+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can a permanent resident stay out side the country

Sokol12345

May 6, 2017
PR card and divorce

Hi. My question is about PR card.
I was married and I got PR card but after couple month after I received it we got divorced and I'm wondering if I can keep my PR in Canada without being married on Canadian citizen?
Thank you

Jeksis

Mar 5, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa / New York
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2017
Doc's Request.
24-08-2017
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2017
IELTS Request
24-08-2017
Med's Done....
26-07-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
ok I found it from CIC, https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application. Please note that you cannot meet the residence requirements for citizenship without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.

When calculating your time in Canada:

only the four (4) years preceding the date of your application are taken into account;
each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day;
each day you lived in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;
time spent serving a sentence for an offence in Canada (e.g. prison, penitentiary, jail, reformatory, conditional sentence, probation and/or parole) cannot be counted toward residence - there are some exceptions to this rule;
absences from Canada may have an impact on your residence. Only a citizenship judge can determine if you meet the residence requirements with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence.
How is time spent in US after becoming a permanent resident counted towards citizenship?

sheikh.nir

Jul 20, 2018
Hi,
I am in a position so that I need to move to Canada in 5 months to maintain 2 years stay out of 5 years. But I have some reason ( which I think valid) so that I will not be able to go there at least until a year from now. Anyone knows, what should I do in this respect? Like, if I can apply for the extension of the condition.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi,
I am in a position so that I need to move to Canada in 5 months to maintain 2 years stay out of 5 years. But I have some reason ( which I think valid) so that I will not be able to go there at least until a year from now. Anyone knows, what should I do in this respect? Like, if I can apply for the extension of the condition.
There is no extension. Either you meet the RO of 3 out of every rolling 5 years requirement, or you don't.

rjamesbon007

Aug 1, 2018
Hi. Good day everyone.

I would like to ask if someone have the same dilemma as mine now. My parents are Canadian PR Visa Holder since october 2014, but received their cards January 2015. They stayed in Canada for roughly 4months only. They came back to the Philippines. Since then, they havent touched canadian grounds. They are planning to travel now to canada for a possibility to ask for a PR extension, are they eligible? or are they allowed to travel to canada holding the PR card only this september 2018? Thanks for the response in advance everyone. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. Good day everyone.

I would like to ask if someone have the same dilemma as mine now. My parents are Canadian PR Visa Holder since october 2014, but received their cards January 2015. They stayed in Canada for roughly 4months only. They came back to the Philippines. Since then, they havent touched canadian grounds. They are planning to travel now to canada for a possibility to ask for a PR extension, are they eligible? or are they allowed to travel to canada holding the PR card only this september 2018? Thanks for the response in advance everyone. :)
No - it's not possible to ask for an extension. To keep their PR status they must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years. If they have failed to do this, it's quite possible they may be reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement - in which case IRCC will kick off a process to revoke their PR status.

EDIT: If they are able to re-enter Canada without being reported, they will need to stay for 2 years without leaving before they will be able to renew their PR cards.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi. Good day everyone.

The expiry date on the PR card means nothing. The landing date is what is important so they currently don't meet the RO.

luthucam

Nov 1, 2014
Hello Friends,
I received my PR on 3rd August 2016 and i left the country on 3rd oct 2016. I will be returning on July 31st 2017.I have my PR card. I wanted to know is ts okay if i am returning within July. Or will there be an issue. I just saw on my CIC profile that my COPR and counterfoil has expired.
hi Friend,
could you update me whether you had any challenge upon returning to Canada in reality? cos i am having the same situation as you now. i saw some reply saying it's ok, but would be good to know in reality. Thank you.

GodSend

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hi. Good day everyone.

Sucks to be them. Why bother getting the PR card in the first place. Is it time to take care of some of that sweet sweet free health care...?