+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How early can I apply for work permit extension?

aakad_bakad

Star Member
Aug 15, 2013
Hi,

I have completed a Master's degree from Quebec University. This is a 2 year program hence I was eligible for a 3 year work permit. But since my passport was expiring before three years of my application for PGWP I have received a PGWP which is valid for 2 years and 2 months. My PGWP expiries in June 2018.

Now I have renewed my Passport and I know that I can now apply for PGWP extension. My question is can I apply for PGWP extension right now if my current PGWP is expiring in June 2018? or am I too early to apply for extension. When I called CIC call center they informed me that I should wait until 3 months before the expiry of my current PGWP before applying for extension. i.e according to them, I should apply only in march 2018. But my concern is that if I apply for PGWP extension in March 2018 and if it gets rejected then I shall not have enough time to apply for LMIA based work permit.

So can I apply for PGWP extension early i.e right now to have that buffer time?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I have completed a Master's degree from Quebec University. This is a 2 year program hence I was eligible for a 3 year work permit. But since my passport was expiring before three years of my application for PGWP I have received a PGWP which is valid for 2 years and 2 months. My PGWP expiries in June 2018.

Now I have renewed my Passport and I know that I can now apply for PGWP extension. My question is can I apply for PGWP extension right now if my current PGWP is expiring in June 2018? or am I too early to apply for extension. When I called CIC call center they informed me that I should wait until 3 months before the expiry of my current PGWP before applying for extension. i.e according to them, I should apply only in march 2018. But my concern is that if I apply for PGWP extension in March 2018 and if it gets rejected then I shall not have enough time to apply for LMIA based work permit.

So can I apply for PGWP extension early i.e right now to have that buffer time?
Hi

You can apply now for the extension.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ok thanks and do you think CIC will not reject my application for applying for renewal too early?
No, they will not reject the application. Your work permit was limited solely based on the expiry of your passport, so it is perfectly fine to apply for the remaining time as soon as you have a new passport.