+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter Canadian retail industry?

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Hi,

I'm a fairly young immigrant (22 years old) with less than five years of job experience on my resume. I'm quite sure I won't immediately get the same job I had back in the Philippines so I was just wondering if anybody working in retail has any tips for landing a job?

I have zero retail experience and I really just want a job that pays well and is semi-related to my field (I'm in marketing and advertising). How was your first Canadian job experience?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FYI - Retail doesn't really pay that well.

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
I know but I need to start somewhere :( I'm 22 and I just want a starting job that can help me go back to school. I moved here alone so I need a survival job to keep me afloat

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
My line of work back home was marketing and advertising - I was a writer/copywriter. I've had little success finding a job within that field, but I guess it's because I haven't been looking long enough.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
I have no experience in retail, but I suggest you walk into your preferred store and talk to any of the associates. They'd know if hiring is going on, possibly introduce you to the store manager. Jobs of that type need lots of initiative on your part. If your english is good with a not so heavy accent, you could explore customer service rep jobs as well. If you still want to get into marketing and advertising, jump on job boards and look. I've seen a lot of postings. Personally, my first interview invitation was from a marketing agency, and this was just a few days after landing. I didn't take the offer though coz they misrepresented the work - the real work was not the type of thing I'm good at, and further research of the firm showed it did that a lot - many complaints about it on glassdoor. So, put your game face on and go store to store, and while at it explore opportunities on job boards and network.

All the best

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
I have no experience in retail, but I suggest you walk into your preferred store and talk to any of the associates. They'd know if hiring is going on, possibly introduce you to the store manager. Jobs of that type need lots of initiative on your part. If your english is good with a not so heavy accent, you could explore customer service rep jobs as well. If you still want to get into marketing and advertising, jump on job boards and look. I've seen a lot of postings. Personally, my first interview invitation was from a marketing agency, and this was just a few days after landing. I didn't take the offer though coz they misrepresented the work - the real work was not the type of thing I'm good at, and further research of the firm showed it did that a lot - many complaints about it on glassdoor. So, put your game face on and go store to store, and while at it explore opportunities on job boards and network.

All the best
Thanks! I've been officially job hunting for about a week now and so far things are going okay. I don't have an accent at all and pretty much sound like I've lived here forever so I guess that does help. I've been in and out of interviews all week and hopefully something turns up.

Funny you mentioned that marketing job though! I also got a call from a company downtown claiming to have an "Entry Level Marketing" position but really you just scam people off buying a credit card. Complete waste of an afternoon!

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Funny you mentioned that marketing job though! I also got a call from a company downtown claiming to have an "Entry Level Marketing" position but really you just scam people off buying a credit card. Complete waste of an afternoon!
Yap! That must be the company. When you mention credit cards... I wouldn't call it a scam. I'd say they're dishonest and unprofessional. They post job ads promising management positions, free training for the positions etc., which creates a totally different impression from the reality. When applicants get there for interviews (which seem easy to get), they're told they're going to do door-to-door credit card marketing. Why not just say it in the job ad?!

Anyways, best of luck in your search. Stay sharp!

All the best

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
Thanks! I've been officially job hunting for about a week now and so far things are going okay. I don't have an accent at all and pretty much sound like I've lived here forever so I guess that does help. I've been in and out of interviews all week and hopefully something turns up.

Our firm helps you to build career in Financial industry. Requires no prior financial experience. We do not offer jobs but a career that you can use to build your own business or even brokerage. I do understand that at this time you are looking for survival job, but if time permits, take a 1 hour free workshop in major city. PM me for further details.