+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to calculate transit countries for Citizenship Calculator?

ENGLISHFORCITIZENSHIP

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Hi,

Just wondering how to calculate countries that I was in transit? I didnt go out but stayed inside the airport. In that case, should I only mention the departure and the destination only countries?

Seniors advise pls.

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
Hi,

Just wondering how to calculate countries that I was in transit? I didnt go out but stayed inside the airport. In that case, should I only mention the departure and the destination only countries?

Seniors advise pls.
Only a destination/departure country puts arrival/exit stamp on your passport ? Isn't ? so don't confuse yourself with transit country..

Sammy84

Aug 26, 2017
Only a destination/departure country puts arrival/exit stamp on your passport ? Isn't ? so don't confuse yourself with transit country..
I have a similar question. And yes, while transiting though USA to another country, USA does put arrival stamp. The FOIA records show entry exit records.

Do we need to put the final destination on the form or USA port in this case?

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
I have a similar question. And yes, while transiting though USA to another country, USA does put arrival stamp. The FOIA records show entry exit records.

Do we need to put the final destination on the form or USA port in this case?
In my humble opinion if you have not spent a night in transiting country you don't need to mention it. This is just my opinion and I can be wrong. I assume you are asking this question to fill residence calculator. Aren't you ? Thank you

chief3rd

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2012
Doc's Request.
25-10-2012
AOR Received.
26-07-2012
Med's Request
29-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
CPR 31-05-2013
LANDED..........
09-06-2013
If i recall correctly the instructions when using the physical presence calculator says, if there are other countries involved in the trip you can place the names of these countries in the Reason section. This is what I have done for my trips where I was in-transit

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi,

Seniors advise pls.
Transit does not count as there is no record of you actually entering the country. You were in international territory section of the airport per say. Only those that actually when through customs will they count.

You seems to be asking a lot of questions about 3/5 rule. Since it will come into force this fall, and you won't qualify until Jan 2018, why don't you wait until the 3/5 rule is implemented first. This way you got a couple of months to get lots of information to go on until you qualify. Right now it is all speculation on how the pre-pr days are calculated under 3/5 rule. Will they only allow 2 years prior to landing only or will they allow 3 years of pre-PR days to max 1 year credit? We really don't know until 3/5 rule actually come into effect.

Canehdian Girl

Star Member
Aug 26, 2017
Hi,

Seniors advise pls.
Another thing to be careful about when filling the online calculator if you have more than one destination in your trip is to put it all as one block. It matters!!
Ex: If you left Canada on Oct6, 2014 then went to France and stayed there from Oct 6-8, then went to Istanbul from Oct- 8-12, then came back to Canada.
DO NOT put 2 trips!! What matters for them is the day you left Canada and the day you arrived to Canada. HOWEVER, mention in the reasons section that you had multiple destinations in your trip. Or alternatively you can use the form (CIT0407) for manual calculations and write in the destination space France, Istanbul.
The reason behind that (as CIC explained this to me in their letter) is that the online calculator is designed in a way to calculate the day you left Canada and the day you arrived while counting you as IN Canada for both of those days.
Good luck

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Although transit countries may stamp your passport, I would enter the first destination you were staying at. For example, if you traveled to Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic in one trip and in that order, I would put Hungary in the destination field. I would not mind about typing the transit countries or the other countries, even if those countries are the ones that stamped your passport - the reason field is just for that, the reason. You will have a chance to explain all of the details about your trips at your interview. Just make sure you prepare a list of your trips and how they correlate to the stamps in your passport, and bring it to your interview.