there because it will take a long time to get across the city. You will always be able to move in one year once your lease is up and you are more established.
Agreed. :)
I understand my question is a bit too vague.. But yes, I will be looking into Google as well for the areas in Ottawa. I was looking for more of first hand experience in areas, but I understand it is difficult to pin point and say "hey this is the area where you will find cheaper accommodation and is a decent neighborhood at the same time..".

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would probably avoid lowest rents possible and go one step up. Ottawa has pockets of some of the nicest areas right next to some areas in transition. Hopefully you will have a couple of days to look before deciding. Luckily there is availability in Ottawa so you will find it much easier to rent something immediately rather than in Toronto or Vancouver especially without a job. Not having a job may be a stumbling block for some landlords and be prepared for a credit check.

Grand

Aug 9, 2017
Agreed. :)
I understand my question is a bit too vague.. But yes, I will be looking into Google as well for the areas in Ottawa. I was looking for more of first hand experience in areas, but I understand it is difficult to pin point and say "hey this is the area where you will find cheaper accommodation and is a decent neighborhood at the same time..".
Hello
Could you please share your experience in finding rent in Ottawa? I am planning to move soon and would appreciate any advice. Was it hard to find rent? Do landlords usually ask for credit check? Did you use a real estate agency?
Thanks.