+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter in Canada with expired PR card and how to renew it?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: PR expired as minor and its revival- Guidelines.

aditya khosla said:
I have a very peculiar case regarding my PR. I was granted PR in August 2004 as minor along with my Father which in 2009 expired. I was at that time 14 yrs of age. I stayed in Canada for about 01 month and after which I returned back to India. I was at that time a secondary school student who was entirely dependent on my father's decision as a minor . Since my father was a Senior Federal Government officer he was not able to make up for returning :( back to Canada for settlement due to his own reasons. I had to abide to his decision under Indian circumstances which is very harsh & common. Now I have made up my mind firmly to return back to Canada and settle. I have finished Graduation in Engineering (Mechanical) from a high ranking Institute with good CGPA. Is there any way to revive my PR or I should reapply again? I would like to keep second one as last option. Please guide and help.
You can try applying for a PR travel document, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp based on that you were removed from Canada as a minor by your parent and now want to return first chance after becoming an adult. If you get it, go to Canada, stay for at least 2 years and your PR status will be back in good standing. However, it is possible that you will be refused for example based on that you only stayed in Canada for a month and therefore don't have any ties to Canada or that you are not returning first chance.

However, you need to apply for a travel document anyway because your old PR is still active and you can not apply again unless you lose it. Therefore, apply for the travel document, if you get it, you can return, if you don't get it, they revoke your old PR and you can apply again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005

Hi

aditya khosla said:
I have a very peculiar case regarding my PR. I was granted PR in August 2004 as minor along with my Father which in 2009 expired. I was at that time 14 yrs of age. I stayed in Canada for about 01 month and after which I returned back to India. I was at that time a secondary school student who was entirely dependent on my father's decision as a minor . Since my father was a Senior Federal Government officer he was not able to make up for returning :( back to Canada for settlement due to his own reasons. I had to abide to his decision under Indian circumstances which is very harsh & common. Now I have made up my mind firmly to return back to Canada and settle. I have finished Graduation in Engineering (Mechanical) from a high ranking Institute with good CGPA. Is there any way to revive my PR or I should reapply again? I would like to keep second one as last option. Please guide and help.
As you are 23, you are probably too late to for Humanitarian and Compassionate consideration by about 5 years. For any chance under H&C you should have returned to Canada at the first opportunity, i.e. 18/19 when you are considered an adult.

aditya khosla

Aug 21, 2013

Thanks for your reply. As observed it was too early at the age of 18/19 yrs to be economically independent from your parents in country like India, I was not able to bear the expenses for moving to Canada and then supporting myself after arrival. Now i am in a position to do so kindly suggest and help. I am keen to move to Canada earliest possible.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

aditya khosla said:
Thanks for your reply. As observed it was too early at the age of 18/19 yrs to be economically independent from your parents in country like India, I was not able to bear the expenses for moving to Canada and then supporting myself after arrival. Now i am in a position to do so kindly suggest and help. I am keen to move to Canada earliest possible.
Like I said in my reply, if you want to apply for PR again from scratch you have to apply for a travel document anyway to get the verification that you have lost your old PR. Because you have to apply anyway, you should put the grounds that you were removed from Canada as a minor. It doesn't cost anything to try. If you are approved, you can go to Canada, if you are denied, you lose your old PR and can start working on how to qualify to apply for a new one.

aditya khosla

Aug 21, 2013

aditya khosla said:

sgaur

Mar 24, 2012
Hi Aditya

My son is in same situation like you. He is 17 year old now and got admission in University of Waterloo. He was just 8 years old when he landed and left Canada after 1 and half month. I may opt the route suggested by the members here. I want to inquire if you have opted this route and have they gave PR documents to enter in Canada.

Thanks

Sanjay