+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How Many American Citizens Moving to Canada?

calvin1998

Jun 28, 2007
In the US the topic is always about IMMigration, but never EMIgration. I am very interested if knowing how many other US citizens are contemplating a move to Canada. I have heard there are many.

scottz

Jul 9, 2007
I would bet quite a few, I'm from Australia, and I am thinking seriously about it, if I were us citizen I'd have moved already I think... ha ha..

scottz

Jul 9, 2007
BTW as an example, Australia has 23 million citizens and almost 2million expats... I bet the ratio is much lower for the USA, but Id assume at least 5 to 10 million US citizens are living abroad....

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
In reality, more Canadians move to the US than the other way around. The post-Bush reelection exodus of progressive minded Americans to Canada never quite materialized, probably because many of them did not understand the long term process that is involved--and the fact that you have to keep about $10,000 in the bank for about 18 months (not easy for struggling young people to do--even in the US). The Conservative Party vicotry in the last federal election probably had something to do with it also.

gilipsie

Star Member
Jul 11, 2007
Just curious but why would you think Americans would come to Canada? Is it to leave the rising crime numbers? Or the war? Or something else. I actually never thought about Americans moving to Canada.

2moms2bc

Star Member
May 1, 2005
Saint Paul, MN
I can't give you a statistic, but I can tell you that, in the past six months, I've been in touch with over 20 couples who have moved since 2004 or are still in the US, but awaiting their PR cards. In fact, I'm conducting research on US citizens who are moving to Canada. I think that CIC has figures on country of origin, but I don't know that they distinguish between, e.g., someone in the US on an H1B who applies v. a US citizen who applies. I'm also fairly certain that, even if they do make such a distinction, they don't distinguish between a US citizen who is motivated by politics/values and someone who gets the right job offer and for whom politics is a non-issue. So, no hard figures, but anecdotally - people are making the move!

As for why - the folks I'm interviewing fall into roughly three groups: 1) values, 2) family recognition, and 3) bi-national couples who can't stay together unless they leave the US. As for the Conservative Party in Canada - they're moderates by the (new) US standard! ;-)

http://www.us2ca.blogspot.com

JDHagen

Jul 24, 2007
My husband and I are new to this forum and this is our first post. We are Americans, both born and raised here. I am 49 and my husband is 50.

My husband works as a Journeyman Painter and I am disabled. Soon his employer will drop my health insurance coverage because they don't want to pay for it. In the U.S. that means you lose your money, your home and just about everything. You cannot earn enough money as a skilled laborer to pay for medication and health care and the hospitals can refuse to treat you.

We are thinking the health care situation in Canada would be immensely helpful even if we had a lower income. At this point, I admit to feeling very angry and sad about our situation, but hopefully. if emmigration to Canada becomes a reality for us things will be better.

Jana

calvin1998

Jun 28, 2007
JDHagen said:
My husband and I are new to this forum and this is our first post. We are Americans, both born and raised here. I am 49 and my husband is 50.

My husband works as a Journeyman Painter and I am disabled. Soon his employer will drop my health insurance coverage because they don't want to pay for it. In the U.S. that means you lose your money, your home and just about everything. You cannot earn enough money as a skilled laborer to pay for medication and health care and the hospitals can refuse to treat you.

We are thinking the health care situation in Canada would be immensely helpful even if we had a lower income. At this point, I admit to feeling very angry and sad about our situation, but hopefully. if emmigration to Canada becomes a reality for us things will be better.

Jana
I agree. You must take care of yourself as the government will not take care of you here.

kappal_tero_deekra

Jul 12, 2007
I'll say. Do take care of yourself. I am surprised not more people are leaving the US of A. All these wars, bad politics, botched up immigration rules, bad deficits, etc. Makes many to wince!

2moms2bc

Star Member
May 1, 2005
Saint Paul, MN
Re: 1) values, 2) family recognition, and 3) bi-national couples who can't stay together unless they leave the US, thaiguy wrote: "My partner and I fall into all of those categories."

Yes, most GLBT people are in at least two, if not three. In the interviews I'm asking folks which is the *most* central reason. Most bi-national couples, not surprisingly, say #3. But, some GLBT couples who don't face that issue indicate 1 OR 2. That is, for some "family recognition" isn't a motivator. For others, values matter but family recognition comes first.

BTW, if you're interested in participating, you can get info at www.us2ca.blogspot.com. And, of course, this goes to any other US citizen or partner of US citizen couples (e.g., JD Hagen) as well!

Cheers!

calvin1998

Jun 28, 2007
2moms2bc said:
Re: 1) values, 2) family recognition, and 3) bi-national couples who can't stay together unless they leave the US, thaiguy wrote: "My partner and I fall into all of those categories."

Yes, most GLBT people are in at least two, if not three. In the interviews I'm asking folks which is the *most* central reason. Most bi-national couples, not surprisingly, say #3. But, some GLBT couples who don't face that issue indicate 1 OR 2. That is, for some "family recognition" isn't a motivator. For others, values matter but family recognition comes first.

BTW, if you're interested in participating, you can get info at www.us2ca.blogspot.com. And, of course, this goes to any other US citizen or partner of US citizen couples (e.g., JD Hagen) as well!

Cheers!
That is the same for us. My partner is out of status. But even so we wanted to go to Canada even if he was not. Increasingly we feel like as if we are on the Titanic before the iceberg.

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
We did-- US to Canada that is-- first because we love Canada (my family is originally from PEI as well.). But very much also because of arrogant BS attitude of America towards the rest of the world, imperialist government policies, callous attitudes towards the poor and the working classes, denial of a piece of the healthcare pie to so many, and because I just got tired of beating my head against the wall after 30-some years as a Quaker peace activist in a warmongering country. How's that?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
craig53 said:
.. because I just got tired of beating my head against the wall after 30-some years as a Quaker peace activist in a warmongering country. How's that?
Capital interests have taken over our governement. The increase in war, increase in litigation, increase in poverty, increase in healthcare costs, decline in social security, decline in our environment, etc. etc. are just symptoms of the fact that our government has been compromised. It's very sad. It's not the America I was taught about in school.